Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

Good! Hopefully this policy will spread throughout the cruise industry, thereby providing a little financial protection for the onboard staff!

What would be even better would be to see all cruises advertised with prices that stated

"Inclusive of all service charges" and then the FULL income (no % to the cruise line) from the service charges paid as part of the employees weekly/monthly pay packet.)

It works in other countries.

I agree that this is a good thing. Cruise ship staff/crew shouldn't have to suffer because passengers are unhappy about things that the workers generally don't even have control over.

If things on a cruise are really so bad that I want part of my money back, then I would rather punish corporate by not crusing with that line again.

I agree that this is a good thing. Cruise ship staff/crew shouldn't have to suffer because passengers are unhappy about things that the workers generally don't even have control over.

If things on a cruise are really so bad that I want part of my money back, then I would rather punish corporate by not crusing with that line again.

When my husband, daughter and I went on our first cruise earlier this year (Carnival Ecstasy), we were impressed with the overall workings of the crew. They were so pleasant and professional, and were an integral part to our overall cruise experience. Why would anyone be so friggin' cheap to cut off their tips is beyond me:mad:

What would be even better would be to see all cruises advertised with prices that stated

"Inclusive of all service charges" and then the FULL income (no % to the cruise line) from the service charges paid as part of the employees weekly/monthly pay packet.)

Now that seems like a good idea.

Until they update brochures and the web sites that will break EU regulation on hidden compulsory charges that have to be clear up front.

They will still need to allow removal on request(no reason).

The cruise line that are currently compulsory charges make it very clear in their booking process.

Until they update brochures and the web sites that will break EU regulation on hidden compulsory charges that have to be clear up front.

The cruise line that are currently compulsory charges make it very clear in their booking process.

I'm not a lawyer and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but the only thing that has changed is the way the adjustment is made, it's still not compulsory.

I think MSC lost a couple of cases in court over their older service charge system as they did not mark it properly in their advertised total fare. The problem I see here with the new NCL system is that you only get your money back after they already kept it for a few weeks.

But as always they don't care about local laws and in the end the cruise lines will be crying over stricter regulations in Europe.

It's stuff like this that keep lawyers in business;). (I will be visiting Germany next week, really looking forward to it.)

Agreed!

No way did they change it to compulsory/mandatory (even though I wish they would), they have only changed how you get reimbursed for the amount you don't want to pay. Edited by NLH Arizona

No way did they change it to compulsory/mandatory (even though I wish they would), they have only changed how you get reimbursed for the amount you don't want to pay.

That's is the problem they should be not charged on request(which is refundable immediately).

No service issues are needed,

Just a refund my services charges because I don't want to pay them.

That's is the problem they should be not charged on request(which is refundable immediately).

No service issues are needed,

Just a refund my services charges because I don't want to pay them.

This part I understand, what is "not charged on request?"

Ironic that, just 10 days ago the mods come here and tell folks about keeping it civil, personal attacks, and all of that and then today the Sr. Manager of Cruise Critic Community comes in and starts a tipping thread -- the biggest troll and most inflammatory topic one could ask for.

Just wow.

Edited by triptolemus

Ironic that, just 10 days ago the mods come here and tell folks about keeping it civil, personal attacks, and all of that and then today the Sr. Manager of Cruise Critic Community comes in and starts a tipping thread -- the biggest troll and most inflammatory topic one could ask for.

Just wow.

:D I know, this thought crossed my mind as well - but I think it was just easier to have a stickied post instead of so many individual threads for the mods to monitor and have the information posted in a non biased way.

This new policy doesn't effect me, as I always prepay, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out on debarkation morning of my upcoming cruise, or the prior evening lol :rolleyes:

Edited by aubreyc1988

• Administrators
:D I know, this thought crossed my mind as well - but I think it was just easier to have a stickied post instead of so many individual threads for the mods to monitor and have the information posted in a non biased way.

This new policy doesn't effect me, as I always prepay, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out on debarkation morning of my upcoming cruise, or the prior evening lol :rolleyes:

Hello:

These are auto-feed, dynamically-generated threads created when our editorial team writes a new article, feature or news story.

They are automatically posted in the forum and "stickied" for a period of 24 hours.

Laura