muster drills

SeaBands

We have been told repeatedly, by the concierges - who should know this stuff - there is no special muster drill for people with disabilities.

I have pleaded with people at all levels to let him stay inside - he has MS and heat really affects him and makes him woozy.

They won't listen. I tell them of the dangers of getting over that threshold. It falls on deaf ears.

I have written about it on comment cards and surveys.

DH does not benefit from the drill, as the heat usually makes him doze off.

Plus - HAL has crew assigned to people with disabilities in case of an emergency. DH would be attended to by the crew member assigned to him.

(I found this out when I interviewed a Hotel Manager for a story.)

I honestly do not understand this.:confused: My DH walks with a cane, some days has to use a wheelchair - and we were informed up front, without us asking, about the special muster so he would not have to stand too long. It has been available on each ship. I just cannot explain why you are getting that response from the concierges. However, we usually go to the regular one with him in his wheelchair, and I can lean on it.;) Whilst at muster on our last cruise, I watched a couple of our roll call members come and check in with the muster captain and then go to the atrium for the muster drill.

This is so frustrating!!

I cannot tell you how many people I went to on our cruises to ask.

Everyone has been insistent that there is no special muster.

I told the concierge I had read on CC about the alternative muster, he made calls to the front desk (or wherever) and was told there was no such thing!

DH cannot walk at all, so he doesn't have the option of parking his chair and walking outside.

I know on Westerdam, we were in one of the aft suites, and the doorway we had to go out onto the Promenade Deck was where the very high, metal threshold was. Not the same as with the other doors. That is where a man in a scooter nearly fell over.

DH gets very impatient with this situation, which makes it all the harder for me. :mad:

I have a friend whose father had to have surgery and spent three months in a nursing home after encountering a threshold on a ship (not HAL). The family is in litigation now. Her father never fully recovered from the incident.

We have been told repeatedly, by the concierges - who should know this stuff - there is no special muster drill for people with disabilities.

I have pleaded with people at all levels to let him stay inside - he has MS and heat really affects him and makes him woozy.

They won't listen. I tell them of the dangers of getting over that threshold. It falls on deaf ears.

I have written about it on comment cards and surveys.

DH does not benefit from the drill, as the heat usually makes him doze off.

Plus - HAL has crew assigned to people with disabilities in case of an emergency. DH would be attended to by the crew member assigned to him.

(I found this out when I interviewed a Hotel Manager for a story.)

I agree, this is all very frustrating.

Am I understanding this correctly, a specific crew member is assigned to your husband? Does this crew member go with him or meet him at the drill? If I might need assistance, I'd want to know who would be helping me so that we could recognize each other. I think there should be a special muster so that passengers can meet their helpers.

This is so frustrating!!

I told the concierge I had read on CC about the alternative muster, he made calls to the front desk (or wherever) and was told there was no such thing!

DH cannot walk at all, so he doesn't have the option of parking his chair and walking outside.

I know on Westerdam, we were in one of the aft suites, and the doorway we had to go out onto the Promenade Deck was where the very high, metal threshold was. Not the same as with the other doors. That is where a man in a scooter nearly fell over.

DH gets very impatient with this situation, which makes it all the harder for me. :mad:

I have a friend whose father had to have surgery and spent three months in a nursing home after encountering a threshold on a ship (not HAL). The family is in litigation now. Her father never fully recovered from the incident.

this smells to high heaven. and I DON'T mean your post. I mean the lack of help.

I have seen special musters for those that need assistance. This just seems nuts.

This is one thing that should be consistent. If I were you I would call shipboard services in advance and ask where and how it is. Seattle might be inaccurate, but shipboard services is usually pretty good IMO and if they send you an email to confirm, at least you have something when you get on board and get the run a round.

No excuse for this and it should be consistent.

This is so frustrating!!

I wonder if the difference is in "DH cannot walk at all" meaning, I assume, that he uses a wheelchair or a scooter. In that case, he has to attend the regular drill, as he is able to sit. I know that sounds like grasping at straws, but that is the rule as I understand it. When my DH is in his wheelchair and seated, he has to attend the regular drill at the lifeboat station.

It seems to me that all ships would have to abide by ADA rules requiring accommodation be made for guests who cannot safely attend the regular muster drill.

ADA only applies in the United States. Lots of people embark, and attend muster drills, in foreign countries.

HAL should be making reasonable accommodation not because it's the law. They should be doing it because it's good business practice and the right thing to do.

If everyone, including the crew took the drills seriously, they would not take as long. Last Nov we did a B2B on the NA. This was when they were telling you to stay in your room until the alarms. Our cabin steward insisted we were to "go up now" instead of waiting. Sorry guy, we waited and followed instructions. We were the last ones there. Talking was so loud, we could not hear our cabin called. Almost marked absent. Next time, we waited again, and when we went to leave, and there was a card in our door that said "EVACUATED". No one ever checked. (We had a different steward). Again, the talking was so bad up top, with people drinking, and making their week plans. Lots of crew just standing around, letting it go on. This continued the whole duration of the drill. If people cannot shut up while the instructions are being done over the loudspeaker, what makes you think they will watch the drill on the TV?

If there was an emergency, I for one would like to know what to do. Maybe they should have 2 groups. Those that one to know, and those that want to swim ashore because they don't want to take 15-20 minutes of their time to find out how to save their lives.

Last Saturday on the Maasdam, those doing b2b did not have to attend. The passenger lists used for attendance had the names of repeating passengers highlighted in yellow.

While DW and I are physically capable of standing outside for a half-hour or so at your assigned lifeboat, we do prefer the approach of those lines that hold the drill at assigned indoor muster locations. Benefits include a professionally prepared AV to cover all elements of an emergency in a quiet, comfortable environment enables you pay full attention to what is being said; accommodation for those with physical limitations; and scanners for taking attendance. The major benefit is that everyone can actually see the screen and both see and hear the instructions, whereas only the front row or tall passengers have any hope of seeing the lifejacket demo when pax are stacked six rows deep on a HAL deck.

If everyone, including the crew took the drills seriously, they would not take as long. Last Nov we did a B2B on the NA. This was when they were telling you to stay in your room until the alarms. Our cabin steward insisted we were to "go up now" instead of waiting. Sorry guy, we waited and followed instructions. We were the last ones there. Talking was so loud, we could not hear our cabin called. Almost marked absent. Next time, we waited again, and when we went to leave, and there was a card in our door that said "EVACUATED". No one ever checked. (We had a different steward). Again, the talking was so bad up top, with people drinking, and making their week plans. Lots of crew just standing around, letting it go on. This continued the whole duration of the drill. If people cannot shut up while the instructions are being done over the loudspeaker, what makes you think they will watch the drill on the TV?

If there was an emergency, I for one would like to know what to do. Maybe they should have 2 groups. Those that one to know, and those that want to swim ashore because they don't want to take 15-20 minutes of their time to find out how to save their lives.

We experienced similar on a few cruises. The worst for talking and ignoring the drill was on the Zaandam. Most people were okay, but there was a group of about 6 people who just kept talking, droning on about unimportant crap. Finally we had enough and asked them to please be quiet as we would like to hear the instructions. They gave us lots of dirty looks but did shut up. I often wonder how prepared these type of people would be in a real emergency situation.

If people would just follow directions and shut up and listen, the drill would not take so long for the rest of us.

As most of our cruises/crossings have been on British ships, our recent Alaska cruise on the Noordam was the first time in 28 years that we have had to stand outside for muster. It was a fine day and, despite my wife's issues with two knee replacements, it wasn't difficult. I sympathise with those who have more serious mobility issues.

It surprises me that Cunard does not take "roll call" of passengers' attendance and I am pleased that HAL does. There were only a few obnoxious passengers who can't do without a drink or loud conversation for 20 minutes. We were at the end of the crowd for our lifeboat; therefore close to the adjacent one. The woman in charge of the adjacent lifeboat had a louder voice than the chap in charge of our boat. It was a bit of a strain to hear our names being called. I like the idea of cards being swiped instead.

Before every muster... starting one or two hours before... your TV is set for the emergency information channel. That information regarding to the musters and lots of other information is there for everyone to see and hear in their own cabin. I doubt very people take any bother. That is the reason why the muster is necessary. In addition... some people just would not be able to find out on their own. Everyone had their own responsibility for their own safety.

Again... not all ships are the same. Every ship will do things differently. The reason quite simply... the ships are different from classes ships within one cruise line and then different from one cruise line to another. Everyone have their own responsibilities. If you have a problem with the muster for any reason... come and ask someone before the muster.

Don't blow everyone's idea that these drills are not important. Better think the two words "Costa Concordia'!

HAL has always had us to report to our lifeboat station for lifeboat drill.

On the Prinsendam in July, we had an inside life boat muster. The winds off of the North Sea were pretty bad in Ijmuiden that day.

My first HAL inside lifeboat drill in twenty years.

John

ok I am getting a little concerned.....what happens if I am mixed in with group of noisy individuals and don't hear my cabin number/name called at muster drill......do they get mad thinking I did not attend or do they come hunting me down later and me tell them I was there???

ok I am getting a little concerned.....what happens if I am mixed in with group of noisy individuals and don't hear my cabin number/name called at muster drill......do they get mad thinking I did not attend or do they come hunting me down later and me tell them I was there???

If you are concerned about not hearing your cabin number, stand at the front of the group as close as you can to the crew member making the announcement.

We have always found muster drills on HAL to appear to be very disorganized and a frustrating experience. Our very worst was at Canada Place with a muster drill while the ship was still being loaded. Very loud and lots of annoyed people voicing their exasperation. I always think if this is what things are like when we are tied to the pier, I can only imagine the total chaos that will ensure in a real emergency.

We always attend the muster drill and then later on the first day, we leave our cabin and head for our life boat number again. It gives us a chance to familiarize ourselves with the route from our cabin without having the hassle to deal with the crowds. We always walk the emergency exit in hotels also.

They go over the list of numbers again for people who didn't hear or got there late. Or, when they "dismiss" everyone, you could go to the attendance-taker

and explain that you couldn't hear. They'll understand. They only get mad at the people who hide in their cabins and get rousted during the "sweep."

If you are concerned about not hearing your cabin number, stand at the front of the group as close as you can to the crew member making the announcement.

We have always found muster drills on HAL to appear to be very disorganized and a frustrating experience. Our very worst was at Canada Place with a muster drill while the ship was still being loaded. Very loud and lots of annoyed people voicing their exasperation. I always think if this is what things are like when we are tied to the pier, I can only imagine the total chaos that will ensure in a real emergency.

We always attend the muster drill and then later on the first day, we leave our cabin and head for our life boat number again. It gives us a chance to familiarize ourselves with the route from our cabin without having the hassle to deal with the crowds. We always walk the emergency exit in hotels also.

I can't remember what it's like on Vistas, but on an S-class ship, you have no way to choose where you stand. There's so little space that people are just herded into the crowd and everyone just sort of squishes in.

I've experienced the port noise during the drill, and it does make it hard to hear. Last time, they had someone with the list at one end of the group and a second crew member at the other end, repeating the numbers. That helped a lot, but it was so noisy that sometimes the crew couldn't hear passengers call out "here!" in response to their cabin numbers.

well normally I do go early for important events and I do sit/stand in front so I can hear and observe well but based on the conversation on this board it sounds like mass confusion and a herd of cattle getting pushed around.......and with that going on I am not going to push my way to the front and be annoying like some people can be ......our muster drills on princess with scanners were so easy and I cant see where a scanner could cost them that much ..........oh well......I guess the worst they can do is fuss at me!!

well normally I do go early for important events and I do sit/stand in front so I can hear and observe well but based on the conversation on this board it sounds like mass confusion and a herd of cattle getting pushed around.......and with that going on I am not going to push my way to the front and be annoying like some people can be ......our muster drills on princess with scanners were so easy and I cant see where a scanner could cost them that much ..........oh well......I guess the worst they can do is fuss at me!!

Our muster drill on X was also so much easier. We just reported to the dining room and watched a video. I would suggest that you not go too early for HAL's muster drill, as chances are really good that you will just find yourself standing in the back. Give yourself enough time to get there and you will most likely stand close to the front and be able to hear.

A few HAL ships do have scanners. However, in either case when you get to the Muster area find the crew member with the clipboard or scanner and take care of it right away. Then they won't have to call out your cabin number.

It's really not the bedlam that some people are making it out to be. We've been a fair number of HAL cruises and have never had a problem hearing our cabin called. Most people are orderly, and when they're not, odds are someone will tell them to shut up.

Our muster drill on X was also so much easier. We just reported to the dining room and watched a video. I would suggest that you not go too early for HAL's muster drill, as chances are really good that you will just find yourself standing in the back. Give yourself enough time to get there and you will most likely stand close to the front and be able to hear.

If you're a man you can't stand close to the front; if you're a woman you won't be pushed to the back.

If you're a man you can't stand close to the front; if you're a woman you won't be pushed to the back.

I don't know where you ever got this idea. Sorry, but it just is not the case.

I always go to the muster drills a bit early so I can be at the back of the group. This way I have something to lean against or maybe even sit on. Unfortunately, this means I can’t see what is going on and usually can’t hear either. But the ship is happy that I’ve attended the drill.

Really a significant experience for me… NOT.

I also wonder about the folks who have reasons why they can’t get to their assigned lifeboats for the drill, due to mobility problems, high thresholds in the doorways, etc. What would they do in the case of a real emergency?

Scott & Karen