NCL Getaway Connecting Staterooms and Reservations

gandoratze42

Hi

We are planning to book two staterooms with another family and would like connecting staterooms. One family is interested in a family mini suite and the other is ok with a family balcony. Can anyone tell me how connecting cabins work and whether the cabins that connect are different types or the same? Also any recommendations for good cabins are welcome. I got some great advice here once on a "secret" cabin with an extra large balcony due to ship design :-)

Also, it looks like we'd need to call to book since you can only book one at a time online? Anyone think a travel agent or cruises only is better than just going directly through NCL?

Thanks!

Connecting cabins mean that you have a door between the cabins effectively making them one big cabin when the door is open. So the question is do you really want to have connecting cabins - unless you want to be able to go to another family's cabin without going out to the corridor, you won't benefit from having connecting cabins.

I'm not too familiar with connecting cabin combinations on Breakaway class ships, but usually connecting cabins are the same category (eg. balcony to balcony, minisuite to minisuite) but there are some exceptions like a balcony or minisuite next to a full suite (at least on Dawn class and Jewel class ships).

No matter the booking method, you can only book one cabin per reservation. Unlike with other cruise lines, you do not need to (or even benefit from) linking the reservations, so this is no problem. If you choose to make dinner reservations in advance, you can do them (up to 8 guests) from one reservation.

What comes to booking, I prefer using a TA. Our TA (found from Cruise Critic's Cruise Agencies listing, forum rules forbid naming/recommending TAs or PCCs) gives us always about 10% of the cruise fare in price reduction and/or OBC (they share part of their commission with us).

If you book directly with NCL (either by self-service online, calling to a random CSR or a named PCC), the company pockets the commission they normally would pay to a TA and with a good TA, there is really not much difference in service between booking direct or through a TA.

• 3 months later...

There are actually a lot of connecting cabins on the getaway - but you have to go through a travel agent or NCL rep to know which ones are available.

I personally wouldn't share with another family, but my family of 5 had one over the summer (kids in one, parents in another). It worked out well!

Hi

We are planning to book two staterooms with another family and would like connecting staterooms. One family is interested in a family mini suite and the other is ok with a family balcony. Can anyone tell me how connecting cabins work and whether the cabins that connect are different types or the same? Also any recommendations for good cabins are welcome. I got some great advice here once on a "secret" cabin with an extra large balcony due to ship design :-)

Also, it looks like we'd need to call to book since you can only book one at a time online? Anyone think a travel agent or cruises only is better than just going directly through NCL?

Thanks!

There are actually a lot of connecting cabins on the getaway - but you have to go through a travel agent or NCL rep to know which ones are available.

Why would one "have to go through a TA or NCL rep"? The connecting ones show on deck plans (many people not needing one usually tend to avoid them when choosing a cabin) and one can spot them just fine online.

On Breakaway class ships most connecting cabins are located on decks 12 and 13, close to kids' activities.

Well the NCL website only lets you book one room at a time, so it may be difficult to book the connecting rooms at the same time.. I used the NCL rep - which was great. He easily found us connecting rooms and gave us plenty of cruising tips - which was great since it was out first cruise...

Why would one "have to go through a TA or NCL rep"? The connecting ones show on deck plans (many people not needing one usually tend to avoid them when choosing a cabin) and one can spot them just fine online.

On Breakaway class ships most connecting cabins are located on decks 12 and 13, close to kids' activities.

I personally wouldn't share with another family, but my family of 5 had one over the summer (kids in one, parents in another). It worked out well!

No you don't. You will see all the available cabins when you go to book. We have two groups of three and have sailed the GA twice. Both times in connecting cabins. I booked both cabins on each cruise right in NCL.com with no problem.

Well the NCL website only lets you book one room at a time, so it may be difficult to book the connecting rooms at the same time.. I used the NCL rep - which was great. He easily found us connecting rooms and gave us plenty of cruising tips - which was great since it was out first cruise...

That is completely different from what you stated earlier. The fact that you feel that something is easier and that you were happy to get first-timer tips, does not mean that everyone would "have to" do it like you did in order to book connecting cabins or even to see the availability - even if the booking part would be easier, one can still see the availability (max 15 cabins per category) without any problems online.

And as the other poster also stated, we too have booked adjacent (not connecting) cabins several times online without any difficulty, our next cruise is three adjacent cabins and I had no problem booking them all online through our TA's website one by one.

We have connecting balcony cabins on Sunday's Getaway NYE cruise. I went to the NCL website, researched the cabins available (they actually give you the cabin #'s available when you put in the search criteria) then called NCL and told them which cabins we wanted! We like to know what will be above and below us on any cruise. When you go to the NCL website the connecting cabins will have an arrow between the cabins showing they are connecting. My advice - educate yourself first, then call NCL (or a travel agent if you have one - I prefer NCL direct) tell them the cabins you are interested in, and you are done! BTW - unless you are really good friends with the family you are traveling with, you probably won't keep the connecting door open too much, (privacy issues) so being next to each other without a connecting door might be better. Good luck!

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2015 at 8:54 PM, cantonoh1753 said:

Hi! I know this is an old post but if you remember wondering if you can share your cabin numbers. I too have a fam of 5(3 kids under 12). We’d like to book this way but I wanted to make sure the “connecting” door is actually inside not on the balcony. Could you offer any insights? Thanks!

None of the connecting cabins connect via balconies. Connecting cabins share an interior door. 

If you are looking to pair a mini-suite and a balcony cabin with a connecting interior door you should try these pairs:

12180/12182, 12780/12782, 12236/12238 and 12836/12838

The entrance to Splash Academy is on deck 12 and the balcony cabin in each of these pairs is an angled balcony so it is much larger than a regular balcony. 

I think the idea of using a TA or NCL PCC is a good one. You can do this yourself but not all websites show all available cabins. A travel professional can tell you if any of these pairs are available and get you what you want.

19 minutes ago, mgel728 said:

We’d like to book this way but I wanted to make sure the “connecting” door is actually inside not on the balcony. Could you offer any insights? Thanks!

As noted, none of the connecting rooms "connect" via the balcony. The connection is within the stateroom. 

If you look on the deck plans and see 2 arrows between the 2 staterooms...

deck_legend_connecting.png  Connecting

...it is a connecting stateroom. 

Be aware that NCL policy is to not allow the balcony dividers to remain open for passenger enjoyment. 

On 12/22/2015 at 11:14 PM, EyeSeaEwe said:

No you don't. You will see all the available cabins when you go to book. We have two groups of three and have sailed the GA twice. Both times in connecting cabins. I booked both cabins on each cruise right in NCL.com with no problem.

No, you won’t. The NCL site only shows 15 available cabins max. There may literally be hundreds to choose from that you can’t see. Only an NCL rep or travel agent can see all available rooms in a category.