Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

And also P&O seem incapable of knowing when people are on linked bookings and possibly be travelling together. We went on Oriana in August and were given a 2pm check in, as were our friends in the next cabin. Her elderly parents who were on a diffeeent deck were given a 3pm check in despite needing help and assistance from their daughter to get on board. Plus they also don't know how people are going to arrive at the terminal,,they might give people an early check in times but all those people might be arriving in coaches at 2pm..therefore loads of space at early check in with no passengers!

Have promised to say nothing, so will refrain --------- Its killing me though

Whenever P&O say "we have listened to your feedback and....." It is usually a veiled spin to introduce a change. I'm not arguing for or against the changes I'm just making an observation that they seem to make sweeping statements that seem unfounded. They used this when they changed Portunus benefits, this is something THEY needed to do from a strategic perspective, but why would people ask for something which was for the majority a downgrade? Nonsensical. As for check in times I can't say I'm bothered one way or the other, what will be will be, and I'm not going to waste energy worrying about it!

Have read this thread from beginning to end...and the following saying comes to mind...

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

...but it seems P & O are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Change is inevitable .... Deal with it.

I will now follow Presto2 's lead.......( and put head back under the parapet!)

Have read this thread from beginning to end...and the following saying comes to mind...

I will now follow Presto2 's lead.......( and put head back under the parapet!)

Have promised to say nothing, so will refrain --------- Its killing me though :D

My point exactly. People turn up when they want and selfishly don't care about anyone else.

Does it not state in the terms & conditions that they reserve the right to 'change' such things.

I'm on Azura in December and the whole first weeks itinery has changed and I cannot do a thing about it.

Sorry to move away from the main thread - what has changed on the December cruise and which cruise

I asked them about this in their official facebook page a couple of months ago and they said they did trial it (I never read or heard from anybody who had taking part in alleged trial) and they decided they were not going to implement it, instead going with this new one which is apparently what passengers have requested (having cabins readynon embarkation), again I've not read or heard of anybody who has actually given them this feedback!

We cruised with celebrity this year and were asked during the booking process which time we were likely to arrive and what time we would like to disembark, we were on board by 11.15 and off by 7.45... No problems at all.

P&O are useless and couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery

Thank you for that, I was beginning to think I had imagined it. Remember reading it on their homepage then never heard anything, not even on any of the forums. Like you I don't believe they trialled it at all. I expect their IT guys told them that the computer system could not handle it, they are always having trouble with it as it is.

I was also told last year that they were trialling an All Inclusive Drinks Package on Cunard and if successful may be rolled out to P&O but never heard any more on that one either 😥

Like you I have never had any problems with Celebrity either checking in or disembarking. Its the same checkin staff at the same terminals so not sure why P&O seem to have problems.

We too travel down on the day and leave home in plenty of time. Our last 2 cruises had check in times of 3:30 - a little too close to departure time for comfort.

The problem with arriving in Southampton and filling the time between arrival and embarkation is that you have a car full of luggage which we would be reluctant to leave in a car park.

For years P&O have given embarkation times and we have ignored them. So why now? After all we waited until 2:00 before boarding in the days before lunch was available on board so if we have to wait so be it.

One question - what happens if you are, as part of the loyalty scheme, if you are entitled to the special lunch on board.

Who decides when you can get on L have met people from Southampton who have very early times?

Thank you for that, I was beginning to think I had imagined it. Remember reading it on their homepage then never heard anything, not even on any of the forums. Like you I don't believe they trialled it at all. I expect their IT guys told them that the computer system could not handle it, they are always having trouble with it as it is.

I was also told last year that they were trialling an All Inclusive Drinks Package on Cunard and if successful may be rolled out to P&O but never heard any more on that one either [emoji26]

Like you I have never had any problems with Celebrity either checking in or disembarking. Its the same checkin staff at the same terminals so not sure why P&O seem to have problems.

Sorry not the same check in people and not the same terminal although this should not make a difference.

We too travel down on the day and leave home in plenty of time. Our last 2 cruises had check in times of 3:30 - a little too close to departure time for comfort.

The problem with arriving in Southampton and filling the time between arrival and embarkation is that you have a car full of luggage which we would be reluctant to leave in a car park.

For years P&O have given embarkation times and we have ignored them. So why now? After all we waited until 2:00 before boarding in the days before lunch was available on board so if we have to wait so be it.

One question - what happens if you are, as part of the loyalty scheme, if you are entitled to the special lunch on board.

Who decides when you can get on L have met people from Southampton who have very early times?

No lunch now, well not on Britannia. The free drink and some food is held in Sindhu. Between 13.30 and 15.30.

The company say they have done this because people had asked for the cabins to be ready on boarding. Some people should be careful what they ask for. I suggest all those who do not like it say so in the questionnaire. Don't just moan do something. Of course for many people there will be little difference as people have always boarded up until about 16.00.

The other thing with Britannia is that sailing is now put back to around 18.00.

No lunch now, well not on Britannia. The free drink and some food is held in Sindhu. Between 13.30 and 15.30.

The company say they have done this because people had asked for the cabins to be ready on boarding. Some people should be careful what they ask for. I suggest all those who do not like it say so in the questionnaire. Don't just moan do something. Of course for many people there will be little difference as people have always boarded up until about 16.00.

The other thing with Britannia is that sailing is now put back to around 18.00.

Well we had a champagne lunch on Britannia as soon as we boarded last July. I'm Caribbean. We arrived at 11:30, were on board by 12:15/12:30 and went straight in to lunch. Our tickets originally said 14:00 then changed to 13:00 boarding time.

Well we had a champagne lunch on Britannia as soon as we boarded last July. I'm Caribbean. We arrived at 11:30, were on board by 12:15/12:30 and went straight in to lunch. Our tickets originally said 14:00 then changed to 13:00 boarding time.

Hi Michael,

True when you were on but the have changed in the last 3/4 cruises. Boarding does not start until 12.30 and goes on past 16.00. We have has the email for our cruise on Friday. If you have 15.30 you will get a letter for that time. If you are Caribbean + you will be first on in your slot. Only Ligurian get on early ie 12.30.

We have sailed many times over the years with Cunard and even on our first cruise way back the cabins were always ready when you boarded. Could it be a question of the bean counters cutting down on stewards and once again giving no thought to the customer! I know on change over day the Cunard stewards have help to work more efficiently. If the cruise lines with mega passenger numbers can get them off and on in a relatively short time why can't P & O? Surely management need to address this? We have sailed with P & O on the smaller ships and not had a problem but people also say that no problems are encountered on Azura and Ventura so why is Britannia causing such an issue, perhaps more embarking passengers need more check-in staff and a more efficient check-in system - but that would entail P & O/Carnival spending some of their profits to assist passengers! Rant over

JACKIE

An I missing some playground joke???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had posted that I would shut up and say no more re the matter --- was trying to be a little light hearted and when seeing some posts have been desperate to answer but had promised not to.

Have replied to this one though as I was miffed re the 'playground joke' comment and felt it was an unnecessary remark.

We have sailed many times over the years with Cunard and even on our first cruise way back the cabins were always ready when you boarded. Could it be a question of the bean counters cutting down on stewards and once again giving no thought to the customer! I know on change over day the Cunard stewards have help to work more efficiently. If the cruise lines with mega passenger numbers can get them off and on in a relatively short time why can't P & O? Surely management need to address this? We have sailed with P & O on the smaller ships and not had a problem but people also say that no problems are encountered on Azura and Ventura so why is Britannia causing such an issue, perhaps more embarking passengers need more check-in staff and a more efficient check-in system - but that would entail P & O/Carnival spending some of their profits to assist passengers! Rant over

JACKIE

When we started with P&O the cabins were not ready until after 15.00. You did not embark until 14.00. That was in 2001. So it has nothing to do with these mythical bean counters. It is just a different way of doing things.

Britannia is only the start so it is not just a problem with Britannia as you say. People are already saying it is starting on Azure. Look at the start of this tread.

When we started with P&O the cabins were not ready until after 15.00. You did not embark until 14.00. That was in 2001. So it has nothing to do with these mythical bean counters. It is just a different way of doing things.

Britannia is only the start so it is not just a problem with Britannia as you say. People are already saying it is starting on Azure. Look at the start of this tread.

Crikey, that puts it into perspective then ! Things really have changed quite a lot and people got earlier and earlier re embarkation so that those of us relatively new to cruising think it is the norm to get on early. Perhaps P&O could have handled it better and explained the reasoning better or given us more notice re the changes. Just a thought.

Cunard have always managed to have cabins ready when you embark, never could understand why p&o couldn't manage it, but they seem incapable of sorting it. Cunard do Queens Grills. Princess Grills. Diamond members, platinum members and then normal boarding commences...we would certainly not consider any further short cruises with p&o now as if you get a 3.30 slot most Of your first day is gone before you even get on board...

And I'm with Dai (for a change :eek:) people should be making their voices heard on the questionnaires and on the official facebook and Twitter pages

Crikey, that puts it into perspective then ! Things really have changed quite a lot and people got earlier and earlier re embarkation so that those of us relatively new to cruising think it is the norm to get on early. Perhaps P&O could have handled it better and explained the reasoning better or given us more notice re the changes. Just a thought.

Yes in the old Mayflower terminal, well not that long ago. You queued to check in and then went through security. You then were given a letter or coloured card and you waited until 14.00. People in suites went first then assisted passengers then they started on the cards. Those who were 'Gold' would be taken to a lounge for champagne and I seem to remember afternoon tea. People still arrived before 12 but then had a 2 hour wait. So a bit like now.

Hi Michael,

True when you were on but the have changed in the last 3/4 cruises. Boarding does not start until 12.30 and goes on past 16.00. We have has the email for our cruise on Friday. If you have 15.30 you will get a letter for that time. If you are Caribbean + you will be first on in your slot. Only Ligurian get on early ie 12.30.

What time have you got Dai ?

Yes in the old Mayflower terminal, well not that long ago. You queued to check in and then went through security. You then were given a letter or coloured card and you waited until 14.00. People in suites went first then assisted passengers then they started on the cards. Those who were 'Gold' would be taken to a lounge for champagne and I seem to remember afternoon tea. People still arrived before 12 but then had a 2 hour wait. So a bit like now.

Have to say, this background info is really important to newbies like us. The more I think about it the more I think that P&O have seen that they've allowed a problem re people arriving very early and now tried to deal with it but haven't done a very good PR job. Thanks Dai :)

Ventura too as I have just received an email about my cruise in 5 weeks time with a 3.30 boarding time. We will just be on in time for muster. No lunch then:mad:

My first cruise with P&O was 2005 and I'd forgotten that we did seem to have a longer wait, although I can't remember the time at all.

Hey.. thanks for the laugh Presto2. I kept coming back to see if you were still twitching and resisting! :)

Gave me a Sunday morning giggle.

Glad you got the humour :)

I have tried very hard but failed miserably tonight. ;)