Holland vs Princess

lmccray

We did Allure and Getaway last year as a break from HAL. Had a wonderful time on both. We're back to HAL for the next one but would go back to Allure (same size as Oasis) or Getaway in a heartbeat.

I have said it before, we traded walkers and carts on HAL for strollers and screaming kids on Allure and Getaway. We found places to sit and relax away from the maddening crowd on all of them.

Dan

I'll take walkers and carts over screaming kids any day. Never been on Hal, it looks like I am going to like it. Calm and quiet environment is exactly what I want.

I'll take walkers and carts over screaming kids any day. Never been on Hal, it looks like I am going to like it. Calm and quiet environment is exactly what I want.

Hmmm. When a screaming kid runs into me they usually bounce off. But when a reckless scooter driver runs over your foot or crashes into the back of your legs you need medical attention.

Han

Hmmm. When a screaming kid runs into me they usually bounce off. But when a reckless scooter driver runs over your foot or crashes into the back of your legs you need medical attention.

Han

LOL, funny, does that actually happen? The scooter over your leg I mean?

Han

Fortunately I've never had either happen.

We did walk past a very unhappy mom dragging her screaming much more unhappy child into the changing/restroom near the kid pool on the Allure. Looked at my DW and said glad it's not us.

Dan

Edited by dogo88

We do. There is something about sitting on the teak lounge chair on the Promenade Deck and reading my book while watching the sea go by that just is hard to beat.

Dan

We do. There is something about sitting on the teak lounge chair on the Promenade Deck and reading my book while watching the sea go by that just is hard to beat.

Dan

Sure is! I love the peace and quiet you can find on HAL.

Although for people who are worried about screaming kids, note that there were some reports of lots of kids on a few summer cruises this year. So even on HAL, if you cruise during a school holiday, you might encounter more noise than at other times of the year. But the noise will be at the pool, not on the Promenade Deck.

We are the opposite. We will take a few kids any day over scooters, walkers, and entitled folks who like to think of HAL as a so called 'premium' cruise line.

In our experience there is not much premium about HAL other than in people's imagination and aspiration.

Edited by iancal

But HAL does have a problem with kids. You see, the genius planners at Seattle decided, a few years ago. to remove the aft pools from a couple of ships (Rotterdam and Veendam) so they could cram in a few extra cabins on the deck below. The result is that these ships only have a single pool for well over 1200 passengers. And what do you think happens when there are a few kids and teens on the ship? They take over that single pool and the poor grown ups do not have a place to swim their laps, stand in the pool, etc.

Hank

We are the opposite. We will take a few kids any day over scooters, walkers, and entitled folks who like to think of HAL as a so called 'premium' cruise line.

In our experience there is not much premium about HAL other than in people's imagination and aspiration.

I've cruised HAL five times and never found it that stuffy. Did the impression of entitled folk come solely from fellow passengers while on cruises, or from the HAL boards on CC?

Finding the cost to be reasonable is actually one of the reasons I've cruised only HAL.

It's sorta like people that think celebrity is so great. That's the most over hyped cruise line ever.