Cape Liberty to EWR

DEEDIA

We are docking in at Cape Liberty and doing our own transfer to EWR, any ideas how long a Taxi ride would be and the cost, are there any other modes of Transport that would be available to us. Thank you Diane

A taxi ride to EWR should be no more than 30 min, but .....you are arriving on a TA, which means that no one on the ship has a car parked at Cape Liberty. Taxi cost would be $55-65. I would be booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmelimo so I would be sure of having transportation. There is a good chance the taxi dispatcher could be overwhelmed and there would be a long wait for a cab.

A taxi ride to EWR should be no more than 30 min, but .....you are arriving on a TA, which means that no one on the ship has a car parked at Cape Liberty. Taxi cost would be $55-65. I would be booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmelimo so I would be sure of having transportation. There is a good chance the taxi dispatcher could be overwhelmed and there would be a long wait for a cab.

Isn't there also a shuttle van that costs about $28 pp and just goes to EWR as it fills? I read that on the Cape Liberty 411 thread. It's how we are planning to do that transfer when we get off the Anthem TA in less than two months, so I hope it's still running. :)

Isn't there also a shuttle van that costs about $28 pp and just goes to EWR as it fills? I read that on the Cape Liberty 411 thread. It's how we are planning to do that transfer when we get off the Anthem TA in less than two months, so I hope it's still running. :)

Yes there is a "shuttle van" which could be almost any form of livery transportation that is filled with people and luggage and sent off to the airport.

Perhaps someone who did the Quantum TA can comment on the effect of 4000+ people arriving at Cape Liberty, none of whom had a car parked there. I didn't do that cruise, but I did arrive in Feb on a regular Q cruise in a snow storm and the taxi dispatcher was overwhelmed. I have done several TA's and repos where everyone on the cruise was competing to get off the ship early and get transportation to the airport. Two of those cruises arriving at Port Canaveral and Galveston were a disaster - many folks got stuck in long lines to get off the ship and through immigration and customs. On the PC arrival, many people missed their flights.

What time is your flight? I don't know what to advise you, but if it were me, I would want to have my transportation arrangements in place for Cape Liberty.

Yes there is a "shuttle van" which could be almost any form of livery transportation that is filled with people and luggage and sent off to the airport.

Perhaps someone who did the Quantum TA can comment on the effect of 4000+ people arriving at Cape Liberty, none of whom had a car parked there. I didn't do that cruise, but I did arrive in Feb on a regular Q cruise in a snow storm and the taxi dispatcher was overwhelmed. I have done several TA's and repos where everyone on the cruise was competing to get off the ship early and get transportation to the airport. Two of those cruises arriving at Port Canaveral and Galveston were a disaster - many folks got stuck in long lines to get off the ship and through immigration and customs. On the PC arrival, many people missed their flights.

What time is your flight? I don't know what to advise you, but if it were me, I would want to have my transportation arrangements in place for Cape Liberty.

Thanks Carol. We don't have a flight to catch. We are renting a car at the airport, so no time pressure. In fact, I think we'll do our best to hang out on the ship and do as much as we can to avoid the disembarkation craziness (probably still a challenge given the size of the ship).

Given that the shuttles were forced to raise their prices to what RCI charges for the transfer to the airport, I wonder if it makes sense to just use that. Any thoughts on that?

I do think the concerns you've expressed are good ones for those with time pressure. I will say, however, and I can only judge this from our Roll Call, there's a substantial number of Brits on board, and most seem to be going into Manhattan for a post-cruise visit, or have evening flights home.

Thanks Carol. We don't have a flight to catch. We are renting a car at the airport, so no time pressure. In fact, I think we'll do our best to hang out on the ship and do as much as we can to avoid the disembarkation craziness (probably still a challenge given the size of the ship).

Given that the shuttles were forced to raise their prices to what RCI charges for the transfer to the airport, I wonder if it makes sense to just use that. Any thoughts on that?

I do think the concerns you've expressed are good ones for those with time pressure. I will say, however, and I can only judge this from our Roll Call, there's a substantial number of Brits on board, and most seem to be going into Manhattan for a post-cruise visit, or have evening flights home.

The only thing I can say about a Cape Liberty arrival or departure is that it can be inconsistent. When it goes wrong, it really goes wrong. The Jan Q snow storm arrival was hideous - I took the first space in a shared vehicle to get me to a PATH station to go to Newark train station. I managed to make it by train to Boston that day, but couldn't get out to my house. Fortunately that morning I had had the sense to book a Boston Hotwire hotel and my insurance paid for it all!

In your case I would consider that any shuttle is going to drop you at the P4 Airtrain station or at one of the terminals, so you're going to have to schlep your luggage up to the Airtrain platform to ride to your rental car stop. At the taxi dispatcher I would ask the price to go directly to your rental car location. It might be worth a few extra $$$ to get dropped off exactly where you want to go.

In your case I would consider that any shuttle is going to drop you at the P4 Airtrain station or at one of the terminals, so you're going to have to schlep your luggage up to the Airtrain platform to ride to your rental car stop. At the taxi dispatcher I would ask the price to go directly to your rental car location. It might be worth a few extra $$$ to get dropped off exactly where you want to go.

Thanks! For the car rental, we have to go to station P3 on the Air Train. We did that once before, after arriving on an overnight flight from Buenos Aires, with all our luggage of course. We'll see how things are looking that morning when Anthem disgorges the two of us and 4,000 or so others! :)

Some sensible information being thrown about, and I'm listening. Our flight is not till 19.15 out of EWR so I thought no rush, we will just follow the rush by bringing up the rear. Have a nice Breakfast and disembark around 9am. Through Customs and find Transport around 10am, am I being realistic and practical.