5 hours to sample American culture...

Fofalola

Not sure what you will be able to see in 5 hours but if I wanted to see a very tiny portion of an American Culture see if Princess offers a tour of Miami. The Cuban culture in Miami, the beaches and bodies of Miami Beach and the food is something you will probably not forget. Maybe not Historical America but Miami is certainly a melting pot with lots of color and flair.

Miami has nothing to do with America and is not an American city. It is a foreign city and the Cuban culture in Miami is just that, Cuban.

South Florida is about the last place I would pick to try and have a sample of American culture. You have Ft. Lauderdale beach area, which someone I once new that worked there always referred to as Lala-Land where people driving Ferrari's are common, but go just a few miles inland (or even a few spots near the coast) and you get into some extremely high crime areas where you would likely be killed if caught stopped in a Ferrari or at the least have a very unpleasant day. .

Ike

Actually, that area is gentrifying at an alarmingly rapid rate. The crime in those areas has been marginalized to the point of being non existent.

To the OP, I would absolutely hop on the Water Taxi, ride it to Las Olas Boulevard and DEFINITELY eat at The Cheesecake Factory, It is quintessential Americana and has very good food.

Also, if this is a Saturday or Sunday, the brunch scene at American Social is quite that of American young thirty somethings.

If this happens to fall on the first Sunday of the month, I suggest stopping by the Publix on 17th Street, getting a picnic, hopping on the water taxi, and getting off on the first stop for Lexus Sunday Jazz Brunch http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/departments/parks-recreation/special-events/jazz-brunch which is a very local event. You'll see many families and friends and this is downtown paralleling Las Olas Boulevard. It doesn't get much more American than Publix fried chicken and a picnic.

Lastly, the Everglades is sort of redneck trashy. It would not be my first choice.

Edited by BlueHerons

The Cheesecake Factory is not much of a local flavor unless you're looking for a chain restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP said they were looking for an American experience not a local one.

Hi,

A great restaurant that is unique is THE CHEESE CAKE Factory . it is

located the main shopping street in Fort Lauderdale. The food is great and the

the Cheese cake is to die for, Easy cab ride from the ship.

Enjoy:)

LANCE1224

I just think this idea is brilliant.

All of these ideas will be fun. And for the poster who thinks Miami is not an American city because of its Cuban influence I say that's silly. My son in law is a naturalized citizen from Miami. He is serving his country as a military officer who has done multiple tours in combat zones. That is American culture. I vote for Publix picnic, water taxi and jazz!

Blue Herons and Pam, I think you've hit it on the head! Minds made up, will deffo take the water taxi, try out the Cheese Cake Factory, walk Las Olas and drop by the Jazz Festival to people watch (we happen to be there on Sun 6 December. Perhaps top it all off with a quick dip in the ocean and frozen yogurt before making our way back to the ship...

Blue Herons and Pam, I think you've hit it on the head! Minds made up, will deffo take the water taxi, try out the Cheese Cake Factory, walk Las Olas and drop by the Jazz Festival to people watch (we happen to be there on Sun 6 December. Perhaps top it all off with a quick dip in the ocean and frozen yogurt before making our way back to the ship...

That sounds like an excellent plan and you'll have a blast! Make sure you sit outside at Cheesecake Factory. The Jazz is in three locations so make sure you make it all the way to the shell at the Huizenga Plaza. http://www.broward.org/ARTS/PUBLICART/PADTOUR/VENUE/Pages/HuizengaPlaza.aspx as the views are stunning and usually the best acts are there.

I think you'll have a great time people watching.

All of these ideas will be fun. And for the poster who thinks Miami is not an American city because of its Cuban influence I say that's silly. My son in law is a naturalized citizen from Miami. He is serving his country as a military officer who has done multiple tours in combat zones. That is American culture. I vote for Publix picnic, water taxi and jazz!

Miami is not an American city. Anyone that lives there knows that. Not because of specifically Cuban influence but because of that an other influences.

Miami is not an American city. Anyone that lives there knows that. Not because of specifically Cuban influence but because of that an other influences.[/Q

I guess we are redefining what that means in the 21st century. So I would like to put it on the list of world's coolest cities along with New York City, New Orleans, Paris and London. Now grant you, I only live in Tampa so I guess I can't claim to be an expert but since I beat Walt Disney to Florida I have been here a while.

Miami is not an American city. Anyone that lives there knows that. Not because of specifically Cuban influence but because of that an other influences.[/Q

I guess we are redefining what that means in the 21st century. So I would like to put it on the list of world's coolest cities along with New York City, New Orleans, Paris and London. Now grant you, I only live in Tampa so I guess I can't claim to be an expert but since I beat Walt Disney to Florida I have been here a while.

I'm just going to say this, Matthew Metlzer has built an entire career writing about how Miami is so different from the rest of the US. Miami leads the nation in corruption; IRS fraud, credit card fraud, identity theft, real estate fraud, etc. It is quite a long list. In August of 2013 THREE different Miami mayors were arrested.

It is nowhere near as cool as Paris, New Orleans, London, or NYC. Not even close. I don't even know where this crazy idea comes from. There was NO urban planning when Miami was built with laundered drug money.

The Miami you see in the movies or CSI Miami doesn't exist. It is a very corrupt city with no diversity.

Maybe I am thinking of the other great places I have spent time in south Florida over the years. We sure have enjoyed it and had fun. I guess it is nice to visit not to live. Carl Hiaasen also has a lot to say about it too. A great writer who gives very funny insight into just what you are talking about. As a Florida resident for almost 45 years I understand your perspective. Good luck to our visitors. I am sure you will enjoy your afternoon.

"Miami has nothing to do with America and is not an American city. It is a foreign city and the Cuban culture in Miami is just that, Cuban."

Of course Miami is an American city. The international influence in such a city does not make them any less American. US culture has roots in cultures all over the world. The Cuban culture in Miami is a part of that. American culture is widely diverse, and can be very different in different geographical areas. Cuban culture in south Florida is a major part of American culture there.

And as for a Cheesecake Factory, the original suggestion that it is "unique" is wrong. It's one of a large chain, not even close to being unique in any way.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

What I find amazing is that the moderators decided to delete my post which suggested that chain restaurants and strip malls is the flavor of America, which is true. Visit any suburb in any state and you will see. Yet, this nonsense about Miami which isn't even the city on topic is still here.

We recently were in this situation in reverse. QM2 Hamburg, Southampton, NY ... we had a handful of hours to experience the UK ..... we took an excursion to Bath .... could have gone to Stonehenge but that didn't seem 'British' to me, and I expected it to be MOBBED on a weekend. So we saw an old city/town and a lot of countryside on the way there and back.

100_0030_zpsjlix9x5d.jpg

and for lunch we enjoyed what I HOPE was authentic .... Pastys (we both had "traditional" mine was Chicken DW a beef)

100_0034_zps9mwxzfka.jpg

100_0035_zpsvppqc9dv.jpg

From this perspective I recommend:

For a real taste of America I'd go get a REALLY good burger at a place where you can rub elbows with real local folks. If could pick you up and entertain you I'd take you to Le Tub, have a GREAT burger and some Key Lime pie sitting waterside on the Intercoastal waterway watching the boat traffic then walk a couple of blocks to the beach ... Taxi should not be too $$ as it is only about 6 miles from the port.

http://www.theletub.com/

hamburger-picture-framed.jpg

or a seafood salad

seafood-salad-.jpg or clams.jpg

with a nice Ice Tea ..... or perchance a beer

Edited by Capt_BJ

"Miami has nothing to do with America and is not an American city. It is a foreign city and the Cuban culture in Miami is just that, Cuban."

Of course Miami is an American city. The international influence in such a city does not make them any less American. US culture has roots in cultures all over the world. The Cuban culture in Miami is a part of that. American culture is widely diverse, and can be very different in different geographical areas. Cuban culture in south Florida is a major part of American culture there.

And as for a Cheesecake Factory, the original suggestion that it is "unique" is wrong. It's one of a large chain, not even close to being unique in any way.

There is no international influence in Miami. It is a South/Central American city. It isn't influenced, that is the way it is run.

You don't get the difference and you honestly have NO idea what you are writing.

The OP didn't ask for unique. She asked for American. CF is a big, fat American chain.