Avalon Creativity Sept 8-15 Review

amd1234

Well I wanted to give a brief overview of our wonderful cruise on the Avalon Creativity. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful my turn to respond to any questions. We stayed pre cruise one night at Hotel Albe perfect location near so many restaurants and close to Notre Dame and Seine. Located in the St Michael area. We took a cab the day of embarkation to the Pullman Montapasse which Avalon books in their pre cruise package. We were shuttled to our ship. This is a large Hotel very nice but we prefer a smaller more Parisian Hotel.. We booked a French Balcony and every space in our cabin was utilized for space. The bathroom had a good size cabinet for cosmetics etc. the Creativity is a some what older ship (2009) sleek in a contemporary design. We have been on two previous river cruises with Uniworld and we were pleasantly surprised how we enjoyed Avalon. we are not foodies and we thought food was excellent. Smaller portions but you can ask for more!

Excursions.....Giverny highlight of our trip but extremely crowded..

Thatched roof cottages very nice but they should skip the town Pont Audemer we thought a waste of a morning

Honfleur...love this seaport town so picturesque(optional excurision)

Village of Les Andelys very

pretty little town (Richard the Lion Heart's Castle)

Caudebec.. The Landing Beaches of Normandy long day but so moving and emotional a must see on this cruise.

Walking tour of Rouen.. Rainy day difficult town to walk with all the cobblestone streets. Joan of Arc memorial.

Malmaison( Josephine Bonaparte Chateau) rainy morning couldn't view the beautiful gardens excellent guide.

Paris Illuminated evening tour.. Just ok ! Eiffel Tower at night amazing .

We didn't visit Versailles too crowded! Stayed on the ship you do need down time it's gets so exhausting.

Last day Montmarte and the Basilica of Sacre Coeur beautiful! Also very crowded.

I am sure this is just the highlights of this wonderful cruise. I loved every moment and also a mention to the superb gentlemen Milan who entertained all of us in the lounge each evening. You made this cruise very special..

Edited by amd1234
Spelling

We did this area on our own on a Ocean Cruise in 2009 in a rental car. Lovely... having been in the area a little bit before I had my GPS lead me to war cemeteries, it took us to two or three off the main roads cemeteries which were super cool. Less than a 1000 graves, and from both world wars with soldiers from both sides. One of those things you don't think exist. The American Cemetery at Normandy is amazing. Lovely, sitting on the cliff, with the statue, lovely trees and perfectly arranged crosses. Sad and lovely at the same time.

We owe so much.

jc