Driving in from Melbourne to POM the morning of....

Gypsywych

I live in Melbourne .... yards off I-95

it is a bit over 200 miles to the port ..... once on 95 ... but depending on WHERE you are in Melbourne it COULD take 30 minutes to get on 95 . . .

traffic will move 75 around Melbourne and more like 80 plus once you get to Lauderdale.

I'd plan on 4 hours ... which you will PROBABLY beat.

Sunday traffic is USUALLY light.

Will be doing this drive this coming Saturday. Have done it before. Should be around 3 hours. Set cruise control on 79. :)

Let me know how it goes! :)

OP thanks for posting this question, we are wanting to do the same when we sail out of POM too.

You're welcome. :) We are driving down from upstate South Carolina, and Melbourne is a good stopping place if we can drive straight on in the next morning. We don't want to cut it too close, but I figured that Sunday morning would be reasonable.

I will remind what I said earlier

A hotel in "Melbourne" could be right off 95 (like where I live) ... or on the beach which could be a 30 minute plus drive to get to 95 ......

AND Melbourne is a 'long' area ..... north Melbourne and south Melbourne are different things drive time wise if you want to split hairs. Exit / mile marker 191 is pretty much the north limit .... some would say 188 .... (the port is nearly MM zero of I-95 .... add in the side trip to the tunnel and it comes out just right.

Until recently dd lived in Miami minutes from the port and we did this drive REGULARLY.

Edited by Capt_BJ

It was not my intention to cause a disagreement.

We were simply discussing options and driving down to Melbourne and leaving for the port from there is one of them. Our cruise is still over a year off. :)

I doubt there's a disagreement. Just CC members disagreeing. ;) That being said, is there any specific reason you are leaving from Melbourne?

I doubt there's a disagreement. Just CC members disagreeing. ;) That being said, is there any specific reason you are leaving from Melbourne?

We are driving down from upstate SC. From our house, Melbourne is just at the "longest we like to drive in a day" point. We know we don't want to drive all the way into Miami in one day. (We did that once, not fun)

We can stop in Melbourne and make it to the port the next day about noon, OR we can stop in St. Augustine / Daytona, drive on into Miami the next day and spend the night before the cruise in Miami.

I'm actually leaning towards the slower two day trip, as it gives us time to drive the A1-A again.

We are driving down from upstate SC. From our house, Melbourne is just at the "longest we like to drive in a day" point. We know we don't want to drive all the way into Miami in one day. (We did that once, not fun)

We can stop in Melbourne and make it to the port the next day about noon, OR we can stop in St. Augustine / Daytona, drive on into Miami the next day and spend the night before the cruise in Miami.

I'm actually leaning towards the slower two day trip, as it gives us time to drive the A1-A again.

We have friends in SC who drive down to the FLL or MIA ports quite regularly. They stay in Ft. Pierce area. Not too much further for you to do and many options right off 95. You might want to consider that instead of Melbourne.

@Pia1913 is there any particular reason you are not fond of stopping in Melbourne and staying in a hotel there off I95? Is Ft. Pierce preferable and why? We live in western North Carolina and are considering the same travel options as OP gypsywych. Thanks for your input in advance.

@Pia1913 is there any particular reason you are not fond of stopping in Melbourne and staying in a hotel there off I95? Is Ft. Pierce preferable and why? We live in western North Carolina and are considering the same travel options as OP gypsywych. Thanks for your input in advance.

Perhaps not for you, coming from NC. The OP is coming from SC; could make a major difference in your mileage.

I don't stay in either area since I live in South Florida. :D

not intending to be argumentative at all .... just pointing out the a hotel on the beach can be 30 minutes or more from 95.....

Stay at a hotel along side 95 and there is no added time to your travel .. but no beach and less food choice the night b4. SOME book a hotel on the beach and forget this part . . .

WNCGirl is likely to have an hour extra, perhaps a little less, travel time headed south compared to us. She'll hit I26 and it's a straight shot to I95. :)

Ft. Pierce's hotel prices look even better than Melbourne's, though I'm amazed at how much they go up for February. That must be high season?

Thank y'all so much for the advice and options. It's appreciated! :D:D:D

Edited by Gypsywych

WNCGirl is likely to have an hour extra, perhaps a little less, travel time headed south compared to us. She'll hit I26 and it's a straight shot to I95. :)

Ft. Pierce's hotel prices look even better than Melbourne's, though I'm amazed at how much they go up for February. That must be high season?

Yes, February is definitely HIGH season.

Edited by Pia1913

Yes, I'm about an hour and half from GSP if I take 226 to 85 or if I take 40 to 26 I'm 2 hours from GSP (upstate SC). [emoji4] So, our travel time is approximately 2 hours longer than Gypsywynch.

We want be going until January 2017, but I like to plan way ahead, so thanks everyone for your comments.

We normally sail out of Port Canaveral, but hubby wants to sail on the new Carnival Vista. So, it'll be our first sailing out of POM.

Yes, I'm about an hour and half from GSP if I take 226 to 85 or if I take 40 to 26 I'm 2 hours from GSP (upstate SC). [emoji4] So, our travel time is approximately 2 hours longer than Gypsywynch.

We want be going until January 2017, but I like to plan way ahead, so thanks everyone for your comments.

We normally sail out of Port Canaveral, but hubby wants to sail on the new Carnival Vista. So, it'll be our first sailing out of POM.

We're sailing on the Vista in February!

First time ever we've booked just for a ship, and we booked a Havana Cabin just for something new. :) You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back!

We stay in Cocoa Beach while in Florida for a couple of months and always either stay in Fort Pierce or (8 miles further) Port Saint Lucie the night before our cruise. If you book early you can get some good rates. Booked Springhill Suites in Port Saint Lucie for February at $72 senior rate. Port Saint Lucie has everything you'd want. Shopping mall, restaurants, movie theater, Walmart, Target , Urgent Care, etc. Could do the drive from Cocoa Beach but prefer to have a shorter drive on the morning of the cruise. We like to arrive at the port early, usually around 10:30 or 11:00 am

We stay in Cocoa Beach while in Florida for a couple of months and always either stay in Fort Pierce or (8 miles further) Port Saint Lucie the night before our cruise. If you book early you can get some good rates. Booked Springhill Suites in Port Saint Lucie for February at $72 senior rate. Port Saint Lucie has everything you'd want. Shopping mall, restaurants, movie theater, Walmart, Target , Urgent Care, etc. Could do the drive from Cocoa Beach but prefer to have a shorter drive on the morning of the cruise. We like to arrive at the port early, usually around 10:30 or 11:00 am

Thanks, tartan cruiser. The Springhill Suites in Port St Lucie sounds like a great option. I looked at their webpage and they even offer complimentary breakfast, that's a plus when getting up early. [emoji4]