Nasty rumor

antique sailor

I dunno. I faxed in the ownership form and received a confirmation. I've always done this more than a year in advance.

When the proof of stock ownership is submitted so far in advance, how can they know if you have sold the stock between the submittal and date of your cruise?

Edited by sail7seas

I can also confirm stock OBC thru May 2017. It is listed on my invoice. My TA submitted the stock proof for an early 2016 cruise and added the 2017 cruise as an after thought and viola - HAL listed the OBC on both cruises.

So now we have the same rumor about no more stock OBC again... or at least until the board votes.

Edited by take us away

When the proof of stock ownership is submitted so far in advance, how can they know if you have sold the stock between the submission and date of your cruise?

I think HAL figures that it is not worth the trouble of double checking on this - most people are honest. Further, its not really worth it (costwise) to buy and then sell a 100 shares of stock just to earn a few dollars in OBC.

Why is it almost impossible to get any OBC from RCI?

As someone else posted, it is not combinable with ANY other offer. This means if your cruise has one of the common perks associated with it, like the beverage package, OBC, or gratuities, that counts as your benefit and you are out of luck. Since most cruises we book have SOME benefit included, it seemed a bad idea to buy RCCL stock. This topic came up on the X board. The only people who had been able to use the credit had been those who booked late with no perks attached.

I bought Carnival stock after hearing about the benefit on this board. The $250 credit on our just completed cruise made it a great investment. Stock has gone up since I bought it, but of course that is not a given.

When the proof of stock ownership is submitted so far in advance, how can they know if you have sold the stock between the submittal and date of your cruise?

I'm not sure. I suppose they could track the account ID back at the time of sailing. On the other hand, this type of a thing is very much trust based.

If it'll make you feel better, I'll pinky swear that we're not going to churn our CCL stock. :) It's sitting in a trust.

Both Princess and HAL have told me they want a statement proving ownership within 60 days of sailing. HAL has accepted it after final payment, but Princess was adamant on our recent cruise.

Well we have never been told that by HAL , & normally request our CCL OBC three to six months in advance & have always receive confirmation by e-mail.. I also have requested it for two different cruises which were several months apart in one letter & received confirmation by e-mail within the six months of travel..

For our next cruise Nov. 15 - FAX'd our request in Aug 21 & received an e-mail confirmation the same day..

Also know that the OP is probably misinterpreting what he heard.. The present OBC for CCL stock is good up to July 2016, however everyone knows that it will be extended each year.. That's why HAL will process these early.. Each year we have someone on Cruise Critic tell us about this false rumor..LOL

Don't worry if they should drop it in the future, we'll sell our stock & make a nice big profit as only paid $18 & change for it in 2009.. We've more than earned a good profit from all our OBC's & Dividends alone & today it's over $52 a share...Hooray! Wish we had purchased more!.

Edited by serendipity1499

Both Princess and HAL have told me they want a statement proving ownership within 60 days of sailing. HAL has accepted it after final payment, but Princess was adamant on our recent cruise.

Princess will not take it unless you are within 90 days of the sailing and I have sent the docs to HAL as much as 100 days out and they added it immediately.

I'm not questioning what you say, but we've never been asked to prove ownership within 60 days of a cruise. We don't have a big position, only 81,000 shares or so.

Maybe my faxes come across as friendlier. ;)

I'm not sure. I suppose they could track the account ID back at the time of sailing. On the other hand, this type of a thing is very much trust based.

If it'll make you feel better, I'll pinky swear that we're not going to churn our CCL stock. :) It's sitting in a trust.

I agree, perhaps HAL just trusts us! :D:D Not to worry though, we don't plan on selling any time soon either!:)

BTW I don't give HAL our brokerage account ID.. It's blacked out when I send our statement in, only our Name & address shows.. And, I rather doubt that our Brokerage House would divulge this info to anyone..

I'm sorry I gave the impression of not feeling very good about it. :eek:

It was only a question of curiosity. It never occurred to me my question could be offensive.

Don't worry. We Internet people are not only untrustworthy, but also nasty. :D

Where did you hear the rumour, if you don't mind sharing?

AHOY SHIPMATE,

Just returned from a 5 day B2B on Carnival ship and there was a discussion at the Blackjack table about the new $7 to $6 payoff for blackjack

and a couple players were grumbling about cutbacks(they were losing) and it was mentioned, Iv'e gotten about $7,000 in OBC's since I got the stock and was concerned enough to ask the question here

Did you have your pinky on the monitor when you clicked "submit reply?" HAL may trust you, but some people may not. (Not me, I'm stupid and believe anything) :D

I agree, perhaps HAL just trusts us! :D:D Not to worry though, we don't plan on selling any time soon either!:)

BTW I don't give HAL our brokerage account ID.. It's blacked out when I send our statement in, only our Name & address shows.. And, I rather doubt that our Brokerage House would divulge this info to anyone..

And another poster is asking for our trust! ;) But to be serious (if I must), I agree about not leaving the account ID showing. The only things that are visible on the copy we send are name, date and the Carnival info. Sometimes I black out so much that it looks like one of those letters home you see in WWII war movies, where mail has been censored.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

My original post was as I stated "nasty rumor" and I was just asking if anyone else had heard it?

Please DO NOT assume any more than that. I do occasionally BS but on

a topic like this.

SEA YA

correction.......but NOT ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS.

Doesn't matter tho, the thread has been turned into a discussion about when to apply for the credit. DW always applies a month before sailing and we get the confirmation within 24 hours.

I hope this doesn't happen. It's an OK stock, but with us cruising once or twice a year, it becomes a very good stock.

If it turns out to be true, I wonder how many cruisers will sell their shares?

I've owned it for 14 months. My price appreciation is 36 % and the dividend yield is 2.4%. I let the dividends reinvest . I haven't cruised since I bought it. Overall, I think its a pretty good investment. I'll hold mine awhile

I'm not questioning what you say, but we've never been asked to prove ownership within 60 days of a cruise. We don't have a big position, only 81,000 shares or so...

I am surprised that you are holding over 4 million dollars in as risky a stock as Carnival. Could your numbers have been just a little bit exaggerated?

Scott & Karen

I am surprised that you are holding over 4 million dollars in as risky a stock as Carnival. Could your numbers have been just a little bit exaggerated?

Scott & Karen

It was a typo. It's supposed to say one thousand. I didn't even realize it until I saw your post.

Edited by POA1