B2B Alaska w/Celebrity one way and another cruiseline the other?

phoenix_dream

Have never done a B2B at all and thinking of one to Alaska. In order to see more ports, am considering another cruise line going north to Seward, and Millie heading back to Vancouver. Has anyone else ever tried this? Pros and cons besides the obvious of packing again and not having as great an experience on the other line? Thanks in advance.

Have never done a B2B at all and thinking of one to Alaska. In order to see more ports, am considering another cruise line going north to Seward, and Millie heading back to Vancouver. Has anyone else ever tried this? Pros and cons besides the obvious of packing again and not having as great an experience on the other line? Thanks in advance.

Haven't done this, but Alaska is all about the ports, so if you can cram more in and don't mind packing up and moving, I'd say go for it. I've been to Alaska three times and it's glorious.

Just be aware getting out of Whittier directly to Seward is limited. As a traveler that has made many many trips to alaska and lived for a time in Skagway; absolutely suggest you spend a week and go up to Fairbanks and see the sights on the way. There is an easy loop to come back through Glenallen with a side trip to Valdez. Takes about a week and May is the best time to go. Forest fires made visibility lousy later in the summer. Simply get transport to and from Anchorage and rent a car there. Accommodation cheap and plentiful in late May. June 1st it all changes.

Have a god time.

Thanks for the input so far. I definitely agree - Alaska is all about the ports. For this potential trip, we are thinking of spending any extra time exploring Vancouver. We have been there pre-cruise a couple of times and would love to have a little more time to spend there. Have been to Denali and loved it, but basically we are talking about leaving one ship in Seward and boarding another the same day (presuming that would work out), so that particular turn-around is what I am looking at. I am just dying to go back to Sitka and Celebrity rarely (if ever anymore?) goes there, and I have also never been to Glacier Bay so am considering another line. I have literally just begun researching yesterday so we may not be able to pull it off, but wondering if anyone else has done this. Not sure what the logistics would be of getting from one cruise ship to another in Seward, and it was so long ago since I was there I do not remember if there is anything at all to do during the day there, or if you have to go into Anchorage (which is too far if the turn-around is the same day).

Also considering grabbing just an outside cabin (rather than our usual CC or AQ) and just cruising Millie each way. For many years outside was all we did and while we are spoiled by balconies the pricing for May cruises right now on a special sale on a not-to-be-named-but-everyone-knows-it website include all three perks for outside as well as balconies. We have been to Alaska four times so understand the value of balconies, but for the price we would be willing to do our main viewing from an outside deck like we did in years past.

Have been to Denali and loved it, but basically we are talking about leaving one ship in Seward and boarding another the same day (presuming that would work out), so that particular turn-around is what I am looking at. I am just dying to go back to Sitka and Celebrity rarely (if ever anymore?) goes there, and I have also never been to Glacier Bay so am considering another line. I have literally just begun researching yesterday so we may not be able to pull it off, but wondering if anyone else has done this. Not sure what the logistics would be of getting from one cruise ship to another in Seward, and it was so long ago since I was there I do not remember if there is anything at all to do during the day there, or if you have to go into Anchorage (which is too far if the turn-around is the same day).

If you check past port schedules for Seward you will find that, at least in the past, it has been rare, if ever, to have two ships in Seward on the same day. But for a small town Seward has much to offer, including day cruises in the Kenai Fjords National Park, Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. There is also a Hertz car rental office within a few minutes walk of the cruise terminal, so it would be easy to rent a car for a few days between cruises and possibly explore the Kenai Peninsula.

Celebrity doesn't do many port calls in Sitka, but some itineraries do include it.

And just another quick comment: az_tchr may have made "many many trips" to Alaska, but anyone who is interested in spending time in Denali needs to consider the shuttle bus schedule into the park if doing a land trip in May.

You might also want to pose your question on the very helpful Alaska forums here.

I agree - thanks.

After doing further research, looks like switching cruise lines probably won't work due to timing, but am still considering a B2B on X. It seems their first cruise northbound actually does go to Sitka, so that is definitely a consideration. I am just not sure if I want to do a B2B with almost all the same ports, and wishing I could talk DH into at least a balcony:). Although it seems the cruise agency in question is offering a $300 per cabin OBC which I believe would be refundable so that may help me plead my case. I have sailed many times in outside cabins in past years (even way back when there were no balconies to be had on ships like Zenith!), but not sure if two weeks in one wouldn't leave me feeling a bit on the claustrophobic side. Not like the Caribbean where if you are going stir crazy you can go out on one of the top decks and lounge in the sun for a few hours (although sometimes in southern Alaska there are a few days like that if you are lucky). Decisions decisions. Poor me:D

If you check past port schedules for Seward you will find that, at least in the past, it has been rare, if ever, to have two ships in Seward on the same day. But for a small town Seward has much to offer, including day cruises in the Kenai Fjords National Park, Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center. There is also a Hertz car rental office within a few minutes walk of the cruise terminal, so it would be easy to rent a car for a few days between cruises and possibly explore the Kenai Peninsula.

Celebrity doesn't do many port calls in Sitka, but some itineraries do include it.

And just another quick comment: az_tchr may have made "many many trips" to Alaska, but anyone who is interested in spending time in Denali needs to consider the shuttle bus schedule into the park if doing a land trip in May.

Good information - thanks. Further research confirmed what you were saying. We may just stick with a B2B on Millie. I appreciate the info about Seward - could not remember if there was much to do around that area or not.

We'll do our first Alaska trip next summer. Chose to start with a flight to Anchorage, train to Seward. South on Millenium to Vancouver. Then back north to Seward on Millenium. Couple of days there, then to Denali for five days at a lodge way in, then a drive to Homer and a bear-watching flight/hike. Downside is seeing the same ports twice. Upside is getting to spend twice the time in each of the ports. And twice the chance for decent weather at a given spot. Another upside is beginning and ending in Anchorage is easier, gives more opportunities to extend and supplement the cruising portion of our trip. I am so looking forward to this!

Doing the b2b almost guarantees you will get to see Hubbard Glacier....note I say almost. The southbound does sail in the afternoon when fog is far less likely.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the b2b in Alaska. No matter how many times you go there is always something Mother Nature has created for another new and exciting experience.

On one of our Alaska sailings we did stop at Sitka and it remains on our list of ports to revisit.

We are waiting for the '17 schedule and are seriously considering a b2b in Alaska. Who knew there was so much to love there. The very day we returned friends called and asked us if we wanted to go back. There was no hesitation on our part. Only wish we had known beforehand so we could have taken advantage of the on board booking perks.

I have a hybrid b2b booked for June 2016 using Princess for the northbound cruise from Vancouver followed by a land tour (part of the Princess booking) and then the Millennium southbound back to Vancouver. Everything fits almost seamlessly. The last night of the Princess cruise tour is in Anchorage at the Captain Cook Hotel and the next morning the X transfer to Seward starts from the nearby Marriott. I am sure that with all of the various cruises to Alaska, there are many ways to use 2 cruise lines for b2b trips. As noted there are repeated stops but also differences.

ShakeDaddy, we actually just got back from an Alaska cruise on the Solstice. Beautiful ship (we have now been on her three times) but as an Alaska itinerary goes, she is certainly lacking. Our travel companions chose the cruise and we went along and certainly enjoyed it, but the itinerary is much too limited. To me, Alaska is much more about the ports than about the ship. That is actually what made the idea of a B2B up to Seward and back so enticing. More ports, and much more time in ports in general. Solstice just whet our appetite.

Thanks again to everyone providing input. I think we have decided to give up the idea of two different cruise lines, as we really did not want to spend the time (or $$) to stay over in Anchorage or Denali on this trip, so likely will just do the B2B on the Celebrity Millennium and 'put up' with some duplicate ports/shows, etc.. Love that ship as well. Her 'T-pool' is our favorite spot and something we really missed when sailing Solstice. Nothing like floating in the nice warm t-pool while looking out the window at the glaciers!!