Help with accomodations between Anchorage and Denali

travelnut4

We are planning a 5 day do-it-yourself land tour next June prior to boarding a southbound cruise out of Whittier. We will arrive into Anchorage at 7:00pm after a long travel day from the East Coast. Maybe stay near the airport this first night since it will be 11:00 our body clock time?

The following day, we then plan to travel the Turnagain Arm road, see the Wildlife Conservation Center, maybe Portage Lake/Glacier, Girdwood, etc. Any other recommendations? We can then head to Palmer for the Reindeer and Musk Ox farm. Where to stay this second night??? Should we go on to Talkeetna? Or should we stay in the Palmer/Wasilla area?

We will then drive to Denali after our 2nd night and will be there 2 nights in Denali, and 1 night in Anchorage the night before the cruise. We will probably do a Prince William Sound cruise before boarding the ship.

I mainly need help with where to stay those first 2 nights. Thanks for your help!

I already have my reservations made for the 2 nights in Denali and last night in Anchorage. I'm looking for tips on the 2 nights before I get to Denali. I should have worded my title "between Anchorage and Talkeetna". By the way, Budget Queen, I have read many of your posts...and thank you for all of your great information to us newbies to Alaska! It is very much appreciated!

I already have my reservations made for the 2 nights in Denali and last night in Anchorage. I'm looking for tips on the 2 nights before I get to Denali. I should have worded my title "between Anchorage and Talkeetna". By the way, Budget Queen, I have read many of your posts...and thank you for all of your great information to us newbies to Alaska! It is very much appreciated!

Either area could be good, I suggest- as I always do- figure out your activities. Take a look at Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine? Alaska state parks, Eagle River Nature Center, Wasilla Sled dog Headquarters, Matansuka Glacier? Talkeetna, flightseeing, raft tours, fishing???

Knowing what you want to do- pretty much will dictate where you stay.

I agree with BQ's advice to figure out exactly what you want to see each day and that will determine where to stay.

IMHO, there is far more to see along the Turnagain Arm so I would spend a full day there and overnight in Girdwood ... take the Portage Glacier cruise, do one of the hikes from the Begich Boggs Visitor Center (Trail of Blue Ice or Ice Worm Safari), or hike Byron Glacier.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251094

In Girdwood you could stay at Alyeska Resort if it's in your budget, or the basic Birdridge Hotel or Glacier View B&B, Girdwood Guesthouse

If your only interest around Palmer are the musk ox and reindeer farms, they're each an hour max. You could easily swing thru there on Day 2 as you drive to Denali. (I would also encourage you to stop at the Eklutna Spirit Houses and perhaps the Eagle River Nature Center both just north of Anchorge).

P.S. Girdwood is about 45-50 minutes from Anchorage. You might consider staying there your first night ??