Child with Grandparents Onboard

HiFox23

Quick question. NCL site is no help. I'll be sailing with my wife and son on Breakaway and my parents will be in a separate room across the hall. If my wife and I want to leave the ship in Bermuda do we need to sign any paperwork that states that my parents can have custody of him while we are gone? I'm just curious if the cards will show us disembarking without our son?

Been on plenty of cruises, we have never had the luxury of traveling babysitters though.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question. NCL site is no help. I'll be sailing with my wife and son on Breakaway and my parents will be in a separate room across the hall. If my wife and I want to leave the ship in Bermuda do we need to sign any paperwork that states that my parents can have custody of him while we are gone? I'm just curious if the cards will show us disembarking without our son?

Been on plenty of cruises, we have never had the luxury of traveling babysitters though.

No, you're fine. Nothing to sign.

We left my son onboard 2 weeks ago while docked in Bermuda. He wanted to play mini golf with his Pop Pop instead of going to the beach with mom amd dad. No problem at all! Not sure about NCL's policy but on other lines i have traveled with you do need documentation if someone other than the Guardian/parent/adult in the cabin wants to take the child OFF the ship while in port without mom/dad whoever.

One thing thing to keep in mind - not sure how old your son is - but if he is in the kids club while you are off the ship make sure grandparents have sign in/out privileges.

I can't recall if Breakaway even has kid club sessions on port days so might be a moot point [emoji1].

Happy sailings!

Edited by maryisme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for asking, I was wondering the same thing. We will be the grandparents of a 2 and 4 year old staying on board.

Up to four adults can have kids club sign out privileges and they don't care the relationship, just ask that you identify the relationship. When we sailed with my parents both grandparents had sign out privileges, when we sailed on a joint blended family cruise we also added my stepchildren's mom and her husband as aunt and uncle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kids club is the only thing you need to worry about. Leaving kids with Grandparents on ship is a much better idea than dragging said kids and grandparents off ship sometimes. Everyone gets to have a better day.

For us I always asked what the grandparents plan for the day was, told them our plans on island and asked if they felt up to keeping the kids on ship. They where always happy to spend the day enjoying the ship with their grandchildren. I knew if a emergency happened the kids would be taken care of.

Just kind of going off on a tangent on this question but suppose something happened to the parents on shore (missed the sailing, got in an accident), wouldn't it be a smart idea for the Grandparents to have some kind of power of attorney to get the kids through customs/inspections returning to the U.S or for anything else/

Just kind of going off on a tangent on this question but suppose something happened to the parents on shore (missed the sailing, got in an accident), wouldn't it be a smart idea for the Grandparents to have some kind of power of attorney to get the kids through customs/inspections returning to the U.S or for anything else/

You and my DD think alike. She wants to get them passports and leave them with us but has to check if that would even help.

I also have forms, from way back when I ran a daycare, that gives me permission to seek medical attention for children in my care.