Best price guarantee? (shore excursion)

Bases5

Carnival says they offer best price guarantee on shore excursions,

They say they give you 110% in the form of OBC

Has any one tried this and how was your success.

Did you OBC show up on any documents.

Please tell us the low down

I have several excursions booked and now have found better prices.

How far in advance do you book the excursion and put in the form. I saw an excursion I want but still have until April so I haven't booked it yet. The same excursion is on the Carnival site for more money. Do you need to wait until your closer to the cruise?

I submitted one without any luck. The excursion was exactly the same, offered the same (transportation, a meal, etc), but Carnival turned to down because the website noted hotel pickup. They apparently didn't read the fine print that stated the tour company also offered pier pickup, but I didn't feel like arguing the issue. Not worth the headache.

I was successful in getting my 110% guarantee on a shore excursion on Catalina Island. I pre-ordered the excursion through Carnival and after the completion of the tour I found that I could have booked directly with the company that did the tour for about $25.00 less. I went to Shore Excursions on-board and completed a form, and I got my OBC the next morning. No problem. You have to make the claim within 24 hours of the tour's completion.

I would if at all possible book with an independent anyway. On average, you will get a better excursion, there will be fewer people and the tour operators go out of their way for excellent service for good reviews.

Most are cheaper anyway, better value than booking through CCL regardless of the actual cost.

I would if at all possible book with an independent anyway. On average, you will get a better excursion, there will be fewer people and the tour operators go out of their way for excellent service for good reviews.

Most are cheaper anyway, better value than booking through CCL regardless of the actual cost.

Agreed. Much rather tour in a van than with 50 people in a bus.

Yes, but you need to make sure that they offer a full refund for any amount prepaid if Carnival ends up canceling the port and you miss the excursion. This is definitely and advantage to booking through Carnival because you are guaranteed a refund if the port is missed.

Yes, but you need to make sure that they offer a full refund for any amount prepaid if Carnival ends up canceling the port and you miss the excursion. This is definitely and advantage to booking through Carnival because you are guaranteed a refund if the port is missed.

Yes absolutely. Most do. You just have to do your homework and check the Ports of call section for reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had some approved and some denied. The big thing I noticed is many, many independents no longer have their tours available on the days ships are in port or won't let cruise passengers book. Either of those fact patterns will result in a denial. I just had a request denied because the vendor "strongly recommends" cruise passengers book with the cruise line. I hate the new price guarantee. It's resulted in way less available excursions with private vendors and they are so nitpicky it's almost impossible to get a reduction.

I booked on Carnival.com, an excursion back in June. It cost $99 per person. Saturday I noticed it was down to $85.99 per person. So I tried to use the price match guarantee form, but it wasn't working. So I called. All they were willing to do was cancel and refund the original and rebook at the lowest price. Hmmm, not exactly what they advertise. According to the gal I spoke with (and BTW she was exceptionally helpful and courteous), that 110% only applies with outside vendors, not with themselves. Either way, I saved a bit of $. :p

Way to answer the question. Thanks

Way to answer the question. Thanks

You are flaming me because I gave my opinion on your question pertaining to lower cost excursions? :rolleyes:

If you book at a lower rate through an independent, it seems a lot less hassle than going through 'hoops' as described here....

Wow....

Keep booking through Carnival. They really need people like you....

You are flaming me because I gave my opinion on your question pertaining to lower cost excursions? :rolleyes:

If you book at a lower rate through an independent, it seems a lot less hassle than going through 'hoops' as described here....

Wow....

Not flaming at all. You feeling guilty. You gave a opinion that was not asked.

After 31 cruises this is the first time we are booking thru the cruise line,

Last cruise we did not make it back to the ship with a independent. After missed cruise days and $2700 later I said never again.

Edited by Bases5

I have had some approved and some denied. The big thing I noticed is many, many independents no longer have their tours available on the days ships are in port or won't let cruise passengers book. Either of those fact patterns will result in a denial. I just had a request denied because the vendor "strongly recommends" cruise passengers book with the cruise line. I hate the new price guarantee. It's resulted in way less available excursions with private vendors and they are so nitpicky it's almost impossible to get a reduction.

I agree - when we've talked to some of the operators, we've been told that they only take people that book through the ship on those port days. Found this to be true for a horseback ride at Orient Beach and I think even the Twister boat to Passion Island.

I just used the price guarantee on my cave tubing excursion. booked through carnival, found a 50% lower price. made a quick phone call to carnival gave them the information and had a confirmation email in less then 48 hours. They give you an onboard credit for the difference in price plus 10%. I was advised I would see the onboard credit on the ship. The excursion price reduction shows on my documents. Looking forward to all the fun!!

Wow....

Only at CC do people get mad at you for trying to help them save money.

• Haha 1

Last cruise we did not make it back to the ship with a independent. After missed cruise days and $2700 later I said never again.

Which tour caused you to miss the ship?

Would like to hear more about that.

We have done say 30 private tours over the years and never got back late. Always pick ones where we are scheduled to be back at least an hour or more before sailaway.

Figure we have saved more than the cost of catching up to the ship by now but never want to have it happen to us.

Which tour caused you to miss the ship?

I'm sorry it was $1700 not $2700

We have done mostly independent excursions also and have never has a issue,

This was a deep sea fishing excursion in the Grand Caymans and we have used this company 3 times in the past. We had a 3 hour cushion to get back.

They had a engine falure.with 1 engine. We were able to get back on the other engine but at about 5 mph We were about 25 miles out. Long stories short stuff happens.

Since it was a independent Carnival was not a lot of help. They did pack our stuff up and send it back to our house and we did have passports so no trouble getting home. Flight food and lodging were quite expensive.

We live and learn.