Cozumel Mayan ruins

saandhm

Hi all,HELP! We are family of 4 trying to decide about doing a Mayan ruin tour whilst in Cozumel in December on Liberty of the Seas. We are hesitant to book through the cruiseline due to the huge numbers that do so and wonder if anyone uses a private company? We know about getting back late etc but notice on the reviews a lot are not happy with the cruise lines tours

Would appreciate input into which is the best/quickest ruins to visit and any private companies used

Thanks in advance

Saandhm

The ruins at Tulum are stunning and something to be truly seen. One of the little known items is the beach at Tulum, one of Mexico's most beautifyl and worth the walk to see and have some fun in the water. The main issue with the ruins is that Cozumel is an Island and you need to take a hover craft to Playa to get a bus to the ruins. Lots of possible mix ups and delays. We were on NCL last year and they held the ship due we got stiuck in traffic due to an accident. Unfortionately, we did see people miss the boat who were on the ferry behind us. I have gone DIY on many cruises, Cozumel and the ruins was one I would not chance.

I would not chance it. The ride to the ruins is long and there is a chance you would not make it back in time. I don't thing the cruise line excursion is too overcrowded because of the amount of travel time. I was interested in the excursion at one time until I found out how much time is spent on a bus.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I agree with the advice above -- it's a looong way to Tulum, plus you need to take a ferry and then a bus. Too much opportunity for something to go wrong to risk being on a private tour. I can't speak to the RCI tour, but we did one years ago through NCL. Yes, it had the drawbacks of a ship's tour (lots of people, forced shopping stop), but Tulum is quite beautiful, and it was the only Mayan city built along the water, making it even more beautiful.

If you go --- it's a long day, and it's quite hot and sunny at the ruins. Be prepared.

CruiseFeb08145.jpg

CruiseFeb08185.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

We were on the RCI Tulum with beach break excursion and got back to the ship late (but by no means latest of those returning from excursions).

It's a long day, from ferry to bus to touring in the heat, then back on the bus and the ferry. Personally I wouldn't do it again. In the end, we only had maybe 90 minutes at the ruins! If it's your only chance ever to get to Cozumel, I suppose, but it would be far better to do it from a land-based vacation and not have the restriction of being in port only for the day.

Hi! Noticed this is your first post. Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

You might be best to book an excursion with the ship going to a Mayan Ruins because the ship will wait for excursions booked thru them.

The best Mayan Ruins are not close so delays do happen.

LuLu

IF you do go to Tulum, that beach in the photo is not the true Tulum beach that is raved about. That is a bit farther by cab and amazing. That said, you might stick to Cozumel so you are not harried and rushed as Tulum is an hour south of Playa del Carmen after you deal with the 45+ minute ferry ride over.

IF you don't want to stay in Cozumel, how about doing something in Playa del Carmen? There are cenotes nearby[fresh water swimholes created by collapse of bedrock], lots of great cheap food and shopping and nice beaches.

We visited Cozumel in February and had a wonderful shore excursion to Tulum with HAL. We very seldom take a ship's excursions, but thought that the logistics involved made it worthwhile paying the higher fee. If RCI offers a combined ruins and beach break, take it, as the Tulum beach is gorgeous (not the one in the photos above).

Tours to Chichen Itza are also popular. Although the ruins are more magnificent, almost all those we spoke to who made this choice commented negatively on the far longer ride. Time we spent on the beach they spent on a bus.

Our bus was full, but that had no negative impact on the tour.

We booked through the ship last December for the Tulum/beach adventure.

Was a 45 minute ferry ride over, a bus ride to Tulum (incredible) then a bus ride to a beach park where they fed us a decent lunch and had about 2 hours to relax.

The bus back got caught in traffic, we were late to the ferry, which they held since there were two more buses behind us, and we were late to the ship.

I think underway was supposed to be 6pm, we walked/ran down the pier and got back to the brow and walked on at 5:55pm. There was nothing but a brow and two ship's staff on the pier, and after the 20 or so people made it on behind us we were GONE. For that reason, I book through the cruise line, and yes pay a little more, but they didn't leave me.

We visited Cozumel in February and had a wonderful shore excursion to Tulum with HAL. We very seldom take a ship's excursions, but thought that the logistics involved made it worthwhile paying the higher fee. If RCI offers a combined ruins and beach break, take it, as the Tulum beach is gorgeous (not the one in the photos above).

Tours to Chichen Itza are also popular. Although the ruins are more magnificent, almost all those we spoke to who made this choice commented negatively on the far longer ride. Time we spent on the beach they spent on a bus.

Our bus was full, but that had no negative impact on the tour.

To clarify, the Tulum with beach break takes you to the ruins first, there's a tour, and then a little time on your own to take pictures and head back to the bus (possibly shopping near the parking areas as well). The beach stop is at a resort of sorts not near the ruins. It was a decent meal, came with one beverage included and more available at a cash bar. There were hammocks, beach chairs, and the swimming was pretty nice. I think I'd rather have had more time at the ruins in retrospect.

Hi all,HELP! We are family of 4 trying to decide about doing a Mayan ruin tour whilst in Cozumel in December on Liberty of the Seas. We are hesitant to book through the cruiseline due to the huge numbers that do so and wonder if anyone uses a private company? We know about getting back late etc but notice on the reviews a lot are not happy with the cruise lines tours

Would appreciate input into which is the best/quickest ruins to visit and any private companies used

Thanks in advance

Saandhm

I have never been given a reason to be unhappy with a RCCL excursion, nor have I heard of one. However, the tours are very plain Jane. Tour guides don't talk to you while you are on the bus, your ruins tours are basically self guided. RCCL basically does transportation and you might get a 45 minute talk, if you are lucky. Most people just prefer to go the private route because it's cheaper.

Native choice gets really good marks on these boards. Much more culturally and historically enriching experience.

I loved the RCCL Chichen Itza tour. Seems weird to "comment negatively" about the length of the bus ride if you are told up front it's a 2.5 hr bus ride. Also the Tulum trip is just shorter. Its 5 hrs instead of 7.5, so while yes, you have a shorter bus ride, you do not have more time on the beach/ruins. You just leave later or get back to the ship earlier is all.

Edited by Diplomacy

We did the Mayan ruins last year through NCL. I would definitely recommend doing this excursion through your cruise line due to length of the tour and multiple methods of transportation.

I usually do schedule my excursions on my own but this one I did not want to chance it.

I have never been given a reason to be unhappy with a RCCL excursion, nor have I heard of one. However, the tours are very plain Jane. Tour guides don't talk to you while you are on the bus, your ruins tours are basically self guided. RCCL basically does transportation and you might get a 45 minute talk, if you are lucky. Most people just prefer to go the private route because it's cheaper.

I guess we were the lucky ones, because our tour through RCL was fantastic!

We took Freedom of the Seas on the Western route and when at Cozumel we took the Coba ruins tour. Its a bit further out than Tulum but the Coba ruins are situated in the jungle area, so there is a nice shade canopy while you are walking around.

On the bus, our tour guide was INCREDIBLY informative and chatty about the Mayans, their history and lifestyle. He talked specifically about what we would be seeing and answered questions. He talked almost the entire ride out.

Once at the ruins, we had the option to tour on our own but he said if anyone wanted to walk with him he would be happy to explain what we were seeing. Almost everyone stayed, and he gave an amazing tour of the site and had stories that brought the ruins to life for us. At the end, we had about 45 minutes to explore on our own before heading to the bus for the ride back. He didn't talk much on the ride back; he knew we were all tired...but did explain a bit about the lunch we were headed to at a 'cave' restaurant back in town. We had about 40 minutes to enjoy the buffet then the sprint back to a waiting ferry (we cut many people waiting on line) and then back to the ship.

Departure from Cozumel was scheduled at 6pm. We hit the dock from the ferry about 5:55pm and once the last member of the tour was on board, the gangway came up and we were off.

The tour was worth the money we spent and the peace of mind knowing we wouldn't miss the ship was priceless.

Accessible ruins by way of Cozumel: San Gervasio (on cozumel, easy to get to, not terribly exciting), Tulum, Mainland on the sea, Coba, Mainland an hour inland, Chichen Itza, Mainland 3 hrs inland.

If you reallly want to experience Mayan Ruins, the way to do it is on a land stay so you can spend more than an hour or two at the ruins. But if going off a ship from Cozumel and you really, really want to see them, I'd choose Coba in a heartbeat over Tulum (although the drive is longer). Just to climb that pyramid (which is a challenge but so worth it) was amazing and riding through the jungle with the pedi-guides......so much fun.