Having open heart surgery-Need advice -to cruise or not to cruise?

BTromboneFrack

I had open-heart surgery 21 years ago my pulmonary valve was replaced with a human valve, It took me 3 months before I could drive or lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. listen to your doctor I would think it depends what is being done to the heart muscle. I know things that affected me after the surgery was different than before like caffeine and alcohol.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

Like the others said, primarily, listen to your doctor, and your body. Having said that, I had a triple bypass, and was cruising a couple of months later. For me, cruising is COMPLETE RELAXATION, and probably the best thing for me.

Good luck, and I'll see you aboard. ;)

"SKY"

I confess I don't understand why someone would ask this question on a cruise board. Everyone will pop off about what they went through and some will say go for it and others will say stay home.

Everyone's case is different. "Mary" may have had heart surgery and she went on her cruise two months after yet "Joe", who had the same surgery, may still be off his feet months later. Every case is different and only your doctor and yourself will know if you're in good enough shape to make the trip.

Why ask? The OP is feeling vulnerable and scared, it's heart surgery, not a tonsillectomy. He's likely feeling quite alone with this. This thread might be reassuring that others have cruised post surgery. He'll know more about how he feels after the surgery and getting his heart fixed.

As many folks have said every patient is different. If your in fairly good shape now that will be a factor. Cardiac rehab, for me was extremely helpful. Phase 1 starts while you are in the hospital. Phase 2 starts in about 3-4 weeks. Its a gym like setting, but they monitor your heart as you go through exercises to build back your strength and stamina. Cardiac rehab is covered by insurance. You will need a prescription from the cardiologist, not the surgeon. In addition to cardiac rehab I found walking 3 times a day very helpful. I was on restrictions for 8 weeks. Nothing over 5 lbs, ride in back seat of car, someone else must open and shut car doors, and doors at stores. Your Doc will give you more. Listen to him above all else.

I cruised 3 months after CABGx3. An additional resource is Mended Hearts. They are a support group for heart patients. They are on the web.

good luck in your journey,

Dave W.

Houston

Why ask? The OP is feeling vulnerable and scared, it's heart surgery, not a tonsillectomy. He's likely feeling quite alone with this. This thread might be reassuring that others have cruised post surgery. He'll know more about how he feels after the surgery and getting his heart fixed.

Because I also had heart surgery and I didn't get heart advice on a cruise forum. Like I said on my post...everyone is different. Offering advice to someone in his shoes is dangerous...only his doctor can determine if he is up for a cruise and listening to his own body.

I hope he can go with his doctor's blessing.

Edited by Cushing985

Because I also had heart surgery and I didn't get heart advice on a cruise forum. Like I said on my post...everyone is different. Offering advice to someone in his shoes is dangerous...only his doctor can determine if he is up for a cruise and listening to his own body.

I hope he can go with his doctor's blessing.

I don't think he meant advice as "actual" advice from us. He's already spoken with doctors about his concern and getting feedback from readers about their recovery.

I had my mitro valve repaired and a double bypass on April 15 2015 and I was on the Pride on June 5 2015 and I felt great and had no problems. Before I even thought about going I had a long talk with my Surgeon, my Cardiologist and my General practitioner and they all agreed that it would be a great idea for me to go. I however didn't get final clearance from my surgeon til the tuesday before we left. Talk to all of your doctors and respect the answer that they give you because after it is fixed you will have pleanty of time to cruise good luck and GOD bless

I'll offer different things to consider related to trip insurance. Read the cancellation section of your travel insurance policy carefully. (I don't mean the summary of coverages; you need the pages with all the terms and conditions.). Does your policy cover you for pre-existing conditions? If it doesn't and you cancel, they will scrutinize your health records to see if there was a pre-existing condition. Does your policy have the cancel for any reason coverage?

If you cancel for a medical reason, you will need a doctor to say you cannot go and be willing to attest to that on your claim forms. If your doctor says you can cruise but you decide you'd rather wait to cruise until you feel more recovered, then the cancellation won't be covered UNLESS your doctor will sign the forms saying he told you not to travel OR if you have the cancel for any reason coverage (which usually doesn't reimburse 100%.)

Also, if you're canceling for a medical condition, your policy probably requires you to cancel as soon as you are aware of the need to cancel. For example, assume your recovery isn't going well a couple weeks after the surgery and your doctor says you can't go on the cruise. But you hope you'll improve and decide to wait until closer to the cruise to make a decision. Then you end up not improving enough and finally cancel. In this situation, your policy probably won't cover the cancellation because you didn't cancel promptly after learning of the need to cancel.

Every policy is different. Even policies from the same company have details that vary by state, so you need to read your own policy.

I hope your surgery and recovery go well.

My DH has had 2 open heart surgeries. We ALWAYS buy Pre-existing Condition insurance. If he were to have a problem with his heart on a trip there's a good chance the plain insurance wouldn't cover - and medical evacuation can run upwards of $50,000 to $100,000.:eek:

We did have to cancel once after final payment due to a possible TIA - having the pre-existing condition insurance made getting a refund painless.

After his first surgery - in his 50's - it was 8 weeks before he felt up to going back to work (a desk and walk-about supervisory position). It was 12 weeks before he felt back to normal.

We'd never cruise without an OK from his surgeon and cardiologist.:)

I confess I don't understand why someone would ask this question on a cruise board. Everyone will pop off about what they went through and some will say go for it and others will say stay home.

Everyone's case is different. "Mary" may have had heart surgery and she went on her cruise two months after yet "Joe", who had the same surgery, may still be off his feet months later. Every case is different and only your doctor and yourself will know if you're in good enough shape to make the trip.

Hey, its like I said... I am NOT looking for medical advice. The decision will be mine, my doctor's and my family's decision. I was looking for what had happened to those who have had this situation before. I understand everyone is different. If people feel uncomfortable about putting anything about this on this thread, fine. I really appreciate all of those who told me how different their experiences were. That just makes me better prepared for all of the possibilities. So, to all of you have taken the time, thank you.

And thank you RuthlessBoss. You are right--no matter how good my attitude is about this whole thing, it is a bit scary. Its nice to know someone can reach out with a bit of understanding and that a cruise could be possible on the other end of this.

My husband had triple bypass surgery 26 years ago. He says he would have been happy to cruise at about 3 months after surgery (we went to Walt Disney World at that point for a trip that we had to cancel due to his surgery and that Disney World was willingly to cancel and reschedule at our convenience).

Of course, he was much younger then (early 40's) so I don't know if he would be as willing to travel at 3 months post op now.

He was restricted from lifting anything heavy and it was entertaining watching the dirty looks and insults that were mumbled at him as he stood there and watched his wife (me) lift the luggage in and out of the car. A sharp explanation to the worse offenders took care of the insults.

In any case, listen to your doctor and your body for your final decison.

I had quad by-pass January 23 of this year. I went on a cruise in May. If I had to say I felt like cruising 2 months after I would say no. I went through a 36 session rehab that helped me a lot. That was 3 times a week. I did travel in April after the surgery and felt fine. Don't get me wrong. I felt good enough to go. It is a long process but it beats the alternative. I am on the right side of the green grass.

I can offer the fact my dad had his mitral valve repaired at age 88 with it leaking back almost 80% of blood flow. He was tired easy finding he needed to stop and rest. For the first six months after surgery, he had some issues with low blood pressure causing dizziness and shortness of breath which did cause him some anxiety since it was similar to post surgery fluid build up in his lungs. He started his cardio rehab 90 days after surgery as ordered and could measure his walking in steps, any incline was tough and he needed to stop and rest a lot.

Once the meds that were causing the low blood pressure was stopped, he started seeing vast improvement and now continues to go the gym, 4-5 days a week, working the various machines for almost 90 minutes..usually 2 miles on the treadmill at 2.5 miles an hour and at a slight incline. Heart surgery turned him into a gym rat, other than warfarin, he is on no other heart related meds.

One of the posters mentioned that you may have to fly. Many airports are so huge, and require lots of walking. This may be a little hard on you. There is also some walking involved to get on the ship, and to walk the lengths of the decks. If you decide to go, you may need assistance, such as a wheelchair at the airport, and even to get on the ship.

I am sending healing prayers for a speedy recovery. It is very scary, but soon you will be on the mend. Think positive as you go in.

If you decide to go, please write a review, maybe title it "Cruising after Open-Heart surgery." Have a relaxing cruise if you go.