New to Platinum--Question

psantho

While it is suppose to be a perk, they will not have much if any time to attend to your needs as they are overwhelmed by the "suite guests" so unless you are in a penthouse or higher forget them. Can you imagine if they had to attend to all Platinum cruisers on board.

Using the search engine here on cc I found this thread,go down to post #2 by Demonyte

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2239197&highlight=platinum+concierge

Concierge service will vary from ship to ship. The *Away ships and Epic try to downplay the availability of concierge service due to the larger number of suite passengers. It IS still available to you as stated in the Platinum benefits, and if you press the issue you will receive access. I had access to the concierge on Getaway, although I had to press a little to get him to call me...

However on most of the other ships, the concierge is much more available to you as a Platinum guest and is useful in getting restaurant reservations, shore excursions, and getting on and off the ship in tender ports. You will have much better luck getting reservations from the concierge than you will on your own.

Plan ahead and make reservations yourself.

I plan(..ed previously) ahead by booking a Freestyle cruise, not by making a tight schedule and decisions what to eat and when on every night - months in advance.

Edited by Demonyte

I plan(..ed previously) ahead by booking a Freestyle cruise, not by making a tight schedule and decisions what to eat and when on every night - months in advance.

Where did I say months ahead? Planning ahead ON the ship is doable. IF you want- no plan- walk up- then be prepared for waits. You aren't the only one on the ship, nor are important enough for immediate service.

You aren't the only one on the ship, nor are important enough for immediate service.

Nobody is expecting immediate service, just delivery of promised perks (based on loyalty instead of random one-time sum of money to pay for said perk).

Where did I say months ahead? Planning ahead ON the ship is doable. IF you want- no plan- walk up- then be prepared for waits. You aren't the only one on the ship, nor are important enough for immediate service.

If NCL has no intention of honoring this perk for Platinum members it should be removed from the list of perks.

We just received platinum status, and are not really sure what the Concierge Service is all about. Are they able to get dinner reservations easier than we can do on our own? What types of things do they help with?

Even though it is listed as a perk it really isn't one since concierges are rarely available to Platinum members.

We just received platinum status, and are not really sure what the Concierge Service is all about. Are they able to get dinner reservations easier than we can do on our own? What types of things do they help with?

Technically you do have concierge service, but realistically you will have a difficult time getting the concierge to even notice you. Suite guests are 'VIP' on any ship and the concierge spends the vast majority of their time taking care of the VIP's.

Couple that with the exploding number of platinums due to the revised point system and you will be lucky to even speak to a concierge on a ship unless you are in a suite.

Technically you do have concierge service, but realistically you will have a difficult time getting the concierge to even notice you. Suite guests are 'VIP' on any ship and the concierge spends the vast majority of their time taking care of the VIP's.

Couple that with the exploding number of platinums due to the revised point system and you will be lucky to even speak to a concierge on a ship unless you are in a suite.

This is not true. All you have to do is call and leave a message with what you want and your room number. You will get a call back with the answer, reservation day/time or additional questions in regard to what you want.

Harriet

This is not true. All you have to do is call and leave a message with what you want and your room number. You will get a call back with the answer, reservation day/time or additional questions in regard to what you want.

Harriet

That was certainly not our experience, maybe because we cruise cheap -- Inside cabins.

On one cruise we couldn't even get the phone number for the Concierge.

Edited by NMLady

That was certainly not our experience, maybe because we cruise cheap -- Inside cabins.

I always have a letter in my room, along with certificates for early debarkation, early tenders, etc. Towards the end of the cruise they drop off special luggage tags also. I've only stayed in a suite once during these times I'm talking about....and this was when I was in lower cabins.

I'd contact GS and ask them for his phone number...or the person in charge of Latitudes on board the ship and ask them for the number.

Truthfully, I don't use them for much because I like to make my own reservations, etc. Maybe for early debarkation at the most most times.

But....I do tip them in accordance to how much I use them.

Harriet

We were directed to the Latitudes rep who had limited hours and really was not helpful at all. Perhaps that was because we were on the Epic, but still..... I agree if it is really not a perk then it should not be listed.

I've had a few Concierge contacts, which frankly, I have never needed. I've a very low key traveler, anyway. I don't need to contact a special source for special service. :)

Platinum status- as mentioned numerous times already- is common now. Hundreds on every cruise. It would be nice to have a higher level- which I would definitely qualify. It used to be 14 crusies to get to Platinum, which is how I got it. There were several times, when I was the only one on board. A few times got some "gifts", had several cpt dinner invites. Those days have been long gone for probably 10 years. :) It would not surprise me- down the road to have a revision of the perks.

If NCL has no intention of honoring this perk for Platinum members it should be removed from the list of perks.

When I was onboard Norwegian Breakaway, the cruise consultant (I refer to him as Mr. Massengill) had sheets printed with the Platinum benefits, purposely leaving that one item off, and would tell you very quickly that expecting it would be silly on your part, then laugh.

Harriet, I'm glad to read that is the normal success. I've only sought assistance on two sailings ever. I'm a big pre-planner, so I tend to board with my cruise week already fully arranged.

One single request on Norwegian Getaway was solved almost before I could describe the desire. Wow! :)

But . . . I needed assistance with multiple things at embarkation for Norwegian Breakaway, and Mr. Massengill made the experience start with every possible wrong first impression, and refused the contact number for concierge. :mad:

If I do need assistance in the future, I'm gonna 'zen channel' your success story. :)

I always have a letter in my room, along with certificates for early debarkation, early tenders, etc. Towards the end of the cruise they drop off special luggage tags also. ...

Harriet

As Platinum members we get that same packet and those luggage tags. Has nothing to do with Concierge perk though.

One cruise I would have liked to be able to phone concierge to see if we could get a Le Bistro reservation changed since neither Le Bistro nor reservation desk was answering phone but no contact for concierge, not even through front desk.