Dawn or the Jade? Which would you choose?

HandC4Me

We are trying to plan a mid-March Spring Break trip and are looking at either the Jade (out of Houston) or the Dawn (out of New Orleans). I'm seeking input that may help us decide one way or the other.

We did go on the Jewel last year at Spring Break (from Houston, same itinerary) and loved it. I know the Jade is the Jewel's sister ship, so we're already somewhat familiar with it. Don't know much about the Dawn. The itineraries and pricing of both cruises are fairly close.

Trying to think of things like: does the Dawn have a nice port/parking lot setup, etc, like the Jade does? Or anything really that might help us weigh pros and cons.

Opinions welcome; thanks in advance!

No question in my mind at all - we loved the Jade, did not enjoy the Dawn at all. Had the Dawn been our first cruise on NCL we would not have gone back. The Dawn's buffet was dark and dingy, the service in the main dining room was extremely slow; the seats were uncomfortable in the theater.

I certainly would not turn down another cruise on the Dawn, especially after next year's dry dock, but I have agree with the others, the Jade is better. If you are interested in the Spa Thermal Suite, the Jade's is much nicer than the Dawn's.

Unfortunately, I'd much rather cruise out of New Orleans than Houston…

All things being equal, the Jade. But they aren't. The Dawn has an extra port (I think Costa Maya isn't on the Jade's itinerary), so I would choose the Dawn.

I've always gone on 4 port itinerary on 7 day cruises. A couple of times, we've had to miss a port due to weather, and then only having 3 stops is still OK, but it doesn't make the vacation a total bust. If on a 3 port itinerary and we missed a port, I'd be pretty bummed at only getting 2 ports on a 7 day cruise.

That's just my take on it though. People have different priorities. I look at the ship as more like a taxi that takes me to the ports I want to go to.

Thanks all, so very much! Having helpful information and opinions like these is what makes these forums so great.

We were leaning towards the Jade anyway, so now it looks like that's what we'll go with. Just nice to have some extra confirmation that it's a good choice for us.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any idea how far south Jade will get on the first evening after departing Houston? Will it be warm enough to be out on deck by the next afternoon? Anyone with experience departing Houston would be appreciated. Booked Jade for Jan 2.

Anyone have any idea how far south Jade will get on the first evening after departing Houston? Will it be warm enough to be out on deck by the next afternoon? Anyone with experience departing Houston would be appreciated. Booked Jade for Jan 2.

After leaving the Bayport Cruise terminal, the ship will be in Galveston Bay for approximately 4 hours. As you travel further south you will be able to see the coastline well into the night. Our previous two departures were mid-January. Fortunately, we had pleasant weather at embarkation, both times. Additionally, the second day grew progressively warmer as we headed further south, so the pool area was packed!

Our biggest concerns will be weather delays (fog, especially) and getting out of the port in a timely manner. Likewise, upon returning. While it has not been our experience, it does happen.

The Dawn does not have the Spinnaker lounge in the top bow with wonderful view. That space is cabins. It also does not have The Great Outdoors.

Definitely the Jade for the same reasons as above. A much nicer ship. It also has another area. It may be called Dazzles that they schedule activities in, so you end up with more choice of things to do on the Jade.

Edited by karoo

Itinerary aside, I have only been on the Jade so I can't say about the Dawn.

The Jade is a cool ship and we thoroughly enjoyed sailing with her.

Of course, it helped that we were in a 2 bedroom Penthouse suite.

[YOUTUBE]POIy0VzgXGw[/YOUTUBE]

Her complimentary Main Dining Room food exceeded our expectations and we ended up eating there most of the time.

[YOUTUBE]xOimIZW3xEw[/YOUTUBE]

Not been on either, but are booked on the Dawn for a cruise they Thanksgiving. Living in Dallas/Ft Worth, we were also looking at Galveston or New Orleans so we could drive.

I was totally aware that the Jade class is the "upgraded" Dawn class. If I'm correct, the Gem/Jade/ Pearl were supposed to be the same class, but they were put on hold due to the travel slowdown after 9/11 and the "tweets" were made to the class during that time.

So why did we book the Dawn?

As mentioned before:

1) Extra port

2) traveling out of NOLA is a lot more interesting than Houston/Galveston. Being a Sunday-Sunday, we can drive down on Saturday, enjoy dinner in the city, then do a little sight seeing the next morning in the FQ.

3) The Spinnaker lounge. Wait, what? Isn't this the lounge everyone complains about having been moved? Yes it is. However, if you are staying in one of the Family Suites that replaced it, you get the benefit of the wonderful floor to ceiling windows all the time! While 2 (or I guess even a single) can book the rooms, we needed to as we are a family of 5 (daughters 14,10,and 10). The suite was less expensive then a balcony (and maybe even on OV) along with an inside on the Jade.

4) Suite perks

Disclaimer- when the deals were at their best - free or 50% off kids, free gratuities, OBC, free tips, free UBP, free UDP (the good ones that covered everyone) I rebooked to get these deals, and booked the same cruise for Thanking 2016, and the a 5 day out of Tampa in Jan 17 on the Star (also dawn class family suite). When they made the announcement to move the Star to Asia- we rebooked on the Jade. But since there are no Family Suites (SJ) we upgraded to SC. This was a good bit more expensive, but the room is a also a good bit nicer. Thats a lot of travel (and $) in a short period of time, so we'll probably only take one of the two. You know- feels like a good time to start a thread!

We cruised out of Bayport on April 4, 2015. As you will be cruising similar time of year it will depend on prevailing weather when you leave Houston. We had nice, warm weather. We were out on our balcony right away. But some years we can be cooler here in Texas. So, just check the 10 day forecast a few days before you leave for a good idea.

Some people do not like the long channel to open water. But I love it.

And, having cruised Dawn and Jewel, (twice), I would choose Jade. In fact I have Jade booked. But it is a ways off.

we've been on the Dawn many times, for Boston-Bermuda and 1 repo cruise. All in all, we enjoyed every cruise on her. Food, service and entertainment were very good.

However, if given the choice, I'd go with the Jade. Why? because it has the great outdoors and forward spinnaker lounge which the Dawn lacks. Although we've never been on the Jade, we cruised on her sister ships----Jewel and Pearl.

I can't tell you about the ports of New Orleans or Houston, because I haven't sailed from them. Good luck with your choice, and enjoy your cruise.

Not been on either, but are booked on the Dawn for a cruise they Thanksgiving. Living in Dallas/Ft Worth, we were also looking at Galveston or New Orleans so we could drive.

I was totally aware that the Jade class is the "upgraded" Dawn class. If I'm correct, the Gem/Jade/ Pearl were supposed to be the same class, but they were put on hold due to the travel slowdown after 9/11 and the "tweets" were made to the class during that time.

So why did we book the Dawn?

As mentioned before:

1) Extra port

2) traveling out of NOLA is a lot more interesting than Houston/Galveston. Being a Sunday-Sunday, we can drive down on Saturday, enjoy dinner in the city, then do a little sight seeing the next morning in the FQ.

3) The Spinnaker lounge. Wait, what? Isn't this the lounge everyone complains about having been moved? Yes it is. However, if you are staying in one of the Family Suites that replaced it, you get the benefit of the wonderful floor to ceiling windows all the time! While 2 (or I guess even a single) can book the rooms, we needed to as we are a family of 5 (daughters 14,10,and 10). The suite was less expensive then a balcony (and maybe even on OV) along with an inside on the Jade.

4) Suite perks

Disclaimer- when the deals were at their best - free or 50% off kids, free gratuities, OBC, free tips, free UBP, free UDP (the good ones that covered everyone) I rebooked to get these deals, and booked the same cruise for Thanking 2016, and the a 5 day out of Tampa in Jan 17 on the Star (also dawn class family suite). When they made the announcement to move the Star to Asia- we rebooked on the Jade. But since there are no Family Suites (SJ) we upgraded to SC. This was a good bit more expensive, but the room is a also a good bit nicer. Thats a lot of travel (and $) in a short period of time, so we'll probably only take one of the two. You know- feels like a good time to start a thread!

We have not been on the Jade but will look forward to a booking in the near future thanks to the positive comments in this thread. Now, concerning the Dawn. We had a wonderful cruise on Dawn with our family of 8 spring break last year. The family suites are wonderful when you have a larger group. They will hold 6 but in our case, we split up in 2 rooms of four and had plenty of room. The views out of the floor to ceiling windows are great! Also, the service on the Dawn was of the highest quality.

partigus, we will be with you on the Dawn Thanksgiving 2016 cruise with our 4 grandchildren ... girls 16 & 15 and boys 14 and 12. (That is how old they will be next Nov.) Looking forward to our meeting. :)

Edited by picodrive

We have not been on the Jade but will look forward to a booking in the near future thanks to the positive comments in this thread. Now, concerning the Dawn. We had a wonderful cruise on Dawn with our family of 8 spring break last year. The family suites are wonderful when you have a larger group. They will hold 6 but in our case, we split up in 2 rooms of four and had plenty of room. The views out of the floor to ceiling windows are great! Also, the service on the Dawn was of the highest quality.

partigus, we will be with you on the Dawn Thanksgiving 2016 cruise with our 4 grandchildren ... girls 16 & 15 and boys 14 and 12. (That is how old they will be next Nov.) Looking forward to our meeting. :)

GREAT- looking forward to it!