UBP price increase, $15 per drink? But...

Jbrattoncruise

Ok, how about EVERYONE go back to my first post and read the last sentence. This started as a thread asking a question about the beverage package (which has been addressed only TWICE [in 6 pages of comments]). It was not intended to be an arena for a childish argument.

Sorry but this is a discussion forum where people discuss things, you can not dictate how the thread will end up. Most of the discussion has been very on-topic so it is not against forum rules either.

Also you could have just as well asked your question in the UBP thread where the whole $64/$15 issue was brought up to begin with instead of starting another thread.

Edited by Demonyte

So, we have a cruise coming up in January on the escape with the current UBP (drinks up to $11). So, since the UBP is allegedly increasing in price and the limit per drink is allegedly increasing to $15 per drink, one can only speculate that the prices of drinks will go up.

My question is this; will the UBP we have be upgraded to the new package which covers $15 drinks or be stuck with a limit of $11? If that is The case, along with multiple other changes, we will be highly inclined to cancel this cruise, since the UBP will become much less valuable (especially since we could cruise celebrity and get whatever we wanted on their premium package).

Hopefully people at NCL read these blogs.

Thanks for your input, and no snarky replies are necessary.

Only basing this on my experience with the last UBP change. When I booked my Sept. cruise with free UBP, the drink limit was $10 and anything over had to be paid in full. When I finally sailed, the new drink limit of $11 and only charges for the overage was in place and was applied without incident.

My assumption would then be that the bartenders will observe whatever the current UBP terms are when you sail.

So, we have a cruise coming up in January on the escape with the current UBP (drinks up to $11). So, since the UBP is allegedly increasing in price and the limit per drink is allegedly increasing to $15 per drink, one can only speculate that the prices of drinks will go up.

My question is this; will the UBP we have be upgraded to the new package which covers $15 drinks or be stuck with a limit of $11? If that is The case, along with multiple other changes, we will be highly inclined to cancel this cruise, since the UBP will become much less valuable (especially since we could cruise celebrity and get whatever we wanted on their premium package).

Hopefully people at NCL read these blogs.

Thanks for your input, and no snarky replies are necessary.

You should call NCL and ask your question.

The way I understand it if the prices are increasing as has been posted in this thread if you have already purchased the package it will be honored just like the new package and will get the $15 drinks at the $54 price. If you purchase the package after the stated date you will be charged the extra $10 per day

But calling NCL is the best option to get the answer you want. Just relying on cruise critic posters to say what they think might not be the actual truth. Always best to call.

Edited by abe3

What I am waiting for clarification about is how they will handle people who have booked further out, like for 2016/2017. If you already have the promotional UBP on your booking, any applicable service charges are already listed in your cruise invoice to be paid by your final payment date. Is that all they mean by "paying" the gratuities? In which case, the UBP price increase does not affect any existing UBP bookings. Or do they actually require people to pay those service charges with a credit card by October 1st, otherwise NCL will issue them a new invoice with higher charges?

Wasn't this the case with the DSC? Prepay by a certain date or you MUST pay the higher rate. This happened to me twice this year. I guess one can argue that DSC is a discretionary charge but it's still the same principle...you are unlikely to be "grandfathered in"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should call NCL and ask your question.

The way I understand it if the prices are increasing as has been posted in this thread if you have already purchased the package it will be honored just like the new package and will get the $15 drinks at the $54 price. If you purchase the package after the stated date you will be charged the extra $10 per day

But calling NCL is the best option to get the answer you want. Just relying on cruise critic posters to say what they think might not be the actual truth. Always best to call.

I agree, calling NCL is the best option. OP, if you do call NCL, could you please come back and let us all know what they said.

The cost is a lot of money for alcoholic drinks. NCL could make it better by including non-alcoholic drinks. Celebrity Cruise includes bottled water, specialty coffee (cappuccino, expresso, etc.), energy drinks. When exiting the ship at each port, they had 1 liter bottles of water (free for those with UBP) to take off the ship. Celebrity also included health juices and smoothies at their AquaSpa Cafe. NCL does not include any of this with their UBP.

Reflect_Dec13_Menus_IMG_4179.jpg

Couldn't agree more!! I think most cruisers can easily see when comparing cruise line costs and package benefits that NCL doesn't include those types of drinks in their packages. It's pretty glaring to me that I'm basically paying for a useless perk, with a higher suite price.

When the gratuities were included in the package perk I chose it as one of my two choices because NCl paid UBP grats and my cruise fare was no higher than without package. Now the fares are priced to absorb that UBp.

If one person drinks and one doesn't then the person drinking must drink probably a minimum of four/day to break even on the package grats. Would be much more palatable if the non drinker got some benefit for the grats they pay for and don't use. If they would add the above described drinks then choosing UBP perk would be a lot more desirable for lite drinkers, non drinkers and couples with only one drinker.

Ok, how about EVERYONE go back to my first post and read the last sentence. This started as a thread asking a question about the beverage package (which has been addressed only TWICE [in 6 pages of comments]). It was not intended to be an arena for a childish argument.

I answered it in post #12! :D

FYI, all posts on this forum turn into childish arguments. Just read your answer, then stop visiting the threads. Unfortunately, that's the only way to make it go away. Good luck!

Found on facebook

12039445_10204795575668773_4146233441007082291_n.jpg?oh=219e564652667be9c0a3802c4a991263&oe=568EFE4F

Thanks for sharing this info. I am not on Facebook and the DH who is on Facebook does not usually go to the NCL page. I put a call in to my agent as we have the UBP and UDP promo. I am thinking our 18% will be on the the old price for when we booked our cruise but just in case I would rather pay now than later. Oh well at least we have the pre-paid service charges and the $200 onboard to spend.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

Does the Carnival beverage package included water? I think that would be a cruise line more in line with NCL, then Celebrity is.

I don't know about Carnival but I've priced a lot of Celebrity Cruises and the prices are competitive. In many cases, Celebrity is less expensive. But if you mean similar types of cruises.... we picked NCL over Celebrity because of the waterslides and other entertainment for kids. If just me and my spouse, probably just as happy with Celebrity.

I don't know about Carnival but I've priced a lot of Celebrity Cruises and the prices are competitive. In many cases, Celebrity is less expensive. But if you mean similar types of cruises.... we picked NCL over Celebrity because of the waterslides and other entertainment for kids. If just me and my spouse, probably just as happy with Celebrity.
I also cruise with Celebrity and on the cruises I've priced, NCL is always a lot cheaper, that is why I added NCL into the mix of the cruise lines I cruise on. I mean I think NCL is more similar to Carnival, then they are to Celebrity, IMHO based on cruising on both lines.

ncl posting consistent information on their various websites? Roflmao

we have all seen ncl's track record on consistency and clarity of communication recently - it's not good.

you are preaching to the choir on this one; i've said their communications is lousy!!

yes!!! ;)

Does the Carnival beverage package included water? I think that would be a cruise line more in line with NCL, then Celebrity is.

I don't know about the beverage package but you are able to pre-order Purified Water - 12 Pack for only $2.99. It is waiting for you in the room wrapped in a red bow and saves you from carrying it on.

So let me get this straight. I booked my cruise with the UBP for the Freestyle Choices promo and it's currently up to $11 per drink. This will change at the beginning of October. So if my cruise is in November I have to prepay my gratuities to get the $15 price or the $11 price?

I'd rather have it comped up to $15. I'm confused.

EDIT: I guess it would also be helpful to ask how much the average drink costs on NCL. I read somewhere that a beer was 10 bucks, which leads me to believe that any mixed or frozen drinks would be $12+

Edited by imakemistaeks

So let me get this straight. I booked my cruise with the UBP for the Freestyle Choices promo and it's currently up to $11 per drink. This will change at the beginning of October. So if my cruise is in November I have to prepay my gratuities to get the $15 price or the $11 price?

I'd rather have it comped up to $15. I'm confused.

EDIT: I guess it would also be helpful to ask how much the average drink costs on NCL. I read somewhere that a beer was 10 bucks, which leads me to believe that any mixed or frozen drinks would be $12+

IF what people are posting is true, then the working theory is that since you are still responsible for gratuities for your free UBP, you need to pay the gratuities by September 30th in order for you to pay the gratuities on 54/day. If you do, then whatever the current conditions are for the UBP on the day of embarkation will apply to you (i.e. all drinks under 15/day would be applicable to you as well - even though you paid gratuities on 54/day).

If you pay after October 1st...then you need to pay gratuities on 64/day and the new UBP conditions (i.e. all drinks under 15/day) would be applicable as well.

Basically, IF this is true, by paying your gratuities before October 1, you save 1.80/day. (The difference between 18% of 64.00 and 18% of 54 dollars).

IF what people are posting is true, then the working theory is that since you are still responsible for gratuities for your free UBP, you need to pay the gratuities by September 30th in order for you to pay the gratuities on 54/day. If you do, then whatever the current conditions are for the UBP on the day of embarkation will apply to you (i.e. all drinks under 15/day would be applicable to you as well - even though you paid gratuities on 54/day).

If you pay after October 1st...then you need to pay gratuities on 64/day and the new UBP conditions (i.e. all drinks under 15/day) would be applicable as well.

Basically, IF this is true, by paying your gratuities before October 1, you save 1.80/day. (The difference between 18% of 64.00 and 18% of 54 dollars).

Is the "beverage service charge" that I paid what that is under or is it the daily gratuity that you can pay in advance or as you leave?

Is the "beverage service charge" that I paid what that is under or is it the daily gratuity that you can pay in advance or as you leave?

Yes, the service charge for bar services calculated from the retail price of the package is what you pay in advance, it has nothing to do with $13.50-$15.50pppd service charge that covers services that are available to all passengers like complimentary restaurants, housekeeping, etc.

Yes, the service charge for bar services calculated from the retail price of the package is what you pay in advance, it has nothing to do with $13.50-$15.50pppd service charge that covers services that are available to all passengers like complimentary restaurants, housekeeping, etc.

Ah, okay. I've paid that so I should be good.

Where did you read that? Beers are around $6, $7 with tip. Here are some photos of the temporary bar menu introduced last March, when they raised all the prices. (The prices have stayed the same since then, as far as I know.)

I booked my cruises in January before they charged the service charge n the drink packages. The tips were included free. Is this still the case? I have heard reports from friends that just returned than they had to pay the tips on each drink.

Everybody with UBP is handled the same onboard (that means no gratuities are charged) - if any gratuities are charged it's done before the cruise.

On some itineraries (specifically at/close to some ports) one needs to pay taxes - not gratuities.