UBP price increase, $15 per drink? But...

Jbrattoncruise

When NCL first started these packages a couple years ago the offer for 2015 cruises was $799 AI for 6-8 day cruises and $1049 for 9-14 day cruise. If you purchased the package you also received a 10% fare discount. The AI included; all gratuities, UBP, UDP, DSC, 250 internet mins, $200 per person shore excursion credit, 20 photos, bingo, bottles of water, chocolate covered strawberries, and wine bottle in stateroom. Great deal if booked in a suite as the 10% cruise fare savings made the cost basically free. Way back then, two years ago, this package cost more than most inside or ocean view rooms so cost prohibitive if you didn't drink.

Then they changed plan a little each month. Late last year and up till I think April this year they offered pick two from $200 obc, UBP, UDP, pre paid gratuities or some variation on Europe cruises and pick one for US sailings.

Gratuity on beverage free offer and UDP free offer then no longer included and now UDP is Usp which limits days you can eat speciality dining. Also eliminated ocean view and lower getting one of the choices for 2016 cruises.

All the while you're now paying more for your cruise fares in most cases.

Land based vacation costs have also been increasing but not at this rate.

For someone like me who doesn't drink I could care less if the UBP increased. What does bug me is that when it's automatically now given as a perk in a suite I know that my fare is now higher because of the free perk and I don't even get a speciality coffee for free.

So for those of us who do not have the ubp and have to pay for our drinks, does this mean we will be paying even more? What is the price for a normal mixed drink? Just wondering if I should upgrade to a balcony for the ubp even though I got a great rate on the interior room.

Edited by cubsfan2008

Back in March, the increase in drink prices was reported as 6.7%. (I don't know if anyone has ever verified this independently.)

My figure of 10-20% raises was based on my own drinking habits - the raises were biggest on lower end, like well liquors (I drink usually rum+mixer).

So for those of us who do not have the ubp and have to pay for our drinks, does this mean we will be paying even more? What is the price for a normal mixed drink? Just wondering if I should upgrade to a balcony for the ubp even though I got a great rate on the interior room.

I'm pretty sure NCL prefers you upgrade to balcony. And it looks like they prefer you do so pretty soon to avoid the increase of gratuity. If you only drink beer I'm guessing you will not necessarily be paying $15/beer but who knows. I'm thinking that they may still be offering specials on board for things like martini mixology or something of the sort where you could get some drinks for a lot less than UBP though in which case the great deal you have on your stateroom would be worth keeping.

It sure would be nice if they would include things like speciality coffee, canned soda and water bottles at that price point. It's pretty silly that if booked in a suite and you don't drink alcohol you can't get a specialty coffee but all the alcohol you won't be consuming is included. I'm hoping if the price is raising on the package they could at least throw in a bone for non drinkers.

You can get a alcoholic coffee.

Has anyone tried to negotiate a downgrade to one of the lower non alcoholic packages?

with EU,UK,AUS bookings including the 18% with CHOICE it changes the price comparison further in favour of those regions, some cruise are cheaper before this difference.

The big thing to look out for is the next round of CHOICE, which cruise dates and cabins will include the UBP or will they go to the RCCL model give the junior package(C&C) free and you have to update for premium.

The current CHOICE inside and studio get UBP on cruises up to 31March UK/EU booking window closes end of month(Wed). We need the new CHOICE leaked ASAP to make that booking decision.

There was a push on EPIC bookings Friday with an inside cabin dump through a UK TA 11n Cruise, flight, 1n hotel inc UBP(no extra charge) at $610(£399)

===========

Just noticed US T&C's on choice says 31st Oct but banner says 3more days.

is there another change coming.

Edited by insidecabin

Seems they are pushing alcohol to the point where it is becoming like carnival. There were times where I couldn't go 9 minutes without having a drink pushed on me.

It's the opposite now. On the pool deck at sailaway every 5 minutes someone was asking you if you wanted a drink. I'm on the Sky right now, and at sailaway there were 3 waiters for both decks of the outdoor area. If you wanted a drink, you needed to go to the bar.

It sure would be nice if they would include things like speciality coffee, canned soda and water bottles at that price point. It's pretty silly that if booked in a suite and you don't drink alcohol you can't get a specialty coffee but all the alcohol you won't be consuming is included.
If you are booked in a suite you have an espresso machine in the room. But I agree with your point, it is getting kind of silly that they continue to exclude these drinks that cost them next to nothing. My guess is that they are already looking forward to the next price increase, and they need to have something in reserve that they can add in at that time to justify the new increase. It's not like they can just keep raising the price limit on individual drinks (and the higher the limit goes, the more stingy and ridiculous it is that they won't include a $3 coffee or bottle of water).

But..but.....we all know that this newest price increase is also for our own convenience.:rolleyes:

Its for your convenience if you want to buy the package. NCL is not forcing you to buy the package and if you don't think it is worth it then don't get it.

NCL is still honoring the price before the deadline, so if you already have the package purchased then no worries about the price increase. To me $64 might be a little over priced for me since I am not a real heavy drinker, but if they are going to offer it as a promo I will take it and pay the gratuities and still it's a great deal.

Edited by abe3

Its for your convenience if you want to buy the package. NCL is not forcing you to buy the package and if you don't think it is worth it then don't get it.

NCL is still honoring the price before the deadline, so if you already have the package purchased then no worries about the price increase. To me $64 might be a little over priced for me since I am not a real heavy drinker, but if they are going to offer it as a promo I will take it and pay the gratuities and still it's a great deal.

Morning sunshine.

When I was in my 20's (college, young and stupid phase) I went on a few cruises with my family and lived it up. However back then, you could sometimes get away with having alcohol on board you purchased. I remember mixing my own rum and cokes and having the nerve at the rccl disco to bring us ice for our drinks lol.

Now that I am more responsible (40's going on 60's) I occassionally have a few drinks, but it was more or less the latitutdes party, the wine tasting lunch play and one purchase of a drink.

As the whole cruise with everything is around 2k and a week off from work, I prefer to get up early, use the gym , walking track etcc and be in good shape.

The UDP promo won't do me any good- and besides they charge gratutity on it anyway which comes to a drink or 2 a day.

Given the high price the exclusion of coffee/water is inexplicable, as is the need for everyone in the cabin to purchase the package.

Everyone in the cabin needs to purchase it because people will take advantage of it giving drinks for all in the cabin that are not paying for it.

The water on the ship is really good so no need for bottle water.

Everyone in the cabin needs to purchase it because people will take advantage of it giving drinks for all in the cabin that are not paying for it.

The water on the ship is really good so no need for bottle water.

This is not an issue at Royal Caribbean. Not everyone has to purchase the package, and they include coffee and bottled water.

Yes you are right. If you don't like what NCL offers go somewhere else. NCL is not holding a gun to your head.

Actually for cruisers who are within final payment ( like me) they do have a gun to your head. Fortunately we already paid the gratuity but those who haven't will be stuck with the higher rate.

Actually for cruisers who are within final payment ( like me) they do have a gun to your head. Fortunately we already paid the gratuity but those who haven't will be stuck with the higher rate.

Well they can pay the lower rate before the deadline or if they don't like the price they can cancel before final payment.

I don't know which cruisers you are talking about who have the UBP on their booking (whether as a perk or pre-purchased), are within final payment, and have not yet paid the gratuities. Nobody is in that situation.

What I am waiting for clarification about is how they will handle people who have booked further out, like for 2016/2017. If you already have the promotional UBP on your booking, any applicable service charges are already listed in your cruise invoice to be paid by your final payment date. Is that all they mean by "paying" the gratuities? In which case, the UBP price increase does not affect any existing UBP bookings. Or do they actually require people to pay those service charges with a credit card by October 1st, otherwise NCL will issue them a new invoice with higher charges?

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Yet if I say they should include coffee or water at $64 + 18% per day you told me to leave. No, not a corporate shill at all. silly me.

What one of coffee you want. They have regular coffee for free. Maybe they should include the ice bar for free with the UBP or Carlos bakery with the UDP for free. Sometimes life is not fair you just have to deal with what is offered.

What one of coffee you want. They have regular coffee for free. Maybe they should include the ice bar for free with the UBP or Carlos bakery with the UDP for free. Sometimes life is not fair you just have to deal with what is offered.

Yes, and nothing wrong with saying Royal Caribbeans package is better and NCL should match it. You are a master at spinning stuff, I will give you that.

We are booked in a Haven Suite for next year. We booked during the August promo of UBP, UDP, Free Gratuties and Wifi. There was no mention at the time of us having to pay for any gratuities. Nothing was charged to our card except the initial deposit.

Does anyone know if the gratuities are included for Haven bookings or should I be calling NCL to pay for them before this new deadline of price changes?