Cruise from San Francisco

Benjis

I (as well as many people everyday) take luggage on the F line. Can it be a little crowded? Yes...Is it really that big of a deal? NO

So, in order to save a few bucks over a Super Shuttle (or even Execucar), you and others on this thread are suggesting schlepping (for example) a 50 lb suitcase and a carry-on per person across SFO to the BART station, climbing on a crowded commuter train, climbing to street level at the end of the line and then climbing onboard a renovated old trolley packed with tourists (F line)? This has to be the best definition of "pennywise and pound foolish."

So, in order to save a few bucks over a Super Shuttle (or even Execucar), you and others on this thread are suggesting schlepping (for example) a 50 lb suitcase and a carry-on per person across SFO to the BART station, climbing on a crowded commuter train, climbing to street level at the end of the line and then climbing onboard a renovated old trolley packed with tourists (F line)? This has to be the best definition of "pennywise and pound foolish."

You are going to "schlep" you suitcase across SFO anyway. And Yes, I am suggesting that this is a viable option for a person in reasonable shape. (elderly, people with little kids and folks mobility issues are a whole different issue). Just because YOU don't think it is a good option doesn't make it "pennywise and pound foolish" for others. :rolleyes:

The whole reason they spent a billion bucks building the BART/SFO line is so people can schlep their luggage to and from :p

Remember BART to OAK (before the new tram) where you had to go down to the street level and hop on one of the shuttle buses only to find out no cash accepted and you had to get another BART ticket for the exact fare? During a Raiders game :eek:

You are going to "schlep" you suitcase across SFO anyway. And Yes, I am suggesting that this is a viable option for a person in reasonable shape. (elderly, people with little kids and folks mobility issues are a whole different issue). Just because YOU don't think it is a good option doesn't make it "pennywise and pound foolish" for others. :rolleyes:

No schlepping needed. Super Shuttle (and Execucar) pickup right outside each terminal baggage claim area. Not so for BART. And thanks for making my case: BART and F Line really not an option for families, seniors, etc.

But I still maintain that BART and F line crowds are not worth the few bucks saved even if you don't mind (or can handle) the hassles.

As a 70 year old, I'm beginning to think it might be easier to fly the 90 miles into SFO then take a private car hire to the cruise ship instead of Amtrak to Emryville then a bus across the bay, and then a cab (assuming I can get one for the short trip down the Embarcadero) to the pier. This would be for me, my walker, a big rolling duffel and a couple carryons. Whew, I'm tired already!!:D

Edited by Treven

As a 70 year old, I'm beginning to think it might be easier to fly the 90 miles into SFO then take a private car hire to the cruise ship instead of Amtrak to Emryville then a bus across the bay, and then a cab (assuming I can get one for the short trip down the Embarcadero)to the pier. This would be for me, my walker, a big rolling duffel and a couple carryons. Whew, I'm tired already!!:D

If you can easily find a cab to take you from Emeryville to SF, you are a special person. Sounds like you may be coming from Sac. You may want to consider driving and parking at the Ferry lot in Larkspur and then taking the Ferry. Of course you'll still have to walk down the Embarcadero to the cruise terminal.

Except that I no longer drive. No, I wouldn't try to get a cab across the bay, I'd take the Amtrak thru-way bus from Emreyville to various points in The City. I don't know how close the thru-way bus stops from the new terminal. It didn't stop particularly close to the older pier.