Newbie with questions

Hudsongrl

Hubby and I have never cruised. We are interested in Oceania's Mediterranean Cruise Rome to Monte Carlo next June. I am prone to motion sickness. We are thinking of one of the penthouse suites. Any advice on ship location? and are Mediterranean Cruises generally fairly smooth in June? Also do the motion sickness patches work?

Usually the middle of the ship has less motion

That and the lower the better.

I use Bonine (as needed) and it works fine - easier to use, less messy and fewer side effects for me.

The Med should be fairly calm.

YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili

Ginger also helps seasickness. I am also prone to queasiness in rough seas but I've found the Med in general to be as gentle as they come. Not always, of course ... no promises!

Further to ginger, I don't mean the powdered kind! You can suck on ginger candies. There are capsules you can buy. Ginger tea can also work.

Mura

And Seabands. The little elastic bands you wear on your wrist that uses a pressure point to ease nausea. They work well for both of us!

We have also used the patches and they are fine. DH had a real bad reaction with his blood pressure medication (messed with his balance) and cannot use them anymore. But I still employ them.

Donna

Edited by Toranut97
Spelling

I have a terrible time with motion sickness. I use the patches, sea bands and candied ginger--all at the same time. If there was a sea sickness vodoo doll, I would have one of those too ;-) If the seas are rough, I also use bonine, before bed. The only reaction I have had to the patches is a scratchy throat after a few days. It is best, for me, to start using the patch at least 24 hours before embarkation.

We try to choose a cabin in the middle of the ship, usually on Deck 8. We were on Nautica on a Med cruise. I have less of a problem on the larger ships. June should be o.k., but there is no guarantee.

If you are in a PH cabin, your butler will be happy to provide you with candied ginger and the ship's motion sickness pills.

I hope this information helps.

DH can suffer from terrible motion sickness if the seas are rough. He tried the Sea Bands, ginger and Bonine with no luck, and had a terrible reaction to the patch. Then, many years ago I bought him one of these:

http://www.reliefband.com/

It works like a charm! The trick is to put it on before you feel sick. He finds he doesn't need it when lying down, but otherwise he puts it on prior to the ship leaving port. We have also found that the aft of the ship is best for him, contrary to the common notion of midship being better for those who suffer motion sickness.