Thinking of Oceanis

Emerald city gal

Hi all; I am thinking of 12 day Seattle round trip to Alaska in June 16. Will be traveling with elderly mother(87) She is healthy but a little frail, she uses a walker. Looking at Penthouse suite. Cannot tell by picture if it has Separate shower stall. We have usually traveled on Holland, but most of the ships we have sailed have very high sided tubs. Very awkward for her to manage. Will we be a good fit? We live in Seattle. Thanks for any and all thoughts.:)

Hi all; I am thinking of 12 day Seattle round trip to Alaska in June 16. Will be traveling with elderly mother(87) She is healthy but a little frail, she uses a walker. Looking at Penthouse suite. Cannot tell by picture if it has Separate shower stall. We have usually traveled on Holland, but most of the ships we have sailed have very high sided tubs. Very awkward for her to manage. Will we be a good fit? We live in Seattle. Thanks for any and all thoughts.:)

004334.jpg

Above is an enlargement of the (very accurate) Penthouse schematic which you may have viewed on the Oceania Site.

As you can see, there is not a separate shower stall, and there isn't much of a ledge on the tub.

You and your mother Sound like a great fit for Oceania (Stan and I emigrated from HAL, ourselves!) but you may want to look into either a Vista Suite or an Owners Suite, both of which have gorgeous, spacious, newly renovated Master Bathrooms with walk in shower rooms (they are too grand to be called stalls), plus a second half bathroom which should eliminate any "sharing stress" which may crop up.

010903.jpg

The course by course in Suite Dining is also a pleasure in those larger Suites, because they include regulation sized dining tables. A Godsend for cruisers who may not always feel up to getting dressed to go into a dining room, but don't want to feel like they are making due with dinner on a tray night after night.

012328.jpg The difference in cost is not inconsiderable, but if it comes down to being able to make the journey work for you, or not, sometimes money is the lesser consideration.

in-suite-dining.jpg

Hope that this helped :D

Edited by StanandJim

I echo Jim's comments about the Owners suites. But do not for the Vista suites for an older person. If you have the least bit of rough weather which is always possible on any cruise it will be felt most in the front of the ship.

The Owners suites on the back of the ship with incredible views are heaven if you are lucky enough to snag one.

The Penthouse suites have a tub-with a half glass panel and a deep tub... looks awkward even to me.... The little shower in Inside cabins is great...why not save some dough and get 2 insides... they are on the 8th and 7 th deck and easier to the elevator than the forward $$$$$ suites Same with thestern long walk toget to anuwhere. Midship insides is where you can getin and easily all day... get right to all the stuff on Horizons ,orPool.

And As I said for your Mom way easier total access than the super expensive.

Figure rain will be with you half thetime...so your veranda is pretty useless ...zip upto Horizons where she can enjoy spacious views, and all manner of enjoyment....instead of being isolated in an extreme diatance fancy cabin....Nope.... notme.

Let me put it this way...If I am coming to Seattle to poke around will I that much better time if I get the most expensive room ???

I agree about the inside cabins. If I was traveling with anyone else that would be fine. She wants space and a balcony.

Your mother is absolutely prescient! A Veranda is a must in Alaska!

210845.jpg

This is breakfast being served on a Vista Suite veranda.

Just as nice as they show in the brochures

174058.jpg

Hi all

we've just booked this and I agree................... a balcony is a must!

As this is a short cruise (for us!) we need a good hotel in Seattle close to all the attractions!

Hope to see you on board

Josie

Four Seasons and Inn at the Market both very good and well located.

If you walk everything in Seattle is either up or down hill in any direction you walk.

New comers are never told that the entire city sits like SF.

Edited by orchestrapal

Hi all

we've just booked this and I agree................... a balcony is a must!

As this is a short cruise (for us!) we need a good hotel in Seattle close to all the attractions!

Hope to see you on board

Josie

Don't miss the Chihuly gardens!!!