St Thomas SCUBA recommendations

Rosieo

We used St. Thomas Diving Club and really enjoyed it. We will definitely use them again the next time we are in St. Thomas. They will pick you up near the cruise terminal and drop you off. Also, nitrox is available for a little extra if you like diving with it.

The only caveat is to make sure you coordinate with them VERY SPECIFICALLY about ship time versus local time. Depending upon where you cruise from, this may cause a little confusion, so make sure to clearly communicate with them.

I've gone with Blue Island Divers a few times and quite enjoyed their op.

I have heard people complain about the diving in St. Thomas, but I don't get it.

I think it depends on where you usually dive and what you find enjoyable. I've run into a lot of people that scoff at 35'-40' dives and only want to dive 80'-90' plus feet.

I like St. Thomas just fine. It's warm, generally has very nice vis, and several wrecks and reefs with lots of little things to see.

We are experience divers and are looking for info for diving in St. Thomas. We would like to hear who has dove here and how you liked it. Also what dive op did you use?

In 2013 I used Blue Island Divers and was very pleased with them. I did a 2 tank boat dive, my wife came along for another $20 and with the divemaster, there was 4 of us.

Blue Island Divers is great-Ask for "Web" Rob. Splash at the beach at Sapphire Beach is great, cheap. I dove with them for 3 winters. sometimes leaky regulators & slackers for safety-be aware: exceeding no decompression limits. it depends on the dive master.

I tried to book with Blue Island on my cruise to St Thomas in Nov 2014, but they were fully booked for that day already. They recommended Admiralty Dive, a "sister" shop, and I was pleased with their service and price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! From a girlfriend who lives in St. Thomas recommendation I dove with Admirality Dive Center. Duane is the Owner/Divemaster.

http://www.admiraltydive.com/

I hadn't been diving in a few years so I was pretty nervous. Lucky for me I was the only person on the boat besides Duane and two other divemaster's who were off that day! That made me feel very safe. They were hunting the evil Lion Fish that day. I followed Duane. He was great. Not even down 1 minute and he spotted several lobster. None for the taking though. They were all "expecting" :)

The visibility was great. The whole experience was GREAT! :) Have a blast!

• 4 weeks later...

I dove with Admirality Dive Center. They pick up/drop off right at the cruise pier. They took us to the navy barge, which is a sunken barge that pretty much only have its frame left. I feel like that is their go to dive, especially if it is purely for cruise ship divers and if I dive there again, I might end up going there. They boast about some movie filmed ther, but it wasn't anything too special, but maybe an easy relaxing dive.

In general, if an island only take you to wrecks, then that might mean their reef dives are not that great. I don't mind wrecks, but on a set of dives during a crooze trip, if every other dive is a wreck, that might become too many for the trip.