Dream: Best dining option for person w/hearing aids

bryanjaync

Thinking of taking 88 yo parents on Dream. Dad wears two hearing aids and in some MDR the noise is just too much for him.

On the Dream, what is the best option (Which dining room?, early/late or anytime dining?)

The do like the MDR for the food, the looks of most MDR and a special night, so the buffet all week for dinner is out.

Thanks

I would think that having a table for your family alone would be the best choice. If you are put into a large table with others that may make hearing conversation difficult.

For that reason I'd pick Anytime dining. You can have the same servers each night if you like them by just asking for a table in their area.

We cruised with my 80 year old grandparents in 2013. The MDR was indeed difficult, but it helped to be completely forward, almost in a corner. I would think YTD or a set time would be equally loud? But having the same servers nightly would help bc of the anticipation/familiarity of their preferences/habits, drink orders, etc...

My thought is that fewer people are now using the late dining, that would be a better choice. MTD is very popular as is early dining because of families with children.

I would ask your PVP or whomever you are booked through to see if they can request a table for just your family in a quiet(er) area and if they are unable to do so, to see the Maitre D' the first day onboard. More people prefer to be in the heart of the "action" so being away from that might be easy to get.

Good luck and there is nothing like sailing with family.

The buffet areas tend to be very noisy at meal times. The main dining rooms do too as people cannot converse in polite tones any longer; they seem to have to shout at the person seated next to them.

On ships with two dining rooms, the mid-ship one is smaller and should be somewhat less noisy. Also, late seating tends to be less noisy. The upper level of the dining room may also be quieter. We were assigned to the upper level on one cruise and the noise levels, at least in my perception were lower.

I do not use hearing aids, but I have a great deal of trouble hearing over background noise, so I have paid attention to this issue.

Doc

I have a moderate hearing loss in one ear and a severe hearing loss in the other ear. I do wear hearing aids. A Large table is difficult for me and I hesitate to participate in conversation as I sometimes hear only parts of conservations and fear responding in a way that makes no sense. We like YTD where we get a table for 2. The tables are very close together and we often do talk to people who are right next to us. it is much easier than a large round table for 10.