Dress code enforcement at the Pinnacle Grill ?

MikeInPgh

I just read a review of the 9/17 to 9/24 Zuiderdam cruise and while the writer as OK with the HMC/Nassau debacle, he seemed a little irked at the enforcement of the dress code at the Pinnacle Grill on a casual night. Seems that the Maitre d' was turning people away if the men were not wearing a suit or a tux. Not sure if he meant a sportscoat or a full suit, but....

Anyone else observe this event?

We are going on a casual night and yes, I would wear a coat. But is this dressy enough?

Mike

I have eaten in the Pinnacle Grill on the Rotterdam, Zuiderdam and Volendam on casual evenings and did not see anyone turned away yet. The men in our party at the Pinnacle did wear a jacket and shirt, but no tie. I'll be curious to hear of others experiences.

OK. Now I'm totally confused or just not totally awake this morning. I can understand applying the dress code for the night at the Pinnacle, that makes perfectly good sense. Are we saying that the Pinnacle's lowest standard is informal for informal and casual nights and, obviously, formal for formal nights? In other words, no casual in the Pinnacle at any time? It's not that it's a big issue to me, I'm just curious. Have only been on Oosterdam that had the Pinnacle and we were having so much fun with our tablemates we never tried it.

If the PG is now 'jacket required' then that is a change. My DH always wears a jacket, but the dress code had been the same as for the dining room and I have always seen men in the PG with no jacket on casual nights.

MIKE- Could you tell us where this review is that mentions the PG dress code enforcement. I can't seem to find it.

We've always gone on the first night, and the dress has always been casual. We dine early - 6-ish.

All the men in our party wore polo shirts to the Pinnacle.

The others dining at the same time were similarly dressed. I did see one man in a jacket and tie that night.

Thanks for the link to the review.

If by any chance the person who posted the review hangs out here at Cruise Critic, my question to him would be what was the dress code for the evening in the main dining room the night he was turned away from Pinnacle? I'm assuming he showed up on formal night in casual clothing, but who really knows ??????

Beav, I thought the same thing. The reviewer never said it was casual night and seemed to think the code in the PG was the same as the Lido - casual all the time.

I also disagree with the OP's statement that he seemed fine with the itinerary change. He seemed VERY VERY unfine to me. He lost some credibility with me when he accused the HM of putting "sarcastic condescending letters under our doors explaining they knew what we wanted". Somehow, I doubt that happened....

he seemed a little irked at the enforcement of the dress code at the Pinnacle Grill on a casual night.

Mike

Below is an excerpt from his review. The problem, as I see it, is the reviewer didn't identify what the evening's dress code was in the main dining room the night he was turned away from Pinnacle. If it was formal night, I can understand why he was denied entrance to PG. But if it was a casual night, then we've got problems here. Problem is, he didn't identify the ship's dress code of the evening.

Dress Code: Holland America was turning people away from it’s Pinnacle Grill, for not wearing a suite or tux. The daily program asked that no shorts or tea shirts be worn to the Pinnacle Grill but passengers not wearing a tux or suite were being turned away. I spoke with the Hotel Manager Diderik Van Regemorter and asked why there was such inconsistent information regarding the dress code policy, documentation and what the passengers were being told by the cruise staff. I explained that the last thing they should want to do is turn the passenger’s way that came dressed in business casual attire when they had been previously assured that business casual attire (kaki pants, dress shoes, and polo shirts) was fine for the Pinnacle Grill. I showed him the documentation re: dress code and he said regardless of the little pieces of paper in my hand it’s their prerogative to create, change, and enforce their dress code policy as they see fit. I was finished trying to reason with him at that point, I greatly suspected that the poor man was nursing a hangover from his previous nights dinning and I decided to just enjoy the rest of my cruise and get over the initial embarrassment of being denied seating at the Pinnacle Grill. FYI: Don’t risk it…Every night you must dine wearing a suite or tux with the only exception being the Lido Deck…The Lido deck (buffet style dinning) is casual.

Just to add my two cents here. In March we were on the Westerdam and went to the Pinnacle two times once was the first night the second was also a casual night. The first time DH only wore a very nice dress golf shirt no coat the second time he wore a dress shirt no tie with a sport coat. He had no problems either time :)

We were just on the Zuiderdam and dined at the PG on the 2nd night which was a casual night. We both were dressed in what I would call "country club casual" - summer skirt and blouse for me and a polo shirt and khaki's for DH. No problems whatsoever. When we had booked our reservation, we asked about the dress code and were told the PG's dress code follows the main dining room's dress code for the evening.

And just for what its worth, we had the opportunity to meet Mr. Van Regemorter and were very impressed by his friendliness and professional demeanor.

We just sailed on the Zuiderdam (Sept 10-24th) dress in the Pinnacle Grill was the same as the Vista Dining Room.. even on the sea day when they opened for lunch, it stated no shorts or swim wear. I made my dh put on long pants for lunch and he was the only man wearing long pants, the other 3 men wore shorts and were not asked to leave.

Archived