Best time to embark for a 5 o'clock sailing?

jpcdds6

We are sailing in a suite, but my kids are in two ocean views. What's the best time to arrive at the pier? Never mattered before because the concierge would let us board together. I was thinking around noon to miss the opening rush.

In my experience, generally speaking, if I want to be on board by noon-ish, I need to get there at 10:30.

Arriving between-11-12 seems to be the worst time for any ship, though I'm often in that 11 a.m. category (I like getting an early glimpse of my fellow passengers and being among the excitement). In my experience, if it's a small-mid size, after 12:00 you are pretty safe you can breeze through. With Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, the chaos seems to run into about 12:45/1:00 in my experience.

In my experience, generally speaking, if I want to be on board by noon-ish, I need to get there at 10:30.

Arriving between-11-12 seems to be the worst time for any ship, though I'm often in that 11 a.m. category (I like getting an early glimpse of my fellow passengers and being among the excitement). In my experience, if it's a small-mid size, after 12:00 you are pretty safe you can breeze through. With Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, the chaos seems to run into about 12:45/1:00 in my experience.

Ship arrives at 8. I would think noon would be about the earliest anyone would be able to board. I remember embarking about 1 for a 4pm sailing and the ship wasn't crowded at all. But, as I said earlier we just breezed through the suite line and had our lunch at Cagney's. What is the earliest you have been able to actually get on the ship?

Piggy-backing on the thread, has anyone had any experience with the "set" boarding times on BA? We're going to be cruising with an 18 mo old, so ideally we'd like to get on as early as possible to get him situated while also minimizing our wait time.

We selected 9:30-10am and we're curious as to how close to that time period we'd likely actually board. If it looks like we're going to have to stand/sit around for a while, we'll probably just change to a later (but less crowded) time.

Piggy-backing on the thread, has anyone had any experience with the "set" boarding times on BA? We're going to be cruising with an 18 mo old, so ideally we'd like to get on as early as possible to get him situated while also minimizing our wait time.

We selected 9:30-10am and we're curious as to how close to that time period we'd likely actually board. If it looks like we're going to have to stand/sit around for a while, we'll probably just change to a later (but less crowded) time.

most likely you will board between 1130 or 1200:)

I would not expect the ship to be ready anytime before noon, but i have never really tried to board any earlier than that previously.

QUOTE=Cauzneffct;47866452]Piggy-backing on the thread, has anyone had any experience with the "set" boarding times on BA? We're going to be cruising with an 18 mo old, so ideally we'd like to get on as early as possible to get him situated while also minimizing our wait time.

The time you are picking while checking in online is not boarding time, it is arrival time. Whether you arrive at 9 am or 11 you will not board much before 11:30-12. When in a suite we've boarded as early as 11 am, but not much earlier and general boarding is always sometime after that. If you don't want to wait in a large crowd, I suggest 1-2 pm, otherwise be prepared to wait and wait.

The time you are picking while checking in online is not boarding time, it is arrival time. Whether you arrive at 9 am or 11 you will not board much before 11:30-12. When in a suite we've boarded as early as 11 am, but not much earlier and general boarding is always sometime after that. If you don't want to wait in a large crowd, I suggest 1-2 pm, otherwise be prepared to wait and wait.

One follow up: if we do show up at 9:30, would we be able to check in, get some sort of number (or whatever) for boarding order, leave, and then come back to board around noon without having to wait in (as much of a) line? In other words, is there any real benefit to coming at 9:30 vs. 11:30?

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like a later time might be a better option for us.

Unless you'd like to board earlier, and head to the MDR, which would be open for embarkation day lunch. This would be a quieter atmosphere for feeding the baby, than the buffet. They would seat you, and you won't have to carry dishes or hunt for a vacant table.

Just my thought.

Unless you'd like to board earlier, and head to the MDR, which would be open for embarkation day lunch. This would be a quieter atmosphere for feeding the baby, than the buffet. They would seat you, and you won't have to carry dishes or hunt for a vacant table.

Just my thought.

Right. That's what we'd do ideally. We're just trying to find the sweet spot of early, but easy, boarding. If we need to wait around for an hour plus to board at noon, but can walk on pretty easily around 1, we'll probably do the latter. If we can show up early to reserve a "place in line," leave, come back, and skip the line, that might be the best solution.

Edited by Cauzneffct

• 3 months later...

Re-upping this oldish thread. I don't think I ever got an answer (or I forgot) to whether it's possible to check-in, leave the terminal, and come back before boarding or if, once you're in, you're in. We're checking in early and I'm curious if one of us can run out and grab breakfast for our group and bring it back to eat while waiting to board.

Thanks

Edited by Cauzneffct

Last year on the Epic, we got to the port at 11am, zero lines at security and check-in. Upstairs though, it was packed. We had Boarding Group #12, but it went really quickly. We didn't want to be lugging our carry-ons around the ship so planned to be on board close to 1pm with the rooms being ready shortly after that.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

Re-upping this oldish thread. I don't think I ever got an answer (or I forgot) to whether it's possible to check-in, leave the terminal, and come back before boarding or if, once you're in, you're in. We're checking in early and I'm curious if one of us can run out and grab breakfast for our group and bring it back to eat while waiting to board.

Thanks

For security reasons I do not think most terminals will allow you to do boarding activities and then come back. Florida terminals are pretty strict about exit/re-entry.

Thanks

I've seen people do this in NY. I don't believe there is much nearby for grabbing breakfast though.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend it, pick up breakfast on the way to the terminal to eat while waiting. DH had to leave terminal as stepson arrived with his mom after we were inside, DH had to meet stepson as his name wasn't on his moms reservation. It is nearly impossible to get out from the boarding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk