"Free" UBP & 2 rooms, 1 with 18 & 20 yro

sweetpee_1993

I tried a few searches to no avail. I'm not even entirely sure what key words to use. Here's the scenario:

We booked a balcony room b2b for our family of 4 on the Escape sailing next May. Since booking that, hubby & I squeezed in a Getaway sailing (first NCL) to check it all out. We did the group cabin crawl and now having seen the space we have decided sharing a balcony room with our 18 & 20 yro son's (at time of sailing) probably won't be a good kind of cozy. KWIM? ;)

So, hubby & I want to keep our slanted balcony and shift our boys to an inside room. Hubby & I want to ultimately keep our "free" UBP. We really enjoyed that on the Getaway. We went to the future cruise desk onboard to see about booking them a room. It was loud & chaotic in the atrium not lending to us understanding exactly what the lady was trying to explain. To book a room for our boys we'd have to move one of us to it so there's a 21+ yro person in each room? Then swap around the bodies once at the port to get the keys issued correctly? (Done that on Royal before.) But then she was saying whichever of us that was in the inside room won't be able to have the "free" UBP even after moving back to the balcony room? Is that right? So the promo attaches to the person, not the cabin?

Has anyone done anything like this successfully? How?

We bought 2 Cruise Next certificates that we'll apply however that works but, again, it was so loud it was really hard to hear the lady trying to explain it all. LOL!

I tried a few searches to no avail. I'm not even entirely sure what key words to use. Here's the scenario:

We booked a balcony room b2b for our family of 4 on the Escape sailing next May. Since booking that, hubby & I squeezed in a Getaway sailing (first NCL) to check it all out. We did the group cabin crawl and now having seen the space we have decided sharing a balcony room with our 18 & 20 yro son's (at time of sailing) probably won't be a good kind of cozy. KWIM? ;)

So, hubby & I want to keep our slanted balcony and shift our boys to an inside room. Hubby & I want to ultimately keep our "free" UBP. We really enjoyed that on the Getaway. We went to the future cruise desk onboard to see about booking them a room. It was loud & chaotic in the atrium not lending to us understanding exactly what the lady was trying to explain. To book a room for our boys we'd have to move one of us to it so there's a 21+ yro person in each room? Then swap around the bodies once at the port to get the keys issued correctly? (Done that on Royal before.) But then she was saying whichever of us that was in the inside room won't be able to have the "free" UBP even after moving back to the balcony room? Is that right? So the promo attaches to the person, not the cabin?

We bought 2 Cruise Next certificates that we'll apply however that works but, again, it was so loud it was really hard to hear the lady trying to explain it all. LOL!

Have you checked for sure with NCL that you have to split up your hubby and you? I have heard in other threads (never done it myself) that if the cabin is next you you can book just your children into it. Not sure if this counts for across the hall.

According to this, you should have them booked into a connecting room. Since connecting an inside to your existing room is physically impossible, you should contact NCL and discuss your situation with a representative. They may have a solution for you that will work out to the benefit of everyone and not cause you or your husband to lose the UBP.

Let us know the outcome!

According to this, you should have them booked into a connecting room. Since connecting an inside to your existing room is physically impossible, you should contact NCL and discuss your situation with a representative. They may have a solution for you that will work out to the benefit of everyone and not cause you or your husband to lose the UBP.

Let us know the outcome!

Yes, therein lies the problem. We wanted them in an inside w/us in a balcony. I'll see if my TA can get it worked out. If not, well, our son's graduation trip may just be to the keys or driving the California coast. ;)

We have booked 2 on the Dawn...We have a suite with our 4 young children and an inside directly across the hall for our 18 year old DD and her BF...No problems and neither adult needed to be listed on the inside room

UK get insides with UBP don't they?
Only for sailings up to 31 March 2016, and the OP is going in May. :( They may extend the promotion later on, but in the meantime, I would look into ways to avoid having split the parents up on the booking, because they both need to be in the balcony to get that sweet sweet unlimited free booze.

In earlier threads, people have reported that NCL's booking system does not accept a stateroom reservation if none of the guests is over 21, and moreover it does not know about the "connecting rooms" exception. So the only way the booking agents can do this is by giving the system a fake birthdate for one of the under-21s so that they appear to be over 21. The booking goes through, and shortly before the cruise the customer has to call and get them to put the real birthdate in so they can actually sail.

The people who talked about this made it sound like it was standard procedure, and some of them were able to book under-21s on their own even in non-connecting staterooms (for example, across the hallway from the parents).

Here is one of those threads:

Need Some Help from the Experienced

So I got in touch with my TA, explained the situation. She contacted NCL, said whe talked with a very knowledgable lady who understood exactly what we were wanting to do. My TA was told its not unusual at all. There's a work-around of some sort on the back end of the booking. Even though it currently appears that 3 of us have the soda package, it will get straight prior to sailing. Something about tricking the system for now but being able to tweek it on the back side. I'll trust what my TA said. She's really good with these details and always stands behind what she does even when it means an out of pocket for her to make things right. Even better, she was able to work with the NCL lady to find us an inside room about 8 doors down from our current balcony room that was available for both b2b sailings. Huge plus there! So yay! It worked out. Just need to get the right NCL rep to work with you (or your TA) to make it happen. :cool:

Hi! Glad it worked out!

This is js from dis :)

Once I got home from the Dream, it "hit" me that maybe you were the one that I met at the gym class and doing the 5K? Was that you? If so, I can't believe we have been on dis for years and possibly finally "got to meet".

Sorry if wasn't you LOL

Hi! Glad it worked out!

This is js from dis :)

Once I got home from the Dream, it "hit" me that maybe you were the one that I met at the gym class and doing the 5K? Was that you? If so, I can't believe we have been on dis for years and possibly finally "got to meet".

Sorry if wasn't you LOL

No apologies necessary!

Nope, not me. Likely one of our other ladies. I didn't do any gym time this go around. No running even if I wanted to. Which I wouldn't do the CC5k again unless they start docking & running before the sun is up. Did it my first time to CC in 2011. Never again. Too hot. Ruins me for the rest of the day. Then there's the plantar fasciitis I've had this summer. :(

I'm betting you met one of our other ladies. We had 17 onboard this year!

Aahhhh. Ok. Oh well. I think we were in Palo the night you were there. You guys in a private room and another table of four outside the room? I was taking a class in the gym with a redhead that knew my name and with a large group that had been sailing the last 2-3 years together. I got a shot for my plantat fascitis before the cruise and was doing ok and took it easy at my gym and my classes and stopped running for two weeks but when I ran at CC all went down the tube. Couldnt walk and so much pain but starting to heel again. Maybe I met one of your friends? I was also next door to someone that was very upset her friends were all suppose to meet in her cabin one morning I think in Nassau and went on and on and wheN I came out of my cabin asked if they could keep it a little down since my mom was still sleeping. Was ghat you guys too? Lol

I was told by NCL and my PCC that I could not book my daughter 19 and son 15 in an inside even across from us. We are a family of 8 so even though we have a 2 bedroom suite, we are maxed out at 6 with the littles.

So for now I have booked my parents on the cruise with us although they don't want to go and I really do not want to spend the extra $1300 for the two of them to be miserable.

If you know a work around, whether it is change the DOB right before sailing, let me know.

If you know a work around, whether it is change the DOB right before sailing, let me know.

Read the thread I linked to above, and ask your PCC explicitly about the DOB trick. If they still won't do it, you can try calling the general NCL reservations line and talk to a random agent and see what they say.

I guess they are really under no obligation to accommodate you, given what the official policy is, but since quite a few people have reported being able to do exactly what you want to do, I think it's worth the effort to keep insisting.

Read the thread I linked to above, and ask your PCC explicitly about the DOB trick. If they still won't do it, you can try calling the general NCL reservations line and talk to a random agent and see what they say.

I guess they are really under no obligation to accommodate you, given what the official policy is, but since quite a few people have reported being able to do exactly what you want to do, I think it's worth the effort to keep insisting.

I did read the thread and I had hoped there would have been an update posted. I understand their policy but there are always special situations. We are maxed out in our 2 bd Penthouse Suite and I'm not booking the adjoining suite at $3000 for 2 people. We only splurged on that particular suite because we are getting married on this cruise and we got a killer deal at under $5000 for all 6 of us plus OBC, UDP, UBP and prepaid grats.

I'm going on the Getaway next month and will look into booking while on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am having the same issue. I was told that if the inside cabin is directly across from your cabin it would be ok to have the kids in a cabin alone. I don't think you have to an adult in a cabin with a 20 & 18 year old. I also spoke with an ncl rep who said that it is not uncommon for minors or under21 to travel without parents (usually 17-20)year olds who go with friends families and there is a waiver that you need to fill out to have the minors in their own cabin.

I'm sailing February, 14

I also spoke with an ncl rep who said that it is not uncommon for minors or under21 to travel without parents (usually 17-20)year olds who go with friends families and there is a waiver that you need to fill out to have the minors in their own cabin.

Never heard of anything like that or seen anything mentioned in any of the TC& or contract.

I think that the rep you spoke to has confused the general permission to take underaged kids to a cruise without their guardians with the age limits onboard - if they allowed such waivers for underaged kids to be in a cabin without an adult, nobody would be having these issues.

Edited by Demonyte