Bernard's Tour from Allure/Oasis

LuCruise

With 7 people you may want to see about a private tour with them that lets you set the agenda. I took the public tour in 2011, when I went back in 2013 they had shortened the time at Orient beach and added an "Iguana farm" or something like that. This wasn't to my liking, but it wouldn't defer me from saying they run a good business. In 2013 people from our cruise got their own tour and loved it.

Maybe best idea would be a van to and from the beach. Kids wouldn't be interested in sitting in a bus sightseeing they would prefer beach activites. My DH and I have been to st martin multiple times.

txs

Based on all the great reviews/recommendations here on CC, we used Bernards Tours for a St. Marten tour on our cruise in 2013. We did the Island Tour II and it was a great experience. We actually booked with them again the following year, but unfortunately our ship was re-routed completely, so I had to cancel. Cancelling was not big deal either, they gave me a full refund no questions asked.

I'd definitely recommend them and the island tour. It's a nice taste of everything on the island.

As part of our tour we went to Orient Beach, so you can definitely get some beach time. I wouldn't worry about the Orient Beach with kids (we brought our 10 year old daughter), it's not that big a deal, but I guess that all depends on how easily offended you are. If you're easily offended by 60+ yo men and women dressed in interesting bathing suits, than I suppose it's not for you. Is it really that much different than any other beach though? Not in my experience.

My last time with Bernard's, and we had Bernard himself, a roughly 80 year old man with a cane, and nothing more, strolled right past us at the turtle pace of an 80 year old with a cane. Even Bernard said "Come on mannnn. Nobody wants to see that." LOL I've been to Orient 3 other times and each time, the nudies crossed the rock line and strolled the clothing required beach. Not a big deal to me, but I wouldn't take kids there myself.

It's just me and my wife going to St. Marteen in March. Really not sure which tour to take. We like beach time, but want to get the most out of our time on the island. Can you recommend which tour is best? Or should I try to team up with other people on the ship for a private tour?

If you know the other people, that's an idea but otherwise, you need to tell the tour driver what you want to see so you'd all have to be on the same page.

I took the tour that stopped at Orient and Maho along with all the other stops and thought it was perfect. I think it gave us 90 minutes at Orient which was decent and you see so much on the overall tour that I felt like I had a really complete experience on SM. The only place I felt was rushed was Marigot because with the tour that goes to the beach, you only get 30 minutes there and it takes that long to go in, wait in line and get out of the French Serafina's Bakery.

My last time with Bernard's, and we had Bernard himself, a roughly 80 year old man with a cane, and nothing more, strolled right past us at the turtle pace of an 80 year old with a cane. Even Bernard said "Come on mannnn. Nobody wants to see that." LOL I've been to Orient 3 other times and each time, the nudies crossed the rock line and strolled the clothing required beach. Not a big deal to me, but I wouldn't take kids there myself.

This is my one delima with the tour (i.e. the main downside). People have said that there is a non-nude area we can go to avoid seeing people sans clothes, but sounds like from your post it doesn't matter? People rave about his tour and it's a good way to do many things including Maho and a beach for swimming.

This is my one delima with the tour (i.e. the main downside). People have said that there is a non-nude area we can go to avoid seeing people sans clothes, but sounds like from your post it doesn't matter? People rave about his tour and it's a good way to do many things including Maho and a beach for swimming.

Oh I ABSOLUTELY endorse Bernards as the best, and cheapest, way to see the whole island and a beach. I have no hesitation about saying he's the best.

Put it this way, if I were going to St Maarten with kids, I'd ask the driver to drop us in the area LEAST likely to have anybody nude because they can say there's a line etc but they have to know not everyone obeys that line and it's not like there is someone patrolling telling them to go back to Nudeville.

I read a few posts into this thread that there is a section far off to either the right or left where it is less likely to occur. I'm sure the driver will accommodate you.

Also, Bernard himself responds to emails. You could always shoot one off to him and ask if this far right or far left section exists.

But the nudies most definitely DO cross over. Now, I don't know if we were simply located very close to the "line' (which is really a boulder or some such thing) and a few just so happened to stroll on by or get lost or what, but I've been on the clothing side each time and each time, I saw things I can not unsee. We were actually in the van leaving the parking lot when the 80 year old nudie crossed our path so I really would email Bernard and ask him if there is a section where he can guarantee the nudists won't be. He knows the island inside and out and he will answer you honestly especially where you have kids in tow.

Edited by purpletequila

Oh I ABSOLUTELY endorse Bernards as the best, and cheapest, way to see the whole island and a beach. I have no hesitation about saying he's the best.

Put it this way, if I were going to St Maarten with kids, I'd ask the driver to drop us in the area LEAST likely to have anybody nude because they can say there's a line etc but they have to know not everyone obeys that line and it's not like there is someone patrolling telling them to go back to Nudeville.

I read a few posts into this thread that there is a section far off to either the right or left where it is less likely to occur. I'm sure the driver will accommodate you.

Also, Bernard himself responds to emails. You could always shoot one off to him and ask if this far right or far left section exists.

But the nudies most definitely DO cross over. Now, I don't know if we were simply located very close to the "line' (which is really a boulder or some such thing) and a few just so happened to stroll on by or get lost or what, but I've been on the clothing side each time and each time, I saw things I can not unsee. We were actually in the van leaving the parking lot when the 80 year old nudie crossed our path so I really would email Bernard and ask him if there is a section where he can guarantee the nudists won't be. He knows the island inside and out and he will answer you honestly especially where you have kids in tow.

Have been to a beach near orient with my grandchildren age 10 and 12 they saw some nude people walking by. Initially they reacted by giggling, then could care less. Not a big deal if you explain it them that people view things and behave differently all over the world. We didn't make a big deal about it nor did they.

Thanks. If we go with Bernard, then I'll definitely email him. Although...I might be nervous if we are the only ones being dropped off at spot A while everyone else is dropped off at spot B. Hope we wouldn't get forgotten. :rolleyes:

But yeah...thanks for letting me know I can email him. Will do for sure if we decide on the tour.

Anyone on the Allure / Oasis who has done Bernard's Tour (i.e. ship docs from 8am - 5pm in St Maarten). If so, is the timing ok? I've heard such great things about St Bernard's Tour, but I'm a little hesitant since it's not an excursion through RCL....so what if the tour runs late in traffic for example and doesn't get us back in time. Anyone had close timing where they were nervous? Or is there really nothing to worry about.

PS - Would also love to hear any feedback if anyone has done this tour with kids 11 and younger. Did they find it interesting or boring?

We were on Allure March/April 2015 and did Bernard's Tour, going back on Allure this Sunday 11/8 sailing and doing Bernard's Tour again. We used Bernard's tour just last week on Liberty of the Seas. We have never had close timing with them and we were back to the port in plenty of time to sit and relaxing and enjoy a coconut smoothie. We usually arrive back to the port from Bernard's tour, approx. 2 hrs before ship's departure, have no fear of missing the ship, you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise on Allure, she is a beauty and she'll wow you :)

We're cruising on the Allure in January and are looking for excursions. I tried Googling Bernard's Tours and didn't have any luck. Last time we were there we rented scooters and toured on our own with our sons. This time, we're with an older group and looking for something to do. Thanks for your help. :)

theflowersmith,

Try the St. Maarten destination page on Tripadvisor for "Things To Do" and under "Tours and Activities" you will find reviews of Bernard's Tours and a link to their web site.

You will also find a whole bunch of other things to do in St. Maarten if you are interested.

You can also check the roll call for your cruise to see if anyone has posted what excursions they will be going on, their comments and web sites.

NAGooner