Cost of visas onboard

Balloon Man

As the OP I would like to broaden my original question. Can anybody explain how a cruise line can obtain visas for their passengers when they are on the ship?

Here I'm ignoring specific countries. The question relates only to those countries where Oceania says you can obtain your visa when on their vessel.

As the OP I would like to broaden my original question. Can anybody explain how a cruise line can obtain visas for their passengers when they are on the ship?

Here I'm ignoring specific countries. The question relates only to those countries where Oceania says you can obtain your visa when on their vessel.

When the local officials come onboard to clear the ship, they stamp the individual passports (or the ship's manifest) for visas/permission to enter the country (for a fee, of course, and a nice free meal :D).

That is what I think.

Edited by Paulchili

Hopefully some will have an answer the only experience I have had with VISAs is Russia

It allows the cruise line to have a group or blanket VISA for those that are doing excursions with the cruise line

not sure how it works in other Countries

Hopefully some will have an answer the only experience I have had with VISAs is Russia

It allows the cruise line to have a group or blanket VISA for those that are doing excursions with the cruise line

not sure how it works in other Countries

Thank you. We were in St. Petersburg earlier this year, though with Silversea, and you didn't need to obtain visas if you were on a ship tour or one by an authorised agency. In either case there was no cost.

Next month we will be in Tanzania and Mozambique with Oceania and both countries suggest visas are available on entry, but Oceania says that if we board without visas they will charge us a premium price for obtaining them. But surely they can only obtain them when we reach port! As can we!!

Thank you. We were in St. Petersburg earlier this year, though with Silversea, and you didn't need to obtain visas if you were on a ship tour or one by an authorised agency. In either case there was no cost.

Next month we will be in Tanzania and Mozambique with Oceania and both countries suggest visas are available on entry, but Oceania says that if we board without visas they will charge us a premium price for obtaining them. But surely they can only obtain them when we reach port! As can we!!

We, too, have always gotten our visas on our own except for two occasions when Oceania gave us Turkish visas gratis as a perk. But don't forget that there are always people who would prefer to have the cruise line do it for them ... and if they are willing to pay extra, that's their choice. For me, if the line will charge approximately what I'd have to pay on my own, I'll let them do it. But how often does that happen?!

Mura