Sorry, ANOTHER insurance question

Taylor523

Thinking about getting insurance for December cruise for me and my bf, no medical issues, no kids. Today is final payment day. Does insurance purchased outside of carnival have to be purchased by today? Looking for a basic plan. Driving into port the morning off, about two hours away. Suggestions?!? Thanks!

It doesn't have to be purchased by today, but keep in mind that anything that happens before you purchase the policy will not be covered. For example, an accident, illness or death of an immediate family member, etc. In other words, if something happens that prevents you from going on the cruise, you can't purchase an insurance policy and collect on it if you purchased it AFTER the fact.

Edited by Tapi

Too late for preexisting waiver but doesn't sound like you would need that anyway. I would suggest looking at a site like insuremytrip where you can compare a multitude of different policies. That way you can pick just the things that are important to you.

When we took Mom this summer, we were OK if the cruise didn't happen. We would have just been out the money but we were very concerned about medical. Especially if she need to be air lifted off the ship or flown home on a med flight from Mexico. We were able to purchase a policy just to cover her for the previous mentioned for about $50. Didn't need it but it sure did give us some peace of mind.

What is the "pre existing" waiver? We are taking a trip with extended family next year and my sister has some health conditions. We only planned to use the standard insurance through carnival after noting that it does provide some coverage of medical costs incurred on the trip. Should I be concerned that if she has health problems that arise before our trip that cause her to cancel that she could be denied due to a pre existing condition?

Thanks!

I would NEVER book insurance with the cruise line. That was advice given to me by an insurance agent who did not have a dog in the fight. Just some good advice from him. Go to insuremyrtip dot c.. You'll be able to compare lots of providers.

What is the "pre existing" waiver? We are taking a trip with extended family next year and my sister has some health conditions. We only planned to use the standard insurance through carnival after noting that it does provide some coverage of medical costs incurred on the trip. Should I be concerned that if she has health problems that arise before our trip that cause her to cancel that she could be denied due to a pre-existing condition?

Thanks!

You really need to look at each policy to determine what their waiver of preexisting conditions is. In most cases it requires purchasing the policy within x days of initial trip payment. Usually 14 or 21 days. But it can vary. A few companies will cover preexisting conditions if you purchase prior to final payment.

As to your last question, yes. If you buy a policy that does not cover preexisting conditions and have to cancel, they may not cover it if it was cancelled because of the pre-existing condition. Also, if you need to have medical care while abroad, they may not cover that either if it is related to the pre-existing condition.

Wow, so glad I came across this thread. Thanks for the information. I went back to read the fine print in Carnivals policy and I am still not sure they couldn't try to deny her coverage. Of course the insurance is a good idea for us all but she is the one we primarily worry about needing medical care out of the country. She is stable and we certainly wouldn't have her go if we were worried but still something we need to consider. We will be looking into other policies.

Please contact a travel insurance broker such as

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, and do it today.

Some of the information above is not accurate (as in, too limited).

There is at least one policy type (actually two, but the second is tricky and/or expensive) that can be purchased within 24 hours of final payment (two possible definitions, depending upon trip type) such that pre-existing conditions are NOT excluded.

If coverage for medical care related to pre-existing conditions is not a concern, then there is more flexibility in terms of policies.

GeezerCouple

So here is my question for the OP to ponder? You say you have medical insurance. You are only a 2 hour drive from the port. So why do you need any trip insurance? Just because there is an entire industry trying to convince you that you really "need" to buy trip insurance does not make it so :). DW and I have been traveling all of our lives and will generally cruise over 70 days a year. While we do have a separate annual travel medical policy (we are seniors and need medical insurance for traveling outside the US) we have never bought so-called Trip Insurance. In the unlikely event that we have to cancel a cruise at the last minute (this has never happened on over 100 cruises) we would simply eat the cost. But by not buying trip insurance we are already ahead of the game by probably 6 figures (all the money we have saved by not buying trip insurance).

I spent a life time working in the Medical Insurance industry and have some understanding of the dynamics behind marketing insurance. Folks need to stop reading all the ads and start looking at your own situation. Rather then buying a well marketed product (which generates a hefty profit) because it is there.....one should look at their own particular needs, weigh those needs against the potential risk, and then look for a product that meets those needs if you even need a product.

Edited by Hlitner