Hurricane Joaquin - Carnival Fantasy

BLP711

Hi folks-

We were on Fascination as well - we had consistent swells after leaving Freeport on Wednesday afternoon. Captain definitely hauled north, and we had lots of cloud and a few sprinkles for company, but not much in the way of breeze.

With the position of the swell and wind, it was mostly a forward/aft motion. Awesome for sleeping, not so much for walking. ;)

Unfortunately, there were some folks that were not enjoying the ship motion the way we were. The ship shops were apparently doing a good trade in seasickness meds.

Hopefully, folks this weekend will enjoy their trips.

Wendy

We're supposed to be leaving Tuesday from Charleston on the Fantasy. My concern is flooding. I don't know how we're going to get to port if Charleston is flooded!!

Agree! The big thing is the flooding and getting to the ship.

By Tuesday you should be find ... hopefully. :)

Any update on the Fascination? They left Jacksonville today. Interested to hear how rocky their ride is!

A good friend of mine boarded Fascination yesterday (Thursday). She posted a short video on Facebook from their stateroom late last evening and they were rocking pretty darn good! Her boyfriend is experiencing some pretty good seasickness! She is doing ok, but stated its been an "interesting" trip so far. The whole video was her rocking back and forth and back and forth.

While some people may have difficulty getting to ports this w/e, the bigger issue will be wave heights at sea. Waves have little friction to slow them down, and can travel many many miles from their source.

Certainly ships at sea are safer than being in ports during a storm, but their passengers may wish they stayed on dry land. Wave heights still expected 30+ feet.

We're supposed to be leaving Tuesday from Charleston on the Fantasy. My concern is flooding. I don't know how we're going to get to port if Charleston is flooded!! Then there's another storm brewing about 700 miles east of the Bahamas. This is my first cruise, I'm kind of freaking out. I also feel like a jerk even going on vacation to a place that is getting beaten up by this storm. If there is any itinerary change and I'm given the opportunity to cancel, I plan on it. I feel so stupid for not getting the insurance!!

Relax, Tuesday is supposed to be sunny and about 75deg. You won't have any issues getting to the port. If the Bahamas port is unusable they will just send you to another port instead, no reason to "freak out". Just take deep breath and get ready for your vacation next week.

We're supposed to be leaving Tuesday from Charleston on the Fantasy. Then there's another storm brewing about 700 miles east of the Bahamas. /quote]

The initial track for that potential storm is north/north east, away from the Bahamas. Low probability for TS development at present. It should get picked up into the same weather system moving Joaquin to the east away from the coast.

You may see some residual wave effects from Joaquin leaving port but the further south you go the smoother seas should be.

I also feel like a jerk even going on vacation to a place that is getting beaten up by this storm.

If the port is open, the people will appreciate your business. This is how they make a living, and if visitors stopped coming times would be even harder. (This is why the people of Cozumel busted their asses to get the island ready for tourists again so soon after Wilma hit them. And Wilma hit them HARD. They still talk about their recovery effort and how soon they were able to receive cruise ships.)

Edited by skittl1321

Today, Friday, is the second day in a row showing NO cruise ships in Nassau on the webcam located there. In fact I never knew that Atlantis lies in a direct line behind where they dock.

We got off of the Fantasy yesterday. I don't think I have ever been so happy to get on dry land in my life! From the time we left Nassau on Tuesday until we docked yesterday morning the boat rocked like I have never see before. 8 foot seas, white caps, the wind blowing=people getting sick, especially the kids. It got so bad that I couldn't walk without holding on to something...and I wasn't drinking!!! Today my legs, ankles and feet arches are killing be from trying to keep myself balanced!!! Reminder to self......never cruise during hurricane season again!!! :eek:

Today, Friday, is the second day in a row showing NO cruise ships in Nassau on the webcam located there. In fact I never knew that Atlantis lies in a direct line behind where they dock.

They just tied up Fascination there. On Key Wet cam, Fantasy is here. Water a bit rough and windy at both ports.

k

We just got back this am on the valor, we cancelled Grand Turk on Thursday, had back to back seadays Thursday and Friday, Thursday evening we skipped dinner, was real rough seas, we hugged Cuba in the channel between Bahamas and Cuba, for 2 days, hugged the coast from Miami to Canaveral, they did a real good job, at one time we were only 100 miles from the storm ...

All in all they did a good job, but we were surprised they didn't stay on west side of Cuba, when we left San Juan, cause we sorta cruised real slow and sorta just hanging out at the tip of Cuba, ... guess the escape route would have been west from there between Miami and Cuba lol :)