Parking at Red Hook/ Brooklyn with approaching storm---safe???

birdiebill

Is it safe to park at Red Hook with the approaching storm? If not, where should we consider parking? We are totally unfamiliar with New York/Brooklyn area. We are considering cancelling cruise. We do not want our car damaged.

Edited by birdiebill
Mis spelled word.

I'm sure by now, you've rechecked the latest storm forecast and hopefully didn't cancel your trip/vacation - NY area is getting hammered this afternoon with Nor-Easter like conditions with rain & wind but by Sunday, the threat of a major hurricane for our area should be behind us ... it's forecasted to turn east & out to sea by early next week.

Sea conditions will be rough but you are heading north to New England & Canada so it should not be too bad, just hang on to those railings along the corridors & when walking the stairs on your ship.

There is no warning for major storm surge, tidal waves or urban flash flooding, etc. for this weekend into next week, which - should, IMO - make it safe to park & leave your car at the Red Hook pier on the waterfront in Brooklyn as planned & most folks do.

You can always park further "in-land" away from NYC's evacuation zones and take transportation to/from Red Hook, but the costs will add on - not warranted at this moment from the data. I would not offer this advice 12 to 24 hours ago but it's dynamic and looking far better.

Relax & you have a long drive, very - very long drive into NY from Indiana, so take it easy & enjoy the cruise.

I can only comment on what has happened in the past. Super Storm Sandy any car left was destroyed. Cars were all totally submerged and the tide moved the cars around the lot. Co-Worker didn't get the car back for weeks, I didn't park there.

Of course the entire Brooklyn port was destroyed and closed for months even the Manhattan pier was unusable but we returned to Manhattan and disembarked from Deck 0 where you would at a port of call. The crew formed human chain to move the bags.

Caribbean Princess 10/2012

That said, shouldn't be an issue with this storm.

FWIW

I can only comment on what has happened in the past. Super Storm Sandy any car left was destroyed. Cars were all totally submerged and the tide moved the cars around the lot. Co-Worker didn't get the car back for weeks, I didn't park there.

Of course the entire Brooklyn port was destroyed and closed for months even the Manhattan pier was unusable but we returned to Manhattan and disembarked from Deck 0 where you would at a port of call. The crew formed human chain to move the bags.

Caribbean Princess 10/2012

That said, shouldn't be an issue with this storm.

FWIW

I'd go as far as to say that Hurricane Sandy was unique. Not all storms or even hurricanes wreak that kind of havoc on New York.

Certainly you're safe this week.