Tiles

jtl513

I'm new to HAL so please explain what these beautiful tiles are, where they can be found, and how much are they? Are these tiles like those you could use to make a backsplash or tile a wall?

Yes they could be used as a backsplash. I have quite a few of them and keep saying I am going to have a small patio table made so I can use the tiles as a table top. Somehow I never get around to it.

In the meantime, we each use one as a bedside coaster for our morning coffee cups.

• 2 months later...
Yes they could be used as a backsplash. I have quite a few of them and keep saying I am going to have a small patio table made so I can use the tiles as a table top. Somehow I never get around to it.

In the meantime, we each use one as a bedside coaster for our morning coffee cups.

My parents used their tiles as a backsplash in their most recent bathroom remodel.

But if you plan to use them as backsplash tiles, be aware that you have to peel off the cork backing, and that some of the times are thinner than others, and lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the HAL tiles are not standard tile sizes. You will have to adjust your layout accordingly and may end up with little slivers of other tiles around them to keep the spacing and pattern consistent.

I has a sad!

Have sailed the Statedam (twice although the first time was before the new Mariner figuring), with my mom joining us on the second time (2009). In 2014 we took her around Cape Horn on the Zaandam. Now, even disallowing my DH's and my first trip on Statendam -- we all were Star Mariners on the Zaandam. No invite to Mariners' lunch or brunch, no tile, no pic of the ship. Then last April DH and I did the TransAtlantic on the N.A. and DID get invited to the Indonesian brunch-lunch, without even realizing it was a Mariner thing (NOT MADE CLEAR IN INVITE). And then no tile or photo of ship.

Expecting people to know to ask at the Front Desk is disingenuous.

I has a sad!

Have sailed the Statedam (twice although the first time was before the new Mariner figuring), with my mom joining us on the second time (2009). In 2014 we took her around Cape Horn on the Zaandam. Now, even disallowing my DH's and my first trip on Statendam -- we all were Star Mariners on the Zaandam. No invite to Mariners' lunch or brunch, no tile, no pic of the ship. Then last April DH and I did the TransAtlantic on the N.A. and DID get invited to the Indonesian brunch-lunch, without even realizing it was a Mariner thing (NOT MADE CLEAR IN INVITE). And then no tile or photo of ship.

Expecting people to know to ask at the Front Desk is disingenuous.

The Indonesian lunch is not the normal Mariner's brunch/lunch where you get the tiles.

Sounds like your cruise had an extra special lunch. We have had that lunch as part of a Collector's cruise.

Back to the topic of this thread: other than the cases mentioned in posts #3 and #4, no one has received any 2014-2015 series tiles?

I got the new series on the Prinsendam in September. I'm at work, it's at home or I'd post a picture for you

We quit going to the Mariner's Brunch and I always go to the front desk and ask and they give them to me right then.

We will be boarding the Westerdam this Saturday and I will come back and post which tile we receive.

We haven't gone to the Mariner's brunch/lunch in a few years either.

We just ask our concierges to get us the tiles.

... how much are they? ...

JTL ...You can't purchase them ...

RocketMan, you can purchase HAL tiles (and most anything else you might want or need) on eBay. In fact, I know several folks who have found tiles to supplement or complete their collections by searching eBay.

And then no tile or photo of ship.
Email the Mariner Society and they'll send some tiles, although not likely the ones that you should have gotten on the ship.

I got the new series on the Prinsendam in September. I'm at work, it's at home or I'd post a picture for you
No need, but thanks for offering. The point of my starting this thread back in Oct was that I was wondering what we'd get on the Eurodam in November. We got the new series, and it turns out they are more to my liking than the one I showed in post #1, with the low contrast. They are higher contrast like the old series and have much more white sky.

Edited by jtl513

RocketMan, you can purchase HAL tiles (and most anything else you might want or need) on eBay. In fact, I know several folks who have found tiles to supplement or complete their collections by searching eBay.

There are two tegels/tiles in the collection just about impossible to obtain (incl. on eBay) - Don't know what the story is behind that :confused:

Westerdam.jpg

Ryndam.jpg

OK Karen,

Here is the full set of 2015 tiles.

Just because you are favourite person on CC... :)

Here are the original paintings that were made into the tiles. One started in full colour an a second in half tone. Then my work ends... and then the factory talks over on the rest of the work.

The images from the tiles are based on the original large HAL paintings. This was a problem because there is only one HAL large painting to use for the times. So.... I did a sepecial watercolour just to use for the new tile.

The first image/// showing of the six tiles.... do not show the correct colours. I believe they were printed out differently.

Stephen

836385074_2015MARINERTILESimage004.jpg.b25941891a1a2d66aeed9fc0a124afb4.jpg

92528046_MARINERTILE2013PRINSENDAMBLACKGREY.jpg.d9c13f4f586b84f27fbba624fe3500e6.jpg

498861657_MARINERTILE2013PRINSENDAMCOLOUR.jpg.7c285e276de66515d42a483214405a2d.jpg