Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

Although I am an overpacker, I have gotten better over the years. One big mistake was the extension cord for DH's C-Pap machine. The most annoying to me had to be when I packed our bags and sent them for departure the night before disembarkation and packed all of my socks and sandals. It might be a little strange, but I can't deal with sneakers and no socks, especially in hot weather and we would be traveling all day (Fl to Boston). I was able to buy 2 pr in the gift shop, but paid WAY more than I ever would for socks! Only upside is every time I grab those socks now and see Mickey or Minnie, I'm reminded of a great family vacation!

The last cruise we took our daughters on I told my 9 year old to be sure she packs her tennis shoes, her flip flops and her boots (these are her dress shoes) ... Needless to say she was wearing her flip flops and left all the rest sitting on the couch - 2 days in I was sent a text message that I needed to bring my daughter new shoes cause hers broke so I ran downstairs spent $22 on shoes (lucky me they were on sale) - ran upstairs they were to tight - Ok so I took them ran back down stairs exchanged for next size up and ran back upstairs and AGAIN they were to tight - this time she came with me and the next size up of course fit her .... I was like I don't understand why she had to buy 3 sizes up to fit her feet but ok .... Then of course we needed to buy shoes she could wear by the pool so there went another $40 buying crocs on the boat

Same trip while we were at the beach I went to change my clothes in the bathroom and we walked off without my shoes by the time we realized it the shoes were gone

It's not over yet folks .... SAME TRIP .... I kid you not my husband left his shoes in the spa and by the time he went back someone had taken them

Needless to say shoes are our top priority now making sure we have extras and keep our shoes with us at all times

The last cruise we took our daughters on I told my 9 year old to be sure she packs her tennis shoes, her flip flops and her boots (these are her dress shoes) ... Needless to say she was wearing her flip flops and left all the rest sitting on the couch - 2 days in I was sent a text message that I needed to bring my daughter new shoes cause hers broke so I ran downstairs spent $22 on shoes (lucky me they were on sale) - ran upstairs they were to tight - Ok so I took them ran back down stairs exchanged for next size up and ran back upstairs and AGAIN they were to tight - this time she came with me and the next size up of course fit her .... I was like I don't understand why she had to buy 3 sizes up to fit her feet but ok .... Then of course we needed to buy shoes she could wear by the pool so there went another $40 buying crocs on the boat

Same trip while we were at the beach I went to change my clothes in the bathroom and we walked off without my shoes by the time we realized it the shoes were gone

It's not over yet folks .... SAME TRIP .... I kid you not my husband left his shoes in the spa and by the time he went back someone had taken them

Needless to say shoes are our top priority now making sure we have extras and keep our shoes with us at all times

This reads like a nightmare for me :) I'm 6'2" and female, and if I needed to buy shoes on the ship, I'd be outta luck trying to find my size 12's, but could likely find men's 11 flip flops. One of my kids has size 17 feet, and we'd be in even more trouble there. He'd be wearing his winter boots on our cruise!

I am an overpacked. I have narrowed it down to one carry on and one very full checked. On the way home from a cruise, my suitcase was over the limit. My husband helped distribute everything into other bags. However, our bag was detained and security wanted to search it. They were very stern. I am thinking it's all dirty clothes what can the big deal be. They searched it and found a ziplock bag of white sand from Aruba. Guess they thought it was cocaine. Lesson learned: Do not put bagged sand in a carryon.

Packing anything in GLASS (fragile) bottles wrap it in a bath towel and then

put it in a zip lock type bag and then put that inside another zip lock bag

top being at the bottom. Should be able handle most anything as long as the

glass does not penetrate both layers of the zip lock. The towel will be like a

diaper absorbing the fluid.

Never ever pack 2 or more glass bottles together a disaster waiting to happen

even with towels and cardboard dividers.

Those dock workers with their forklift trucks sometimes miss their mark and

score with a penetration drill of soft as well as hard sided suitcases.

You will not find forklift trucks around airplanes - that airplane skin can be

sliced open like a hot knife to butter. Packing of the bottles well wrapped

and separated works for airline checked baggage.

I am an overpacked. I have narrowed it down to one carry on and one very full checked. On the way home from a cruise, my suitcase was over the limit. My husband helped distribute everything into other bags. However, our bag was detained and security wanted to search it. They were very stern. I am thinking it's all dirty clothes what can the big deal be. They searched it and found a ziplock bag of white sand from Aruba. Guess they thought it was cocaine. Lesson learned: Do not put bagged sand in a carryon.

lol. We collect sand from all the beaches we visit and put them in anchor jars with candles. Our cruise to Hawaii I collected some sand and put it in my backpack purse. It was still in there by the time we hit Ensenada. I get off the ship and we are lined up to get on the bus for our tour. All of a sudden the dog points on me. They ask to check my backpack. I completely forgot the sand was in there.

Two lessons learned here - make sure you empty your purse before you head out on vacation. Secondly, don't use your purse you take on vacation as a lunch box. I'd been dieting for weeks before our cruise, but trying trying to at least eat regularly. So I was constantly throwing granola bars, carrots or apples in my backpack purse before heading out for the day. I honestly think it was the remnants of the food smell the dog got a whiff of.

By the way, all of the "bust" was captured on film by a fellow AZ CC member who happened to be on their balcony and caught the action.