Discovered our cruise may be cancelled

Spideysmum

I'm currently in Europe and won't be home for another week and was just browsing the HAL roll call. Someone mentioned that the Maasdam sailing of August 15 was to be chartered and someone else received a cancellation notice.

Okay. My husband booked the cruise and his email was the contact. Usually I'm the organizer of travel as I'm obsessive about communication. So.p we've checked his emails and spam file and nothing pops out. I know we went through our airline company to book (and I had mr wrist slapped for mentioning the name in a prior post) so I emailed them this morning

My question is if this is true and someone mentioned that good staterooms on other sailings may not be available (we booked a verandah suite full price) what are the chances that we could get full refunds? I really want to see Alaska from a balcony (and no we do NOT smoke ). HAL's website no longer shows the sail date. Someone said it may be chartered by Garrison Kellior which would be definitely not our thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm currently in Europe and won't be home for another week and was just browsing the HAL roll call. Someone mentioned that the Maasdam sailing of August 15 was to be chartered and someone else received a cancellation notice.

Okay. My husband booked the cruise and his email was the contact. Usually I'm the organizer of travel as I'm obsessive about communication. So.p we've checked his emails and spam file and nothing pops out. I know we went through our airline company to book (and I had mr wrist slapped for mentioning the name in a prior post) so I emailed them this morning

My question is if this is true and someone mentioned that good staterooms on other sailings may not be available (we booked a verandah suite full price) what are the chances that we could get full refunds? I really want to see Alaska from a balcony (and no we do NOT smoke ). HAL's website no longer shows the sail date. Someone said it may be chartered by Garrison Kellior which would be definitely not our thing.

If the ship is chartered your cruise will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund and HAL will most likely offer some OBC to make up for it IF you book within a certain time frame.

It may be why there is no email yet. They may be doing the offers up.

If it's a group, then your cruise will not be cancelled.

Hope this helps.

Since you did not book directly with HAL, if your cruise is indeed a full charter, HAL will contact your TA.

If it is just a small group booking, then your TA will not get anything from HAL as other people can still book your cruise date.

You will just have to wait and keep in contact with your TA.

If it is a full charter, you will get back your deposit without penalty. And you will be given a choice of other dates for the same ship or for another ship. And maybe you will get some shipboard credit. You are given only a certain amount of time to respond to any offers HAL gives.

OMG - your cruise has definitely been chartered. Just went to the Prairie Home Companion website and tickets go on sale October 20th.

Sorry for you but this is great news if we decide to go. We went on his Charter to Alaska in 2006 and it was FABULOUS (not everyone's thing) but the entertainment was fantastic. Cruising with PHC is very expensive and we already have the Koningsdam cruise booked for 11/16 so not sure we can do it but boy would we love to!

Definitely a full charter. I did a search for Maasdam for next August and the 15th didn't come up as an option.

I've noticed quite a few threads like this lately. I get it, for HAL it's great for business. But bump enough people and you get bad word of mouth. If you didn't book your air with them (and I seldom do), you could be screwed out of your airfare. (Do most travel insurance policies cover that kind of loss if the cruise line cancels your trip?)

I think booking groups and charters on Koningsdam so early in her career is a bad move. There are a lot of people who try new ships, regardless of the line. This is a chance for HAL to maybe convert some people, and they shouldn't be reducing those opportunities to make friends.

The term "full charter" is redundant. If it's a charter (which this is) then all bookings go through the group chartering, no "outside" passengers are allowed.

If you are able to book with HAL or a TA, then you may be looking at a GROUP cruise. The group may be small (10 to 20 cabins) or large (50% or more of the ship).

If a cruise you've booked becomes a charter, you're money will be refunded. If, on the other hand, a large group decides to go on your cruise you won't be notified nor given the chance to change nor given a refund (if it's after final payment date).

You should contact your TA for full details, we here can only speculate.

I am on the maasdam on August 1st, which is one sailing prior. Still available, but the price just skyrocketed!! Only booked last week-- glad I did! Wonder if they expect a surge and jacked up the prices?

Good timing on your part. :)

I suspect you are correct in your speculation regarding the price jump.

I think booking groups and charters on Koningsdam so early in her career is a bad move. There are a lot of people who try new ships, regardless of the line. This is a chance for HAL to maybe convert some people, and they shouldn't be reducing those opportunities to make friends.

Charter passengers also want to try new ships! That is why you will often see RSVP (and parent company Atlantis) charter new ships as soon as possible.

RSVP tried the new MSC Divina in 2014 and the new Regal Princess in 2015. Next May Atlantis chartered Anthem of the Seas.

Thanks everyone. I did send a frantic email to the TA but have heard nothing. However we are on Paris time so maybe I'll cut them some slack. I'm very worried about the time line after noticing others were contacted about two weeks ago

Maybe I'll try to call from here if I hear nothing by tomorrow evening

Definitely do not want any part of two weeks on a ship devoted to something like that; apparently though we wouldn't be offered.

This was our first foray into the world of cruising and I'll admit to being a little panicked after reading that HAL allowed smoking on balconies. I didn't do any research because we liked the itinerary. So if we are booted off (with no penalty) maybe we will just move on and say it was a good attempt. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Hi Krazy Kruizer and others. I couldn't stand not knowing so I just called from Paris. The TA (800 number) when they answered confirmed that the cruise was cancelled and HAL was offering a rebooking or a full refund. Didn't ask why I had to find out from this forum (and seriously guys. I haven't looked at CC for weeks). I took the refund. Very sad. It was the itinerary we wanted, the lovely suite, and our 40th wedding anniversary.

However, it was a beautiful dream for two months now and I've thoroughly appreciated the comments on every question I posed. If I decide upon another cruise I will take my own advice fro, Trip Advisors Air Travel forum and book directly with the vendor. No third party again. Thanks all

What a disappointment! I think it is a dirty trick to pull on their customers, but Holland America's cruise contract mentions that they may (by way of example only) cancel a cruise "due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery." I count twenty-three reasons for cancellation, they might add a twenty-fourth, "whole ship charter" (by way of example only).

Hi Krazy Kruizer and others. I couldn't stand not knowing so I just called from Paris. The TA (800 number) when they answered confirmed that the cruise was cancelled and HAL was offering a rebooking or a full refund. Didn't ask why I had to find out from this forum (and seriously guys. I haven't looked at CC for weeks). I took the refund. Very sad. It was the itinerary we wanted, the lovely suite, and our 40th wedding anniversary.

However, it was a beautiful dream for two months now and I've thoroughly appreciated the comments on every question I posed. If I decide upon another cruise I will take my own advice fro, Trip Advisors Air Travel forum and book directly with the vendor. No third party again. Thanks all

I am truly sorry that your cruise was cancelled. I know I would be very disappointed it HAL cancelled a cruise that we had booked. Maybe you will find yourself another one similar to this one and still go on your 40th anniversary cruise.

If you can sail at the end of May we'd love to have you join us on Maasdam's May 23 cruise. We'll even celebrate your anniversary with you.

Margaret

Ah Towhee (Margaret) that is so sweet and tempting. However it would just be me as hubby will be out of the country on a conference then. Lol. We will get home next week and as soon as the dust settles from this trip will probably regroup and start looking again. Enjoy Alaska!!

Hello "Spideysmum"

You are so right, those chartering of a whole (or partial) vessel is indeed a pain in the neck.

HAL did completely burn my 60 anniversary because my cruise was also chartered.

o.k. I did get a replacement cruise 14 days later; and – but only after complaining – they did pay the cost of the Lufthansa transatlantic fly shift;

But the main reason and feeling about was indeed damaged !!!

Happy cruising

G E R D

What a disappointment! I think it is a dirty trick to pull on their customers, but Holland America's cruise contract mentions that they may (by way of example only) cancel a cruise "due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery." I count twenty-three reasons for cancellation, they might add a twenty-fourth, "whole ship charter" (by way of example only).

The cruise isn't cancelled. It will still take place, but only for those who book through the charter group. Passengers cancelled by HAL could still take the cruise if they wished to be part of the charter and book through them. That is different from a cruise being completely cancelled and not taking place at all.

Glad you called your TA and found out what exactly was happening.

Hope you find something you like for your 40th anniversary.

Add one more to your list.

January 2015 many of us got notices that our Caribbean cruises starting around the 1st of November of this year were cancelled because HAL decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam in Europe longer.

Even people who were scheduled to do the TA were cancelled.

Not a dirty trick. Just the reality of cruising.

We had originally booked an 11 day trip on the Eurodam for the end of November. Imagine my surprise when this was actually cancelled by HAL about 4 months ago. I was really sad, because the cruise was going to some amazing places.

We did decide to take one of the trips offered to us (just a change of date). We also were able to get them to upgrade us from a signature suite to a Neptune suite for no extra charge (had to jump through alot of hoops, but it happened).

I really don't like the idea of them doing this with cruises, but not sure if there is much anyone can do about it. It was honestly a new experience for me... I had never had that happen before in all my years of cruising!!