European cruise wear help please

mips

Interesting ... we just had a month-long cruise in Europe followed by a week in London ... many tourists everywhere we went, most of them European, dressed in lots of different colors.

Just goes to show, we go the same places but see different things!

E

Funny, we had lunch in very fine restaurants in Mayfair several times and noticed the men had the colored shirts and ties and every woman was in some form of black or gray. There were few if any " tourists" in these places.

You are right around the tourist areas is where you see Americans in shorts

in October as well as many tourists in lots of color. Viva la difference!

Edited by orchestrapal

• 1 month later...

We spent several years as Embassy staff in Rome. Actually, we were married in Rome. We were last back in 2006. October is the first month that the rainy season could begin so bring a lightweight rain jacket or coat and small umbrella if Carnival doesn't have them in your cabin. The only male legs seen going into St Peters are little boys. Same for shorts on women, don't. The guards stopped two girls back packing it because they were wearing longish shorts. They stepped over to the side and both pulled out and slipped long pants over their shorts and were then admitted. Both had on T-shirts. Hair cover or hats are not required unless you are a special guest for a specific ceremony. I really don't remember that they were picky about dress length. I mean mini skirts are out but I wore knee length sweater dresses but those were for Christmas masses not sight seeing. If I was showing people around I normally wore casual to dressy slacks and a top with short or long sleeves depending on temperature. Having a windbreaker and a cardigan along would be a good idea as the nights will get chilly as the sun sets. Definitely take one pair of well worn in comfortable shoes. Italian women DO wear trainers, sneakers and leather walking shoes in downtown Rome. Back in the 1980's I could never pass as a local no matter what I wore. I mean I tanned easily and have almost black hair and passable Italian. If I wore a simple but elegant dresses with the stilettos someone else mentioned my 5'7" turned into 5'10". I think it was my height as my clothes were mainly bought in the local department stores or shops. I got the same treatment if I wore nice jeans and a sweater. Bring sandals but wear them on sea days on the ship. Your husband will probably like a combination of washable khaki's and tropical weight wool gabardine trousers and polos to long sleeves and a sweater or other pullover at night. Again, well worn sneakers or leather walking shoes. Wear any bags across your body with the bag toward the front. The added refugees heading toward Europe may increase non-violent street crime so watch your wallets. There are very few restaurants where you need anything above "smart casual" outside the tourist areas. In the historic areas, well, you'll see jeans on up but rarely anything above a simple version of the little black dress and low, wide heels on those over 30. We often stopped at Harry's Bar before heading home after a night out and a nice skirt and blouse with heels was ore than appropriate. The same applies to most hotel restaurants near the Via Veneto.

You will tie up about 45 minutes by taxi to the center of Rome. Jeans are fine especially if you decide to take the commuter train in. Oh yes, if you plan on visiting the Synagogue in the Jewish Ghetto check the Israeli Embassy site online or their State Department first to see if non-members are being admitted and then do wear long sleeves and cover your legs as far as the lower knee cap. Capris are still worn but not probably as late as October. There weather is much like our falls but with a much higher chance of rain the later in October you go. That also applies to the Balkans and Greek islands. The sunny high 70's can turn to wet and chilly 45. Did I mention the comfortable walking shoes? :)