HAL transfers...Amsterdam to Rotterdam

pbnjrockette

We've never used "HAL transfers" so am wondering what this entails.. We will arrive at Schiphol airport...transfers to Rotterdam. If we fly in early for a few days stay in Amsterdam how do the transfers to Rotterdam cruise terminal work? Are they for taxi or bus or specific HAL transportation? We may also stay an extra day in Rotterdam after the cruise. Thanks for information.

For transport to Amsterdam you can take the train or a hotel shuttle usually around 15 euros.

Taking the train between Amsterdam and Rotterdam is simple.

I have not sailed from Rotterdam but if you are booking a hotel, their website may be of help.

HAL transfers on embarkation and debarkation days are chartered buses that wait at the airport or ship until full, or nearly full. Once when we stayed overnight after a cruise we were given a voucher to give to a taxi driver.

We've never used HAL transfers when arriving before embarkation day, but depending on the city I believe they may have a bus that makes pick-ups at several hotels, or you may have to go back to the airport to get the bus there.

Personally I would not use a HAL transfer when arriving before embarkation day. Besides, I've found that the per-person cost for a transfer is usually about the same as a taxi for two in most places. They make more sense for solo travelers.

Edited by jtl513

We've never used "HAL transfers" so am wondering what this entails.. We will arrive at Schiphol airport...transfers to Rotterdam. If we fly in early for a few days stay in Amsterdam how do the transfers to Rotterdam cruise terminal work? Are they for taxi or bus or specific HAL transportation? We may also stay an extra day in Rotterdam after the cruise. Thanks for information.

Depending on which cruise you are on HAL does offer what they call Interim Pick Up Transfers the day of your cruise in Amsterdam to the port in Rotterdam. You do NOT have to have a hotel booked with HAL. You can pre purchase transfers to the ship. Often the pick up is at the Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam. You have to be there by 9:30 or 9:45 and they charge $59 US per person. If you are arriving the day of the cruise they do pick up from Schiphol and that cost is $60 per person but the pick up time is about the same and most are in a day or two early. You can add this with HAL or your TA can add it.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS
  • Thanks 1

Depending on which cruise you are on HAL does offer what they call Interim Pick Up Transfers the day of your cruise in Amsterdam to the port in Rotterdam. You do NOT have to have a hotel booked with HAL. You can pre purchase transfers to the ship. Often the pick up is at the Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam. You have to be there by 9:30 or 9:45 and they charge $59 US per person. If you are arriving the day of the cruise they do pick up from Schiphol and that cost is $60 per person but the pick up time is about the same and most are in a day or two early. You can add this with HAL or your TA can add it.

Thank You! Very helpful information!

Going from Schiphol to Rotterdam by train is easy. This is the website for the dutch railway service http://www.ns.nl

In Rotterdam there are 2 hotels right on the pier. Hotel New York ( http://www.hotelnewyork.nl ) is the old head office of the Holland Amerika Lijn and is a very nice hotel to stay in.

The other one is brand new: Nhow Hotel from the NH-hotel group ( http://www.nh-hotels.nl) . Another option is to stay at the old ss Rotterdam , they have special cruise packages which include shuttleservice to the pier , about 10 minutes by car .

I would definitely recommend staying in Rotterdam !

The train will take you about 1 1/4 hours and will cost a fraction of the cruise line transfers.

Hank

I understand it is cheaper but sometimes it is NOT about the money. Many feel more secure taking transfers from the cruise line. They are not needing to drag their luggage through a train station and handle the luggage on the train. Granted the train is a nice option for the extremely seasoned traveler with very little luggage but for many especially in Europe the transfers from the cruise line are far more popular

DH and I are taking our first ever Europe cruise in April and we would much rather spend the money on HAL Hotels and Transfers to make sure we are doing the right thing at the right time since it is our first time. I seldom have taken cruise line transfers in North America but there are a few occasions I highly recommend it. Houston is one of the cities. Another is Vancouver.

I understand it is cheaper but sometimes it is NOT about the money. Many feel more secure taking transfers from the cruise line. They are not needing to drag their luggage through a train station and handle the luggage on the train. Granted the train is a nice option for the extremely seasoned traveler with very little luggage but for many especially in Europe the transfers from the cruise line are far more popular

DH and I are taking our first ever Europe cruise in April and we would much rather spend the money on HAL Hotels and Transfers to make sure we are doing the right thing at the right time since it is our first time. I seldom have taken cruise line transfers in North America but there are a few occasions I highly recommend it. Houston is one of the cities. Another is Vancouver.

I agree with you, Lisa! We are sailing from Rotterdam the 23rd of April, and are flying in 2 days early to Schiphol. I checked with HAL about their precruise hotel package for Amsterdam and the price was astronomical (and HAL asked me on their survey why I didn't book with them:eek:) I booked the Holiday Express at the Airport and HAL transfer to Rotterdam. We will go back to the airport on embarkation day for the transfer. We lived in Germany for three years, and have seem Amsterdam. We just need to recover from the flight and enjoy the cruise. I looked at private companies for a transfer, and the pricing was about the same.

Karen

NS Nederlandse Spoorwegen/Dutch Railways are easy money, especially starting from Amsterdam-Centraal and/or Schiphol Airport for the one-hour trip to Rotjeknor (Rotterdam). Be advised however, that if your train is full (and it will be during AM & PM rush hours), there is no room for "cruise luggage" in your seating compartment and your fellow pax will not take kindly taking up available seating space by placing suitcases on there :cool: That leaves the 'standing room only' area around the doors

NS Nederlandse Spoorwegen/Dutch Railways are easy money, especially starting from Amsterdam-Centraal and/or Schiphol Airport for the one-hour trip to Rotjeknor (Rotterdam). Be advised however, that if your train is full (and it will be during AM & PM rush hours), there is no room for "cruise luggage" in your seating compartment and your fellow pax will not take kindly taking up available seating space by placing suitcases on there :cool: That leaves the 'standing room only' area around the doors

I agree with you, too Copper! When our flight to FCO /Rome was cancelled and the Noordam sailed without us and Delta left our luggage in Atlanta, we had to take the train to Livorno to catch up with the ship. We bought first class tickets on the Eurostar train, and thank goodness we didn't have luggage! Passengers who got on had to stack their luggage at the front of the car. you are totally responsible for your luggage....getting it on and off the train. We were exhausted just with our carry ons.

Karen

But Amsterdam-Centraal is not easy for the novice traveler To the Netherlands. I still find it disconcerting after dozens of trips from and to there. Schipol to Rotterdam, on the other hand, isn't too difficult. Still, reading the route maps and schedules can be daunting - sas they are at many train stations around the world. It can be done, but plan it out carefully beforehand.

But Amsterdam-Centraal is not easy for the novice traveler To the Netherlands. I still find it disconcerting after dozens of trips from and to there. Schipol to Rotterdam, on the other hand, isn't too difficult. Still, reading the route maps and schedules can be daunting - sas they are at many train stations around the world. It can be done, but plan it out carefully beforehand.

Points well taken Dave; unlike Schiphol, A'dam-Centraal has many platforms and one needs to be sure one is getting on the right one after walking that underground tunnel with platform entrance stairways on both sides. Trains leave right on time

We just returned from a cruise out of Rotterdam in July. We are 67 and 72. We spent 3 nights in Amsterdam, then took the train to Rotterdam, returning to Amsterdam after the cruise as well. As is usual in Europe, the airport and train stations had information booths with English speaking helpers, and the train ticket sales as well. You may have to ask some one for a little help here and there, but all is easily doable on your own. The train run is about 50 minutes, and about 30 with the express. We managed our luggage just fine.

Taking a train is easy indeed, but realise you also have to put the luggage into/from the train yourself while other passengers are getting into/from the train. This apart from the sometimes lacking space for your luggage.

Another option might be this private driver, who had many cruise passengers in the past. http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

I the past I advised also this tinkercab, but recently I heard some complaints about them. https://tinker.travel/en/

Taking a train is easy indeed, but realise you also have to put the luggage into/from the train yourself while other passengers are getting into/from the train. This apart from the sometimes lacking space for your luggage.

Another option might be this private driver, who had many cruise passengers in the past. http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

I the past I advised also this tinkercab, but recently I heard some complaints about them. https://tinker.travel/en/

We've used this outfit in the past for the A'dam=R'dam trip, when staying in one of the Schiphol Hotels; had no complaints about their service

http://www.schipholtaxireservation.nl/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGbb31JwJdKgoK_W2xU4AbMrvN8JghyB29uqmJDL5AcMaAsF58P8HAQ

Going from Schiphol to Rotterdam by train is easy. This is the website for the dutch railway service http://www.ns.nl

In Rotterdam there are 2 hotels right on the pier. Hotel New York ( http://www.hotelnewyork.nl ) is the old head office of the Holland Amerika Lijn and is a very nice hotel to stay in.

The other one is brand new: Nhow Hotel from the NH-hotel group ( http://www.nh-hotels.nl) . Another option is to stay at the old ss Rotterdam , they have special cruise packages which include shuttleservice to the pier , about 10 minutes by car .

I would definitely recommend staying in Rotterdam !

Rotterdam! ;-)

I know the train is easy and is a good price. I would have never gone for the train.... unless you can easily handle the baggage. Yes or no?

The transfer is some $60 per person. For two that is $120. What is the taxi cost from airport to Rotterdam.... last time in taxi was about 90 euro. I'd rather be in a comfortable private taxi.

Taxi also easy... don't have to find your shuttle and waiting for others... and you can get straight to your hotel... Hotel New York or De Rotterdam.

Suggestions?

Ine,

I didn't see you post. My thoughts are exactly... trains and baggage rarely go very well!

Stephen

Plus you would need to get your luggage to Amsterdam Centraal, and luggage and trams are even less compatible than luggage and trains!

:)

The location of the Central Station in Rotterdam is quite a distance from the port. One would still need a taxi from the station to the port, especially with luggage.

On our last visit when the ship docked in Rotterdam, we took a taxi from the pier to the Rotterdam Hilton for a post-cruise stay (it was about 15 Euro+/- if I recall). When it was time to leave, even though we had luggage, the underground Metro station was right next to the Hilton and it was two stops on the train to the main rail station in Rotterdam. (If we didn't have luggage, we could have walked from the Hilton to the Central Station). We took the Express train direct to Schiphol, got the luggage carts on the platform, then proceeded directly to the check-in counter.

It's all do-able on your own using public transport and it is certainly much more economical than a taxi or a private driver. However, the convenience of door-to-door service in a private vehicle, especially with luggage, is often a less stressful option.

Rob

With the Intercity Direct it will only take 27 minutes. Cost = 11,90 euro.

Rotterdam CS is a very modern station with elevators that will take you to street level.

As I've gotten older (now about 75) I more and more use Holland America's transfers, after a long flight I just don't need any complications anymore. I've had excellent results with them, when the coach is slow to fill on more than 1 occasion they've put me in a prepaid taxi to the hotel if overnight or to the pier. No complaints whatsoever; yes usually a few more $.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
We've used this outfit in the past for the A'dam=R'dam trip, when staying in one of the Schiphol Hotels; had no complaints about their service

http://www.schipholtaxireservation.nl/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtO2wBRCu0d2dkvjVi5cBEiQAMEIVGbb31JwJdKgoK_W2xU4AbMrvN8JghyB29uqmJDL5AcMaAsF58P8HAQ

Just made a reservation with them. Schiphol airport to Rotterdam hotel (nHow)... 102 Euros. Makes more sense for us than trying to carry suitcases on the train. Will use HAL transfer for the trip back---late afternoon flight.

Edited by pbnjrockette

We rarely used HAL transfer but Rotterdam/Amsterdam is one we did use. We didn't want to deal with luggage as has been mentioned above. I, again, would do the HAL transfer in the circumstances as exist for train travel and cruise luggage.

• 6 years later...

This thread is pretty old, but covers exactly what I need....  hope someone sees this.

My wife and I are flying into Amsterdam a day before our scheduled HAL cruise in June - to leave some cushion time in case of flight issues.   I have yet to book transfers or a hotel for that first night. 

Plot twist:  my wife has MS and uses a wheelchair - so transportation etc. needs to factor that in. 

From what I am reading, the hotel prices you can get through HAL are pretty exorbitant - true?   I actually have enough Amex points to book a room "free" at any of several hotels in Rotterdam or Amsterdam, so I am inclined to go that route.

Here's what I am considering: book a room at the Marriott Rotterdam, which is right next to the Rotterdam Central (spell correct won't let me use the Dutch spelling) rail station.   We'll take the train from Schiphol to Rotterdam Central and just walk over to the hotel.   This should be feasible if we arrange (in advance) for wheelchair assistance at both rail stations.

https://wheelchairtravel.org/amsterdam/public-transportation/

The question is: can I get a transfer from the Marriott to the pier from HAL?   Has anyone ever done that transfer?   Naturally, I can call HAL and wait in the phone queue to ask about this - but thought I would ask here first.   I feel like phone reps may push hard to get me to book an expensive room via them.