Guarantees

pondnana

Has anyone ever not received a stateroom that has been guaranteed? We have a guaranteed ph 3 stateroom which was confirmed August 2014. We have not had any offers of upgrades and have no stateroom number and we are told we will get our assigned stateroom upon embarkation. When I have phoned O that is what they tell me - upon embarkation! We are platinum members and have never before had a guaranteed stateroom. We are sailing from Montreal to Miami, leaving on Oct. 20 and are getting anxious. We would like to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

Diana and Jim

dianagardner02@gmail.com

:eek: if you booked in 2014 were the PH all booked then ?

Must be a popular intinerary

I have heard that some will get them at check in

That is why I never book a GTY I like to know where I am sleeping ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to post and you're already on your cruise. However, in our experience booking at least 5 GTYs - always got at least the category we paid for (usually G, inside cabin); occasionally an upgrade. A few times we got an upsell offer and accepted it. If you don't mind the suspense, GTY is the way to go.

I'm late to post and you're already on your cruise. However, in our experience booking at least 5 GTYs - always got at least the category we paid for (usually G, inside cabin); occasionally an upgrade. A few times we got an upsell offer and accepted it. If you don't mind the suspense, GTY is the way to go.

is there a special benefit to booking a GTY?

WE usually choose a cabin we like we get upgrades or upsell offers

Lyn, the only time we had a GTY was on our Norway cruise in 2010 with you. We came to the party too late and couldn't get the PH we wanted but were able to get a guarantee for an A. We ended up in an A1 ... I don't recall how long we had to wait for a cabin assignment but it was definitely before we arrived in Dover to board the ship!

Mura

Lyn, the only time we had a GTY was on our Norway cruise in 2010 with you. We came to the party too late and couldn't get the PH we wanted but were able to get a guarantee for an A. We ended up in an A1 ... I don't recall how long we had to wait for a cabin assignment but it was definitely before we arrived in Dover to board the ship!

Mura

Yes if that is the only option a GTY may work

Roothy is always promoting booking a GTY

I see no benefit unless that is the only way to get on the ship

For me & I suspect you I prefer to know where I am sleeping ;)

personal choice

If O discounts GTY bookings then it may be a plus

Edited by LHT28

I completely agree, Lyn. We only took the GTY on that cruise because it was the only way to get on an itinerary I desperately wanted and that was the only sailing that year. I'd have taken an ocean view if that was all that was available ... but probably not an inside! (I confess that I glared at every PH passenger I saw and immediately disliked them all because they were in MY cabin ... LOL)

I also want to know where I am. But obviously this approach works very well for Roothy.

As you say, personal preference. There is no "one way".

(Since then I've increased our advanced booking times ... we used to book on average a year ahead, these days it seems to be 18 months ... or even more.)

Mura

• 1 month later...

We booked GTY for category C - our preferred location on ship. This was a relatively late booking - 10 months before sailing - we usually book 18 months before sailing. We are now 8 days from sailing and still no assigned cabin.

We just received an offer to upgrade to B (no indication of the specific level in B) for $500 per person. We declined. It might be a good deal but we are perfectly happy with the location of the C cabins and we seldom spend time on the verandas anyway.

Does this offer for us mean the people with assigned cabins have all turned down the upsell? If that's true, then it seems to me we should get the B cabin anyway so why should we pay extra for it?

It reminds me of several times when I booked compact rental cars and the counter agents tried to upsell me. When I declined they gave me the upgraded cars for the same price as the compact because they had no more compacts available.

This is our first time with Oceania and I hope this is not indicative of the overall experience.

We booked GTY for category C - our preferred location on ship. This was a relatively late booking - 10 months before sailing - we usually book 18 months before sailing. We are now 8 days from sailing and still no assigned cabin.

We just received an offer to upgrade to B (no indication of the specific level in B) for $500 per person. We declined. It might be a good deal but we are perfectly happy with the location of the C cabins and we seldom spend time on the verandas anyway.

Does this offer for us mean the people with assigned cabins have all turned down the upsell? If that's true, then it seems to me we should get the B cabin anyway so why should we pay extra for it?

It reminds me of several times when I booked compact rental cars and the counter agents tried to upsell me. When I declined they gave me the upgraded cars for the same price as the compact because they had no more compacts available.

This is our first time with Oceania and I hope this is not indicative of the overall experience.

If the C cabins are overbook they do try to offer upsells to move people to free up the Cat

Some people will take them other will not

If you do not want to move from a C just tell your TA you do not want to entertain any offers

We never book a GTY we like to know where we are sleeping but we have taken upgrades when it works for us

If the C cabins are overbook they do try to offer upsells to move people to free up the Cat

Some people will take them other will not

If you do not want to move from a C just tell your TA you do not want to entertain any offers

We never book a GTY we like to know where we are sleeping but we have taken upgrades when it works for us

We already told her. And the GTY was the only option available to us at the time of booking. The offer feels like they're trying to upsell us to something they may have to give us for free. Just my opinion.

We already told her. And the GTY was the only option available to us at the time of booking. The offer feels like they're trying to upsell us to something they may have to give us for free. Just my opinion.

It is called business

If they can get people to give them $$ for an upsell why not

You are entitled to decline it

JMO

The offer feels like they're trying to upsell us to something they may have to give us for free. Just my opinion.

It is true that if nobody buys that upsell, there is a good chance that one or more of the "guarantee folks" will be upgraded for free.

The thing is, if the upgrade is attractive enough, one has to have confidence that no one else will buy it, leaving the rest in the original cabin.

• 4 weeks later...
We already told her. The offer feels like they're trying to upsell us to something they may have to give us for free. Just my opinion.

Update: 2 days before departure we were assigned a Veranda Cabin - the same category that they offered to us for an additional $1,000.

Very glad we didn't accept their "offer".