Hanoi/Halong Bay

cheffip

Looking for advice on how best to handle this 1 1/2 day stop on Millennium.

We want to see Hanoi and know it's a very long drive there and back but we are game to do that on day 1 (private tour) then do the ship's tour on day 2 in Halong Bay.

There are some who believe that a) Hanoi can only really be appreciated with an overnight and b) the short Halong Bay tours don't get far enough out to the best karsts to be worthwhile.

I would love some fresh feedback on this from those who have tendered in HB and faced a similar choice.

Was the day-trip fulfilling enough or was there really a lot to be gained with the overnight? Obviously you would really only gain the evening in Hanoi because you need to drive back to the ship in the morning.

How were the 3-4 hour HB tours? Did you see more (other than visiting a cave) than you would from the ship's deck as it sails in and out?

I don't think it is worth the long (3-4 hour) drive to Hanoi and back. All you will get of Hanoi is a glimpse. The same is true of the short half day cruise. You may be able to book a private overnight cruise which is what I would do. Get on to your Roll Call as see if there are others interested. Then check out options (Google, Trip Advisor, etc.) I know that the company Indochina Junk has some private options. That would make for a much more relaxing time.

Looking for advice on how best to handle this 1 1/2 day stop on Millennium.

We want to see Hanoi and know it's a very long drive there and back but we are game to do that on day 1 (private tour) then do the ship's tour on day 2 in Halong Bay.

There are some who believe that a) Hanoi can only really be appreciated with an overnight and b) the short Halong Bay tours don't get far enough out to the best karsts to be worthwhile.

I would love some fresh feedback on this from those who have tendered in HB and faced a similar choice.

Was the day-trip fulfilling enough or was there really a lot to be gained with the overnight? Obviously you would really only gain the evening in Hanoi because you need to drive back to the ship in the morning.

How were the 3-4 hour HB tours? Did you see more (other than visiting a cave) than you would from the ship's deck as it sails in and out?

Good afternoon Cheffip.

Difficult decision you have to make: so many places to see.

I covered both last November but I was on a River Cruise package.

You may wish to pick the bones out of the two separate reviews I did...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/12/29/far-eastern-trilogy-part-2-good-morning-vietnam/

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/12/09/a-far-eastern-trilogy-part-1-halong-bay/

Much will depend on the time of year of course. October to May will give less chance of mists obscuring the beauty of Halong Bay.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

I love Vietnam...

15849362180_c64e6ca6c7_z.jpg

I don't think it is worth the long (3-4 hour) drive to Hanoi and back. All you will get of Hanoi is a glimpse. The same is true of the short half day cruise. You may be able to book a private overnight cruise which is what I would do. Get on to your Roll Call as see if there are others interested. Then check out options (Google, Trip Advisor, etc.) I know that the company Indochina Junk has some private options. That would make for a much more relaxing time.

An excellent suggestion and one I recommended to a friend on a UK Forum..

"The companies name was Aucocruises.

I have just dug out my onboard account and note that there is an email address for their sales department.

sales@aucocruises.com.

You have nothing to lose by enquiring if they do full day/ single over nighters".

He followed my advice and got a result.

15352163924_72e82d2aae_z.jpg