irritated the price dropped

bnorris10

I am so irritated not only is the same category and floor available for the ship I am cruising on in December but the price also dropped $1800 PLUS they offer a $225 OBC and the free drink package (which i already have)

But seriously that is like a $2000 difference

I mean my fare was $4597

25% of that is 1149.25

The reduced fare would be 2848

which is like $599 less

plus I would get $225 in OBC ... all the other fee's would be the same like port charges etc

I am assuming port charges, gratuities, reservation stuff is all 100% refundable?

Have you reached out to NCL or your TA?

I reached out when I first noticed them dropping the price and she called and got me an additional $100 OBC which is a big difference from $1800 and just sent her another message again

If I call NCL they basically tell me there is nothing I can that I need to talk to my TA

I am so irritated not only is the same category and floor available for the ship I am cruising on in December but the price also dropped $1800 PLUS they offer a $225 OBC and the free drink package (which i already have)

But seriously that is like a $2000 difference

Posts like this make me laugh. You booked the cruise at a price point you were comfortable paying. The cruise could have gone up just as easily. NCL owes you nothing. Next time roll the dice for the opportunity to book cheaper last minute!

I would be irritated too. Not the best way to start your vaykay. It just shows that NCL drastically overpriced their Dec cruises. I noticed this. One of my friends wanted to cruise with my family and when I priced it this summer it was almost $4000 for an inside for a family of 4. Yes, I said inside. Needless to say she wasn't interested when she could go on many other cruise lines for about $1000-$1500 less than this (and I didn't blame her). I purchased earlier this year when the packages were good so I booked the next to lowest price of the year thus far. Ask your TA if you can get an OBC AND an a upgraded room. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by missintuitive

I would be irritated too. Not the best way to start your vaykay. It just shows that NCL drastically overpriced their Dec cruises. I noticed this. One of my friends wanted to cruise with my family and when I priced it this summer it was almost $4000 for an inside for a family of 4. Yes, I said inside. Needless to say she wasn't interested when she could go on many other cruise lines for about $1000-$1500 less than this (and I didn't blame her). I purchased earlier this year when the packages were good so I booked the next to lowest price of the year thus far. Ask your TA if you can get an OBC AND an a upgraded room. It doesn't hurt to ask.

She is gonna call tomorrow and see what she can do as I will end up $600 for the better by canceling and rebooking

Posts like this make me laugh. You booked the cruise at a price point you were comfortable paying. The cruise could have gone up just as easily. NCL owes you nothing. Next time roll the dice for the opportunity to book cheaper last minute!

Exactly. I bet the OP would call up NCL and give them more money if the fare went up from their original booking!

Your first mistake was using a travel agent. If you booked with NCL, they have been very fair. Giving us the price difference or upgrading to a better cabin, all WELL AFTER final payment was due. Your travel agent could be more proactive, but what does she care, she won't get any more money?

Edited by ano

Your first mistake was using a travel agent. If you booked with NCL, they have been very fair. Giving us the price difference or upgrading to a better cabin, all WELL AFTER final payment was due. Your travel agent could be more proactive, but what does she care, she won't get any more money?

Ours dropped after final payment maybe I'll call them, newbie to NCL here!

I disagree with using a travel agent being a mistake, my travel agent appreciates my continued business (I've been with them for years) even if it meant a little less money on one specific cruise - also that means that I get the same great service with a familiar person no matter which cruise line I choose.

When our suite price in March dropped a lot after final payment*, she got us a significant compensation from NCL even though she didn't have to, nor was NCL obligated to give us anything.

* It was thousands, I posted a thread blaming me for not checking the prices enough - had I noticed earlier, the next cancellation phase would not have kicked in and even with losing the original deposit we would have come ahead by cancelling and rebooking.

Edited by Demonyte

I suggest you talk to your TA and demand an upgrade equals to what you paid unless you are already in the highest category. NCL might or might not give you a refund but will give you an upgrade. If you have a Travel Protection Plan, you can cancel and get a refund this way. The process is tedious and very time consuming but it's worth a try. How dedicated are you with your TA? A good TA should be able to communicate with NCL and get you an upgrade, a refund and more OBC. If you booked thru NCL, you will be able to negotiate directly. If you have a TA, NCL will not deal with you. Lots of luck to you.

Edited by fun1too

I'm not quite sure why its logical for a TA to fight your corner to reduce there commission.

But as said a zillion times before on these boards.. Book a cruise when you are happy with the price - if you are don't look at the price again (it WILL change up or down).

If you want to book at the lowest price 55 days out and less is the magic number but you roll the bones as to wether you will get the floor ,cabin or class you want.

Theres no real issue - and has been said plenty of times before just ring up NCL an ask if they can offer you any deal or cancel and rebook (much easier if your dealing direct)

Edited by ighten

I suggest you talk to your TA and demand an upgrade equals to what you paid unless you are already in the highest category. NCL might or might not give you a refund but will give you an upgrade.

That is not guaranteed. While that often happens, one is in no position to demand anything after final payment - NCL is not obligated to give anything extra as long as the original contract is fulfilled (with original price of course).

Our Thanksgiving cruise price has also dropped by approximately $300 per room, and they increased the onboard credit from $ 100 to $ 200. Our travel agent has been of no help. Every time that I noticed a price drop/added incentive, I have had to call them. Every time that I call, they supposedly have NCL on the other line with always an answer of "no, sorry". We like to cruise every Thanksgiving week. Next year I will definitely wait to book until closer to our cruise, as there are still quite a bit of available rooms, including connecting rooms. We can drive to the cruise port so no need to worry about the airfare issue. We used a travel agent as the price was minimally lower. I will re-think using a travel agent next year.

Our travel agent has been of no help. Every time that I noticed a price drop/added incentive, I have had to call them. Every time that I call, they supposedly have NCL on the other line with always an answer of "no, sorry". [....] We used a travel agent as the price was minimally lower. I will re-think using a travel agent next year.

Besides rethinking your booking strategy like you already have (you're lucky that you have the possibility to make more last minute bookings), I suggest finding a new TA, there are good ones out there.

We have always gotten about 10% of the cruise fare as a discount of total price and/or OBC from our TA - making them a lot better choice financially than booking direct. When the service I get through them is better than I have experienced with most NCL CSRs, it's a no-brainer for us.

She is gonna call tomorrow and see what she can do as I will end up $600 for the better by canceling and rebooking

From this statement it sounds like you are before final payment. So why not do just that? That is exactly what NCL would do for you if you booked direct. They would just cancel and rebook. I don't understand the problem? (I admit that I did not read the rest of the thread so I apologize if this was already answered).

Our suite dropped by $1700 one week prior to sailing. The NCL PCC we worked with gave us $1200 in future cruise credits. Yes, we were fine paying the original price, but hey, it'd be crazy not to even make a phone call to see what NCL may offer [emoji57]

You have to remember that all cruise line are in the business to make money. They price out the cruise based on supply and demand. They hope to get a sold out cruise at the original rate advertised. They'll always drop the price after the 90 day mark to try and fill what's remaining.

The difference is if they are willing and able to work with exsisiting passangers. It is true they dont have to do anything in droppping the price and its true that it would make any cuurent passanger who calls happy to cut their price, but they know they can't do it for everyone.

Best advice, call and see what can be done. If the answer is no, then its no.

I have a good agent and she always calls and check some stuff for me and sometimes is able to get extra onboard credit or something she is going to call and see what can happen for me today

I don't think you answered my previous question? Why not do what NCL would do if you had booked direct and just cancel/rebook? Or is this not an option when booking through a TA?