Free beverage package? Not so much!

Beaver1975

I was checking pricing for my upcoming Getaway cruise. I selected a BD balcony cabin and the price came up as $2,730.92 with $125 OBC. But, when I added the "free" Unlimited Beverage Package the price jumped to $3,007.40 and only $100 obc for a difference of $301.48 for the "free" beverage package.

Huh?

Beverage package is free. The 18% gratuities calculated at the $64pp/day UBP price are not.

Been discussed a few times I think.

Easy enough to figure out whether you're better off with a different promo or the UBP. Just a simple maths problem.

Edited by dd2355

Beverage package is free. The 18% gratuities calculated at the $64pp/day UBP price are not.

Easy enough to figure out whether you're better off with a different promo or the UBP. Just a simple maths problem.

You are right, I forgot about the gratuities having to be paid on the beverage package (and the dining package for that matter).

Thank you for the answer rather than a snipe. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beaver1975

I was checking pricing for my upcoming Getaway cruise. I selected a BD balcony cabin and the price came up as $2,730.92 with $125 OBC. But, when I added the "free" Unlimited Beverage Package the price jumped to $3,007.40 and only $100 obc for a difference of $301.48 for the "free" beverage package.

Huh?

Looks like NCL isn't the only line doing this; noticed the same thing on Celebrity; prices raise when there are perks. I guess they have to pay for the perks one way or another.

Here is an example of Celebrity's on one cruise:

Pick one perk and the cost is $3,999 per person

Pick two perks and the cost is $4,254 per person

Pick four perks and the cost is $4,764 per person

I think if we dug into all the lines, we would find out that they are all paying for the perks with our fares.

Edited by NLH Arizona

As much as I would have liked the gratuities to be included in the UBP promo, it's still a pretty good deal.

I look at it this way—if I'm an event where there's an open bar, I'm going to still tip the bartender a buck or two when I get a drink. It's the same deal, just the open bar lasts for a week. :D

You are right, I forgot about the gratuities having to be paid on the beverage package (and the dining package for that matter).

The 18% gratuity for 2 people on a 7 day cruise should be $161.28. Not sure why your price jumped nearly $300 in that case.

Huh?

The fare price has not gone up 300 dollars because of your choice of promo per se... most of the difference is the cost of the 18 percent gratuities on the beverage packages for each of you in the room... so figure 2 x 68 or so for the 18 percent gratuity. They are not actually raising the fare price to accomodate your selection of promo. It still represents a significant savings over purchasing the package yourself, and possibly over paying your bar tab depending on how much you are likely to consume.

I am not sure why that would reduce your OBC ??

I'm sure that the system defaulted to their "perk" being the $25 OBC. Once the UBP was picked, it reduced the OBC to $100. The $100 OBC had to be from another perk. I definitely could be mistaken though.

I am not sure why that would reduce your OBC ??

If you don't select a promotional option you get the default of $25 OBC, once you select one of the promotional options that $25 goes away unless you book a full suite or Haven suite.

***got it a minute late, sorry for the duplicate answer

Edited by Got Tequila?

Ignoring the OBC...why did selecting a "free" perk and paying $160 in gratuity raise it up to 3007 and not to 2891? It looks like there is another $115 or so thrown in there?

It is a 12 day cruise.

18% of $64 for 12 days times 2 people comes out to $276.48

It is a 12 day cruise.

18% of $64 for 12 days times 2 people comes out to $276.48

I was calculating off of 7 days. Okay then.

the math checks out. Over 12 days it probably is worth the cost increase for the booze. Was nicer when it was free free!

No worries. IMHO $11.52pp/day is still a bargain to have an "all inclusive" feeling during a cruise. NCL could be a bit more obvious about the added charge to the "free" promo, but it is what it is. I'm a bottom-line kinda guy so I don't get worked up over marketing wording, I figure there's almost always some catch. "The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away"

As much as I would have liked the gratuities to be included in the UBP promo, it's still a pretty good deal.

I look at it this way—if I'm an event where there's an open bar, I'm going to still tip the bartender a buck or two when I get a drink. It's the same deal, just the open bar lasts for a week. :D

This is exactly the way that I looked at it!

Huh?

you still have to pay, $64 or $68 in gratuities; that is the difference: it is still a good deal. If you drink 7 drinks or more per person the $64 is a great deal.

Edited by newmexicoNita

...and am I understanding this correctly? The UBP only covers alcholic beverages and nothing else? Say I just want a coffee, water, pop or Juice? Is that extra? If so...doesent sound very "ultimate" to me.:mad:

It covers soda and juice, but not bottled water or specialty coffees.

Here are the T &Cs from NCL:

Ultimate Beverage Package:

Available for all stateroom categories on sailings through April 2016; and for Balcony category and higher for all sailings beyond April 2016

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board, Applicable taxes, US and VAT may apply based on certain destinations.

Does not apply to the Ice Bars.

Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package prior to cruise.

It's still a good deal, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for clearing that up:). I guess I got spoiled on Celebrity where everything under the sun is included...Now I just need to find a package for my kids that doesn't just include soda.

I know what you mean [emoji4] We sailed on HAL summer before last and had an all inclusive, no-gratuity charged beverage package that include everything including bottled water and specialty coffees.

It was very nice, but as others have said paying gratuities doesn't bother me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by sctexan