Late Flight out of FLL/rental car

HALrunner

We will be disembarking at Port Everglades and our flight out of FLL does not depart until about 8:15pm that evening. We hope to rent a car for the day so that our luggage can be safely locked away while we enjoy a day in the city. Is the best way to do this simply to take a cab from the port to the airport and rent from there? Or is there a rental company at the port ? If we rent at the port, can we return to the airport?

Any suggestions welcome!

As commonly discussed here, there is no car rental facility within the port. The closest is just off the port on 17th. It is not walkable unless you are docked at Terminal 2/4.

There are a few car rental places that offer shuttles, so a quick search would be beneficial. Your solid choice would be to taxi to the airport.

The following info courtesy member MADflyer:

"Only Alamo/National shuttle between Airport and Port. Must show return receipt to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit."

More info is available online at their websites, of course, and you can always phone them directly.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

The following info courtesy member MADflyer:

"Only Alamo/National shuttle between Airport and Port. Must show return receipt to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit."

More info is available online at their websites, of course, and you can always phone them directly.

What do you mean by "Return Receipt" I haven't rented the car yet. Can I show them my rental confirmation (receipt)??? Also does the shuttle come regularly??? Do I to have this prearranged??? Thanks for the help. Just trying to save a few dollars on a shuttle/taxi.

What do you mean by "Return Receipt" I haven't rented the car yet. Can I show them my rental confirmation (receipt)??? Also does the shuttle come regularly??? Do I to have this prearranged??? Thanks for the help. Just trying to save a few dollars on a shuttle/taxi.

Just have your reservation printout handy