First time Cruiser...what would you tell them to bring?

Singer4Him

Excellent idea! My biggest problem is sorting and identifying the photos. I haven't lost any. Yet. And I'm careless about downloading to my laptop. But the separate CD per day is a total answer and makes life so much easier when it comes time to put everything together in albums.

When we did our tours of Italy I realized after we got home that I didn't have a clue where we went. I was able to track down the route by the different restaurants. Take lots of pictures of those signs on the road and where you had lunch. We spent 3 days pre cruise in Rome and around Italy plus the drive to the port. Putting the locations together was certainly a challenge. Plus my DH and I had dueling cameras so I really had my job cut out for me.

Hmm, I actually just "discovered" the packing method of ROLLING my clothes and I LOVE it! Unlike you, my clothes came out UN-Wrinkled and took up MUCH less space!

Perhaps you used a different "Method" -- THis is what I did:

My socks/boxers were the "core," and I rolled a t-shirt round them, tightly. This is critical otherwise you will not have good results for the first few items. After you have your core, roll each item, one by one, around the "core" - You have to wrap/roll tightly, and "Smooth out" any wrinkles, and it's best to do the rolling on a hard, flat surface, like the dining room table.

for "Dress clothes" like dress pants and dress shirts, I will roll new-unused dry cleaner bags in between the layers, but ONLY for dress clothes.

Depending on how many articles you have, and how "thick" your suitcase is, you may end up with one roll or two.

Hoestly, I have taken 3 trips where I used this technique, and I LOVE it. clothes come out perfect and it really does take up significantly less space.

I do the same!! Love rolling and mine never come out wrinkled either. I also cross pack (half of my stuff in one suitcase half in my husband's) that way I am not completely lost without clothes if one of our suitcases is lost while travelling.

One suggestion for packing is a small fan. It tends to get warm in bathroom and my husband likes to have one on his face while sleeping too. I also agree with the night light for an inside cabin. I use my phone flashlight if I need to use the restroom in the middle of the night so I don't stub a toe on something!

My DH made fun of me. I said, what do you think? You just show up at the airport and they know where you are going? He said, well that's what I do!

:rolleyes:

So does my wife! But, then again, she has her personal travel agent (ahem...me) with all the documentation....in a binder....with tabs....and pockets....

LMAO @ wrinkled tramp!!! [emoji16][emoji13] I don't roll either!

I don't roll either, due to that wrinkled tramp thing, but my husband does roll and his things don't seem to wrinkle. Very odd. :confused:

I like to bring one SD card for each port and when you get back to the ship, put the one you just used at the port into the safe, just incase something happens to your camera, you dont loose all of your pictures...Being a little OCD, I print out the conformation papers for the excursions and put each into an envelope with the port name on it...then I put any money I still need for it in the envelope as well...that way when I leave the ship, I just grab the envelope for that port out of the safe and know I have everything I need for that excursion...I always print out the amenities sheet from the cruise line just incase nothing shows up on my account...

DO NOT waste the space bringing a beach towel...I did that on my first cruise and have to laugh at myself now....

One additional thing I do - I print out a page with my name and e-mail address, and photograph it as the first picture on each card. That way, if you loose your camera, an 'honest' person finding it will be able to contact you....

I don't bring any of that ...except for IDS...no need! Bring LARGE denominations, easier to carry, and break them down as needed on the ship.

The cabin attendant will get you more hangers. Never have needed a power strip...we plug/unplug as needed.

Don't use Truvia...sugar is better for you...and have NEVER used a backpack!

Air fresheners? There's a vent in there!

We just say "Thank-you" in person to those who serve us!

Same here. We bring zip-lock bags..various sizes. We put damp swimsuits in them for return home. We put clean clothes in them when we leave for the trip, they come back with the dirty clothes in them. My one MUST HAVE is my over-the-counter medications. The shops on the ship close at night and are closed when in port. Nothing is worse than having a head-ache, stomach ache, the beginnings of a cold, a blister on your foot, toothache, and you have to wait to get to the port, go ashore and spend your time looking for a pharmacy. I take a small zip lock with travel size meds for all these ailments and we have, at one time or another, used all of them except the tooth-ache gel. I carry Advil, Tylenol, tums, Pepto-Bismol, Dayquil, Nyquil, band-aids, neosporin, mole-skin, and anything else we might find in the travel-sections.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously "different strokes for different folks"....

We have a child so a wet swimsuit is a constant in our cabin, I bring a small ziplock with a handful of clothespins to secure wet suits to our balcony chairs or the shower clothesline.

Another must for us are our walkie talkies. Norwegian has the App that worked well for our phones to keep in contact but since other ships don't... Our older parents will be with us on our next cruise and we need to keep the distance walking to a minimum for them so it's easier to figure out where they are and meet them instead of making them walk all the way to our cabin to look for a sticky note on the door.

On our last cruise (NCL Getaway) we needed an extra keycard to stick in the light/AC control to keep it on while we weren't in the cabin.

Instead of a power strip (some ships get picky about those), I bought a 3 pack of European plug adapters. Gives me 3 extra plugs which is usually enough for us and easier to pack.

LMAO @ wrinkled tramp!!! [emoji16][emoji13] I don't roll either!

I have rolled MANY a trip...but it does require some careful rolling. You can't just roll away & expect good results. You have to make sure you aren't creating wrinkles as you go--smooth & roll, smooth & roll. I actually roll each item individually.

Also, 100% cottons--dress shirts, twill slacks--you must be VERY VERY careful with; I try to avoid them as much as possible. But I have a pair of black capris that go with me everywhere. Again, just roll very carefully.

I agree with the using dry cleaning bags with dress clothes--helps a lot! And those do better with rolls of multiple items.

Microfiber anything works great.

I wouldn't try this at all with linen or satin.

This works great if you have a smaller suitcase or just bring carry-ons. We bought a 28" nice suitcase...if I roll, it is over 50lbs.! :eek: (sometimes even when I don't roll!!)

Edited by KKB

ID & money--everything else you can buy or live without!! Actually money can be obtained on the ship as well...

(you think I joke? My brother forgot to get cash before our last cruise & had to pay a few bucks to get cash on the ship!)

But we find we need less & less...

You change clothes several times/day--so a couple pair of shorts, couple pair of capris, a few tees is plenty. Couple pair of dressy black slacks & multiple dressy tops covers dinner. Comfy rubber shoes cover pool & sightseeing; dressy black shoes for evening. One swimsuit & coverup is plenty for me--they are dry enough each day. Be sure to have one pair of flats--I sprained an ankle on one cruise, and luckily had some flats. Flip flops for formal night!

I do light a highlighter & some post it notes. Manila folder for papers/photos.

Waterboxes--to hold ID/money while at the beach.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKNAVFI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00LG33QRO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01X9SF7PQDDV9V85Y6B5

There is usually a nightlight in the bathroom.

My phone can be a clock.

Plenty of plugs--we just alternate what needs charged & have never had an issue.

There is SO much storage in a room; never found a need for over door shoe organizer--can always find a drawer, cupboard or shelf for everything.

DO NOT forget sunscreen or meds (OTC or prescription)--we paid $15 for a very small bottle of children's tylenol on the ship once (we actually brought a larger bottle; DD had an ear infection & was fine as long as she had tylenol in her...ran out...:()

Last trip I forgot my Bare Minerals powder foundations; I find regular to be too greasy for Caribbean...paid $50 for Smashbox powder foundation onboard (OUCH). Lesson learned.

Though it isn't necessary to pack, my husband and I started to bring the same Yankee Candle scent (plugin, room spray, etc) on vacation. We always bring the same scent. While at home we never use it. Months after our vacation we can smell the scent and we are transported back to our vacation. Apparently scents are strongly linked to memory and I find it to be true. So again you don't need to pack an air freshener but it is a reminder of your great vacation. That said I'll be bringing my Sun and Sand room spray on my next FIRST cruise in Feb :)

How the heck did I enjoy 44 cruises without bringing all or any of this stuff suggested?!

Sure, chargers are a must, and I actually pack my shirts that are on my closet hangers with those hangers, so the ships's hangers mostly go on the shelf above. Makes it much easier!

Obviously toiletries and appropriate clothing, along with camera and the usual, but that's it. Okay, a couple of times I brought my pillow from home!

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a lanyard with my card on it, and I don't need over door storage things either, along with an alarm clock, etc.

Of course I have never decorated my door and never will.

Gosh, some folks make it soooo complicated. Keep it simple!

I bring much less now...but still have a number of items I take from these lists as they make life easier. I actually have added a covered coffee mug for coffee or iced green tea to drink throughout the day.

Some people love to be prepared--either they just enjoy the process or it soothes them. I am addicted to planning for trips--I'm sure the amount of time I spend researching would drive others bonkers (DH does nothing more than put the date on his calendar, pack & travel!). To each his/her own!

Post-it notes--these have been invaluable when sailing with others, particularly our teens. Since the teens usually sleep later than us, we just pop one on their door so they always know where to find us! (and vice versa). We tried those 2 way radios our first cruise--they suck.