UBER is back in Ft Lauderdale

royalcruz

I don't think that is true. (at least when I asked our last driver he said no).

They have no idea how far you are going to go...The driver told me that if they knew then they could pick the "better" fares, and ignore the ones they didn't like and that the users would be impacted (e.g. if they knew you were only going a short distance, no driver might pick the fare)

You are correct. I mean to say that when they arrive at your location before you get in the car it shows them the destination. They are technically then able to cancel if they want. I guess a regular cab could as well and let you out. Generally I have found the uber drivers much less problematic about this because they haven't been waiting at a taxi stand for hours to get a fare.

I to have never used Uber. Is there a way to have the route with a stop ahead of time? Of must you ask once a driver has stopped to pick you up. Say FLL, a stop at Publix, then to downtown Miami.

Also is the fare based on pp or party. Say 2 adults.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Uber this week. Riders should note that there is a $4.50 surcharge to be picked up from the Fort Lauderdale airport. I've also heard, but haven't confirmed, that Uber is NOT allowed to pick up inside Port Everglades at the cruise terminal.

I to have never used Uber. Is there a way to have the route with a stop ahead of time? Of must you ask once a driver has stopped to pick you up. Say FLL, a stop at Publix, then to downtown Miami.

Also is the fare based on pp or party. Say 2 adults.

It is based on the car not the number of people.

You can offer your driver an extra $5 or $10 depending on how long your ride is to stop so you can quickly run into a grocery store.

Here is a good video that explains how to use uber. A couple of notes:

- Make sure the pin is where you are. It will be close based on the GPS of your phone, but before you make the request, look at the map, is it exactly where you are? An example would be like telling someone you are out front of Yankee Stadium instead of saying you are next to the 3rd gate on x street. This is important for airports, if you tell the app "JFK airport" it might pick the front entrance instead of the exact door and loop.

- Pay attention to your phone. If the driver can't find you they will be calling and you want to answer.

- Recommend adding your photo to your profile so it is easier for them to spot you.

- Everyone takes the uber reviews very seriously so be sure to review the driver and don't give them a bad review unless it is justified.

- Here is another promo code, make sure you enter it BEFORE your first ride like the video shows: 24uff

I started using uber last year and it is addicting, especially for travel away from your home city. Don't feel like walking a block or need to go a LONG way? Get an uber! They know how far you are going and if they weren't willing to go the short distance or long, they wouldn't accept the request!

Can this promo code be used in February?

Sure like to hear from someone that they have successfully been dropped at their ship. We used it last year in October and got harassed by the port authority cop. Understand it is supposed to be 'fixed', but like to hear positive reports before we try it in January.

PS. My code is steves746

Thanks!

Sure like to hear from someone that they have successfully been dropped at their ship. We used it last year in October and got harassed by the port authority cop. Understand it is supposed to be 'fixed', but like to hear positive reports before we try it in January.

PS. My code is steves746

Thanks!

Since you asked - there was nothing positive about my UBER ride from FLL to Port Everglades this second week of November. The driver was turned away from a side entrance bcs 'only taxis' could go that way. When we came around to the main entrance the Port authority asked for the UBER driver's waybill (which they didn't seem to know anything about) and there was a general attitude of disgruntled mess. On top of the airport surcharge of $4.50 for the uber ride, I'll be honest and say this was the most unpleasant UBER experience I've had yet.

Since you asked - there was nothing positive about my UBER ride from FLL to Port Everglades this second week of November. The driver was turned away from a side entrance bcs 'only taxis' could go that way. When we came around to the main entrance the Port authority asked for the UBER driver's waybill (which they didn't seem to know anything about) and there was a general attitude of disgruntled mess. On top of the airport surcharge of $4.50 for the uber ride, I'll be honest and say this was the most unpleasant UBER experience I've had yet.

Sorry to hear that. We'll at least be coming from a hotel, so won't have the FLL surcharge. I just dislike the hotel shuttle horde.

We ended up using Uber on Halloween from FLL to the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Miami. It was great! Driver was friendly, he arrived even faster than the text said he would and everything went very smoothly. I used one of the coupon codes off of this thread and got $15 off. Even with the various fees, it was still about a third of the cost of taking a taxi.

We asked the driver about taking us to the port of Miami. He said it was very complicated, could get expensive, and didn't always work out. I assume he was referring to the issues other posters have spoken about here. We just took a cab from the hotel to the port and it cost us about $13.

Thanks for all the Uber help on this thread!

Edited by GreytRacer

We ended up using Uber on Halloween from FLL to the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Miami. It was great! Driver was friendly, he arrived even faster than the text said he would and everything went very smoothly. I used one of the coupon codes off of this thread and got $15 off. Even with the various fees, it was still about a third of the cost of taking a taxi.

We asked the driver about taking us to the port of Miami. He said it was very complicated, could get expensive, and didn't always work out. I assume he was referring to the issues other posters have spoken about here. We just took a cab from the hotel to the port and it cost us about $13.

Thanks for all the Uber help on this thread!

Thanks! I think that may have been my code you used and THANK YOU very much!! I used Uber during boat show and my fare showed up as $0.00!!

Score!!!

Uber-people, I'm in a taxi now heading to FLL and felt it only fair to let everyone know that according to taxi policy all rides starting at FLL have a $3.00 surcharge attached AND there's a $10.00 minimum charge going from Fort Lauderdale airport as well as Port Everglades. I'm willing to try UBER again, I just wish I could screen out the particular driver I had before.

Also pricing -

UBER for one-person: $13.76 (from FLL)

TAXI for one-person: $14.50 (from Port Everglades)

I did a price check for 4 with luggage, have to move up from the small car. It priced out several $s more than a van taxi

I don't think its that good a deal for short trips and based on the fact that I have to use an app, have a pw/id, give personal info, and a cc#. I would have to save a lot to give all that out

https://www.uber.com/legal/privacy

Edited by setsail

Uber pricing is always for the entire car and never per person.

Uber is a lot less expensive than a cab.

It's a fantastic deal for short trips. I can go from Las Olas to 17th Street for $6. It is double that in a cab.

Any airport surcharges are also charged to cabs.

I don't understand how y'all can take something so easy and uncomplicated and make it complicated.

Edited by BlueHerons

Uber pricing is always for the entire car and never per person.

Uber is a lot less expensive than a cab.

Any airport surcharges are also charged to cabs.

I don't understand how y'all can take something so easy and uncomplicated and make it complicated.

No harm in discussing options. I agree that UBER, in general, is much cheaper. Especially when split with multiple people or using one of those generous codes.

Cruise VV thanks for posting info-

I plan on using Uber-in a few weeks from FLL to Ocean Sky which is about 10 miles. I plan on saving 30-40% I was going to use it to get from Hotel to port but I dont know now.

Using Uber will be much cheaper than taking a cab. It will also be a much more pleasant experience.