Royal Caribbean---DONT BUY EARLY

Wefly9s

Unless you're on a cruise that typically sells out, it makes no sense to book and pay early with RCCL. I gave them the entire fare 5 months before sailing and the day after the 75 day window for 100% cancellation refund, the price dropped 16% which equated to about $430 for us. After two calls and this email response, it was clear that they werent going to even try to ease the pain. BTW--the "upgrade offer was to a Boardwalk balcony from a superior ocean view balcony room on Allure...doesn't sound like an upgrade. Maybe if a majority of the people hold out till inside 75 days, everyone would get it for less..It seems to make no sense to be a good customer.

We are happy to hear you had such a great time on your first cruise vacation with us! Please accept our apologies for your disappointment with seeing price drops after your final payment date. Regrettably, this is one of the issues with supply and demand. Many guests make reservations without knowing if they will keep them or not. This drives price up. Once the final payment date arrives, guests cancel before they incur any penalty. This drives price down right after the final payment date. This does not happen on every sailing, but it does happen. Unfortunately, after the final payment date, our only option is to offer an upgrade, depending on availability. After reviewing your reservation, we see this option has already been offered. We are unable to adjust prices or offer onboard credit after the final payment date. Again, please accept our apologies for any disappointment. Rest assured that we have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for an internal review.

It feels great to know you have already a reservation in my dashboard but it feels amazing when you don't have one and you find a cruise you are willing to go for less specially when people made the final payment. The incentives for booking onboard for an interior is so little now days that I rather book last minute and use my royal card for onboard credit etc,,

I book early because I'm fussy about stateroom selection, we really love the aft balconies on the pre-Oasis class ships. We book the room we want at a price we can live with if the price doesn't change, and frequently check for price drops. Then we can shop air fares well ahead of the cruise. It works for us.

-- Kevin

Edited by kevink

Unless you're on a cruise that typically sells out, it makes no sense to book and pay early with RCCL. I gave them the entire fare 5 months before sailing and the day after the 75 day window for 100% cancellation refund, the price dropped 16% which equated to about $430 for us. After two calls and this email response, it was clear that they werent going to even try to ease the pain. BTW--the "upgrade offer was to a Boardwalk balcony from a superior ocean view balcony room on Allure...doesn't sound like an upgrade. Maybe if a majority of the people hold out till inside 75 days, everyone would get it for less..It seems to make no sense to be a good customer.

We usually book our cruises within a couple weeks of when the schedule is announced. I have found that it is rare that the prices ever drop lower than what we booked at that early date.

We usually book our cruises within a couple weeks of when the schedule is announced. I have found that it is rare that the prices ever drop lower than what we booked at that early date.

This has been my experience too. And why or why would anyone check prices AFTER final payment? They are just looking for a reason to be bitter. What is the point?

Welcome to vacation planning? Obviously you wanted to plan ahead, therefore you paid more. I always wait for the last minute deal, and it is has not shown up more times than it has. Not to mention I pay more for airfare, and sometime hotels/rental cars by waiting. I get whatever rooms the other 3000 people didn't want, whatever dining times no body else wanted, and can make no changes to my reservation after booking, in exchange I get a good deal on the cruise by filling a cabin that would otherwise go empty.

I used to work for an airline, and let me tell you, those prices change multiple times a day for all kinds of reasons. Booking way out in the future will usually cost you more, but wait too long and it'll cost way more. Good luck trying to get the airline to give you back one red cent when the price changes ten minutes after you buy the ticket. In coach, it is not unusual for the prices people paid to vary by 300+%.

If you buy something from the store, and 5 months later the item goes on clearance, but their return window is only a very generous 90 days, do you complain to the internet when they won't match the new clearance price?

Royal could refuse to ever price match, and they do in every market outside of the US/Canada. So be happy you can every price match/cancel after booking.

This is the way it is.

There is no difference in this and other industries. When clothing is first offered, there may be a bit of an introductory sale. Then there is a period where it is full price. Maybe you can find some discounts. Then the season starts to change and then it is finally offered at clearance...then mega clearance...then super colossal clearance.

If you care about get exactly what you want in the color you want in your size...then you buy early. And if you don't care as much about certain details...then you wait for the clearance.

I've purchased early and I've purchased "on sale" not early. I don't live close enough to a port to purchase clearance. I have to travel and there are all sorts of other arrangements (excursions, etc.) that I care about as well.

My BEST purchase has been as early as possible. I had my pick of all the rooms available in my category and I just watched the prices go up and up and up. And then they were sold out. One came back and the price was ridiculous...but someone eventually bought it too.

As I said...it is what it is. I believe life has fewer frustrations if you just figure out the price you are willing to pay and then pay it and forget it so to speak. Why look at the clearance prices?

First post or not, I completely agree with the OP. It's a terrible business model. A customer-centric model that offers price protection should be standard operating. Many other businesses do away with this nonsense with price protection. Perhaps if the cruiselines hear this enough or see bookings drop dramatically until last minute they will be forced to stop. I would even pay a small fee to have my price protected and price drops offered as OBC (even partial).

In markets like NYC, unless a very special occasion or a peak holiday cruise I couldn't risk getting shut out of, I will never never book in advance again.

First post or not, I completely agree with the OP. It's a terrible business model. A customer-centric model that offers price protection should be standard operating. Many other businesses do away with this nonsense with price protection. Perhaps if the cruiselines hear this enough or see bookings drop dramatically until last minute they will be forced to stop. I would even pay a small fee to have my price protected and price drops offered as OBC (even partial).

In markets like NYC, unless a very special occasion or a peak holiday cruise I couldn't risk getting shut out of, I will never never book in advance again.

Carnival has a fare called Early Saver that gives OBC for price drops after final payment. The downside is that the deposit is non-refundable, and I believe there is a cost to change ship or sail date. I'd welcome something similar on Royal.

Mostly good responses and thanks for the feedback. I was disappointed with RCCL's lack of attempt to do anything...not even a discount coupon to a specialty restaurant. After all, they held my $4k for 5 months before the sailing which is what you'd think they would try to incentivize (if you're familiar with TVM you'll understand). Like conandrob240 noted, I'd be fine with paying a little more for a price guarantee and be done with it. BTW, the only reason I saw the price drop after the fact was because my brother in law got interested in getting on the same cruise and I did the research for him. AND...I was looking at a 7 day Western Mediterranean cruise on Harmony in 2016 for which I ALMOST made the deposit until I realized it was better not to. In any case, because I have travel flexibility, I wont make the same mistake again.

Anyone have thoughts on other cruise lines? I've only cruised RCCL thus far but am willing to give others a shot at my yearly cruise business. Thanks.

We are happy to hear you had such a great time on your first cruise vacation with us! Please accept our apologies for your disappointment with seeing price drops after your final payment date. Regrettably, this is one of the issues with supply and demand. Many guests make reservations without knowing if they will keep them or not. This drives price up. Once the final payment date arrives, guests cancel before they incur any penalty. This drives price down right after the final payment date. This does not happen on every sailing, but it does happen. Unfortunately, after the final payment date, our only option is to offer an upgrade, depending on availability. After reviewing your reservation, we see this option has already been offered. We are unable to adjust prices or offer onboard credit after the final payment date. Again, please accept our apologies for any disappointment. Rest assured that we have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department for an internal review.

I find your strategy wrong for my likings. In fact, if you bought at 5 months out from sailing date, IMO you most likely bought too late and your cruise fare was most likely priced at prime or high cruise fares. I find that you either book extremely early or extremely late. I only book cruises early. I have three cruises booked and each of them were booked 18 months or earlier of the cruise dates. There hasn't been a price drop yet that has effected my cruise fares. And mostly won't ever be. We're finally taking one of these cruises on the 25th of this month and the current 'after final payment date' is still $1600 higher than what we booked for the two of us.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

This has been my experience too. And why or why would anyone check prices AFTER final payment? They are just looking for a reason to be bitter. What is the point?

Beautifully put, Lisa! I agree completely. Once I make the final payment, I don't want to know if it drops.

As for airlines, the DOT requires that airlines allow you to cancel within 24 hours of a booking with no penalty as part of the Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections act (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4)) up to 7 days prior to departure so you can hold a reservation without payment and price shop day by day if you wanted to up until a week out.

Unless you're on a cruise that typically sells out, it makes no sense to book and pay early with RCCL. I gave them the entire fare 5 months before sailing and the day after the 75 day window for 100% cancellation refund, the price dropped 16% which equated to about $430 for us.

We always book our cruise the day it opens up, usually within the first hour of the day, so that I can get the particular cabin I want (aft balcony). Right now, a cruise I booked in May for September 2016 has already gone up $1600 pp. I will wait until 90 days before cruise to make final payment. Until that date, I will check periodically to see if the price comes down (which I doubt it will since as of yesterday the ship was almost fully sold out). After that, I will not check again. :)

I have always booked at least a year out and usually within a week or two there were some kind of drop in price, most of the time it was worth calling then again if you have a very good onboard credit it may not be worth it because you lose it. The only time I got a really big price drop was unfortunately right after 9/11. I like to get a certain cabin on a certain deck. I am fortunate enough that I never saw my cabin go for less even after final payment. Right now my cruise for next year is about $1,000 more than what I have reserved it for.

We always book early, get the room we want and the best rate. Never pay off completely until close to final payment and for the most part the price has really never gone as low as we paid. And the very, very few that have gone below we have got the better price. We are happy with this.

Sue

I have to say though I once had a booking on Celebrity, way back in the day, and there was a price drop after I booked. I called and they did honor the new, lower price. I guess this isn't done anymore.

Royal has a 48 hour price guarantee that is valid for bookings made after final payment.

Best Price Guarantee

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the "Going. Going. Gone Sales Events"; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=389&faqSubjectName=Best+Price+Guarantee&faqId=4201#8QMPvZOc13KarYad.99

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Mostly good responses and thanks for the feedback. I was disappointed with RCCL's lack of attempt to do anything...not even a discount coupon to a specialty restaurant. After all, they held my $4k for 5 months before the sailing which is what you'd think they would try to incentivize (if you're familiar with TVM you'll understand). Like conandrob240 noted, I'd be fine with paying a little more for a price guarantee and be done with it. BTW, the only reason I saw the price drop after the fact was because my brother in law got interested in getting on the same cruise and I did the research for him. AND...I was looking at a 7 day Western Mediterranean cruise on Harmony in 2016 for which I ALMOST made the deposit until I realized it was better not to. In any case, because I have travel flexibility, I wont make the same mistake again.

Anyone have thoughts on other cruise lines? I've only cruised RCCL thus far but am willing to give others a shot at my yearly cruise business. Thanks.

I think everyone has to figure out what's best for them. I am fairly new to cruising (only been on 4 cruises) but have a number booked all the way out to 2017. I normally book our next cruise while onboard a current cruise then use a travel agent to get incentives from them as well. So far, I have only seen the price go up; however, with a travel agent they also check and will give me a call if the price drops (haven't gotten a call yet). Cruising is so much fun for my wife and I; so we don't sweat the small stuff because it can take away from the joy of the cruise. I use this thought process, "if you bought a car last month and was happy with what you paid for it, then you friend tells you he bought the same car today and paid less for it, would you be upset?" Well, you were fine with what you paid for it until you started to compare with your friend; then your perspective changed because of the comparison, not your initial joy of booking the cruise. I hope you will enjoy your cruise.