Breakaway to Florida and Bahamas

bermuda83

Hi,

We (two couples in their early 50s) are leaving in two weeks for Florida and the Bahamas on NCL Breakaway and I have a few questions which I hope people can answer.

1. In Nassau and GSC, we would like to relax on a beach and possibly do some snorkeling. Can anyone recommend beaches where we could snorkel off of the beach? I am not very impressed by the excursions (or the reviews) being offered so we most likely will just take a taxi somewhere.

2. For relaxation in Nassau and GSC, should we consider staying on the boat at one or both of these locations or is it really worth it to get off of the boat?

3. If we go to the Lagoon on GSC, is the food available from NCL or at an additional cost?

I am open to any and all advice to make this a great trip- ports/excursions, restaurants, shows, anything. All is appreciated!

Thanks!

GSC is NCL's private island, food there is complimentary (with the exception of special dishes one can order when renting a cabana). Also if you happen to have the drink package, it is valid on GSC.

Personally with those two islands, I'd go to GSC and stay onboard in Nassau - no need to take taxis or anything. The few places worth visiting in Nassau are usually crowded, cost money and I rather enjoy the empty ship.

GSC is the private island.. Everything you need will be there. We purchased snorkeling gear on Amazon trips back, no flippers we have water shoes if needed. 20 bucks tops. The lagoon area is nice and quiet but not good snorkeling.. But don't miss GSC.

The lagoon area has a bar and food as well..

Nassau.. Melia resort is a nice relaxing day, or Blue Lagoon beach day.. Look at the port section on here.. I find the people of the Bahamas lovely.. They give you, what you give them.. Atlantis is like Vegas in the Caribbean.

Our plan last year was to go to GSC and stay on at Nassau. We missed GSC due to high waves so went to Nassau late that night. We did get off ship that night for a quick walk and stayed on the next day using slides while everyone was off.

Nassau does have Junkanoo beach which is about 10 minute walk from ship and free. Not the best beach in the world and can't comment on snorkeling but it is free and you get a nice view of the ships. A few food/beverage shacks there too.

Are you on the Breakaway sailing October 25th? We're on that cruise, we're a couple in our 50's and we'll probably stay on the ship in Nassau. Been there many times; nothing we want to see, although we love the Bahamas and the people! See you there!:)

We found we enjoyed GSC much more than we enjoyed Nassau. The lunch at GSC was, as posted, complimentary, and we found it to be GOOD. In fact, there was a coconut dessert served that we really liked, and that we did not find anywhere else, even on the ship. FASTASTIC !

Unless you are " into" the water adventure at Nassau, found it to be expensive as was posted, we took a bus and just walked around. Only one thing we found to be enjoyable was " swimming with the stingrays" as an excursion, but there is quite a walk from the place to catch that excursion. Had pictures taken with the stingrays, but apparently was NOT a Norwegian photo op, so we never did find out how to get those photos ourselves.

Enjoy !

You can walk to the British colonial Hilton in Nassau. It's a safe quick walk. Go to island marketing to reserve your very reasonable priced day pass that includes lounger umbrella gorgeous pool and nice beach plus food and drink credit

Bring cheapo snorkel gear but snorkeling is so so at best

On the way back to the ship you can do some quick junk shop perusing

There may or may not be beach activities at the Hilton but you are guaranteed a quiet beach day on a private beach with no locals hawking you and you will have use of a very nice pool and it will not be wall to wall people and you will have plenty of beach time as you are only a 10 minute walk away

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is good to know that the Hilton does not have locals trying to sell things on the beach. Might check that out - we are going on the 11/1 cruise.

Look into making a reservation though as they will sell out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just booked this for next week's cruise, never been but I'm willing to check it out, I've looked online and it looks nice.

Copied the below from the "resort for a day dot com" website:

Hilton - British Colonial Hilton Nassau

An Easy Walk from the Cruise Pier!

Includes $40 Food & Beverage Credit!

Total Price: $60.00

Deposit Required: $12.00

Balance due to resort upon arrival: $48.00

credit only, no cash

www.

resortforaday

.com

I just booked this for next week's cruise' date=' never been but I'm willing to check it out, I've looked online and it looks nice.

Copied the below from the "resort for a day dot com" website:

Hilton - British Colonial Hilton Nassau

An Easy Walk from the Cruise Pier!

Includes $40 Food & Beverage Credit!

Total Price: $60.00

Deposit Required: $12.00

Balance due to resort upon arrival: $48.00

credit only, no cash

www.

resortforaday

.com[/quote']

thanks