Upsell on Emerald Nov 2

vacation cruiser

What happens when no one is taking the upsell offers for balcony rooms there is a ton of them open will they go through a second time and lower the prices or just offer free upgrades or cabins will just set empty.
Princess will probably sweeten the deal but they are far more willing to let them go empty rather than give free upgrades. This is a relatively new marketing strategy.

Least likely result would be the cabins sitting empty (though as noted in the above reply, aversion to this has decreased lately).

Mini suites and suites are sold out for that date, but all other categories are at "last minute deal" sale pricing for new bookings only.

If balconies remain more undersold than inside or oceanview, the sale pricing will go away on those two categories steering all last minute bookers to balcony cabins (at probably a lower rate than early bookers paid for insides).

I personally have never received a second better upsell offer after ignoring the first one.

ETA: note that what I describe is pretty much what is happening to the cruise preceding yours on Oct 29: balconies for only $10 more than oceanview. So while "giveaway prices" will not be as low as in the past Princess knows how to sell precisely what is most available.

Edited by fishywood

We are on this cruise, Princess newbies as well, and was offered an upsell 2 days ago. We were originally in an obstructed o/v and was offered a balcony for $49/pp. We gladly accepted and are now in a balcony cabin midship on the Aloha deck. Our friends sailing with us was offered the same upsell and they accepted as well. Looking forward to our first ever Princess cruise after 17 with Carnival and 1 with RC.

We are on this cruise, Princess newbies as well, and was offered an upsell 2 days ago. We were originally in an obstructed o/v and was offered a balcony for $49/pp. We gladly accepted and are now in a balcony cabin midship on the Aloha deck. Our friends sailing with us was offered the same upsell and they accepted as well. Looking forward to our first ever Princess cruise after 17 with Carnival and 1 with RC.

Us too. I hope we haven't boxed Vacation Cruiser out of an upgrade. Good deal for us tho. Let's pray to the weather gods for that week.

• 4 weeks later...

I booked an Inside Guarantee on this cruise for a crazy price on October 24. About 4 or 5 days before sailing, I was assigned my room: a barely obstructed outside view. I would have been perfectly happy with any inside cabin on the ship. I was ectstatic about the free upgrade.

So, they do still exist. Just don't count on them. As someone said above, book a cabin you will be happy with. That way you won't be disappointed if you don't get a free upgrade, or even an upsell offer.