Sideways rooms

plunker

For those of you that have stayed in the sideways rooms did you like them more than the lengthwise ones? Any advantages to those rooms compared to the other ones? We have cruised 3 times with Princess and our TA booked us in a sideways cabin and we are not sure we will like it. Thanks

For those of you that have stayed in the sideways rooms did you like them more than the lengthwise ones? Any advantages to those rooms compared to the other ones? We have cruised 3 times with Princess and our TA booked us in a sideways cabin and we are not sure we will like it. Thanks

As always, opinions differ - for different reasons.

If you type in "princess sideways inside" into Cruise Critic search box, you will find lots of threads about these cabins. There are relatively many more of them on Royal/Regal than the Grand/Crown classes.

If you are not sure, why not tell your TA the type layout you prefer instead of letting him/her choose for you?

Personally, I would not mind trying out a sideways once just to see, but I'd like to know whether the bed is facing forward or aft (for layout reasons) and that is not an easy thing to know or find out ahead of time.

For the regular insides we are all used to, we also have a preference there for door opening side, but again, hard to know unless one had detail notes and map of the ship which isn't available.

We love them on the Royal/Regal and there is plenty of storage space and they are bigger than the regular inside rooms.

I've read different opinions on the size of the ones on Riviera deck of EP,KP,RU,CB. Optical illusion perhaps? Maybe a different distribution of the space?

But it's nice to hear they are bigger on Royal/Regal. Now that I have dove into the cabin details I see they should be 175 sqft compared to 166 sqft. I wonder where that extra 9 sqft manifests itself.

We have a GTY IA on Regal Nov 3rd (recent add-on booking to make a B2B), and I was kind of hoping just to get one of those to try it out for the 5 nights. How bad could it be? But we may end up with something else (Balcony is the next step) since these have been sold out and I barely managed to nab one when they opened up a couple one day. Could not select the 1 open specific cabin by the time I got at it and had to go with the GTY (and then it went to sold out). We shall see......

As always, opinions differ - for different reasons.

If you type in "princess sideways inside" into Cruise Critic search box, you will find lots of threads about these cabins. There are relatively many more of them on Royal/Regal than the Grand/Crown classes.

If you are not sure, why not tell your TA the type layout you prefer instead of letting him/her choose for you?

Personally, I would not mind trying out a sideways once just to see, but I'd like to know whether the bed is facing forward or aft (for layout reasons) and that is not an easy thing to know or find out ahead of time.

For the regular insides we are all used to, we also have a preference there for door opening side, but again, hard to know unless one had detail notes and map of the ship which isn't available.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157114

Had a sideways inside on the star, and loved it. Way more storage, and since I had contracted pneumonia on the Alaskan land tour to prior to the cruise I loved the complete and total darkness that let me nap all day if I needed to.

We love them on the Royal/Regal and there is plenty of storage space and they are bigger than the regular inside rooms.

We had one on a Grand class ship.

o A little bigger than regular insides

o Closets had doors on them

o Better layout

Did have to be careful when opening door to hallway if other person in cabin was not fully dressed since door is not far from the bed.

On the Royal/Regal some of these are cabins for four with two beds that stick out from the wall when not in use. Try to avoid these if only two persons will be in the room.

Pictures from a Grand class ship:

You can see the edge of the hallway door on the left.

101_1767EmeraldPrincessCabinR515_zpsb0788c2e.jpg

With closet doors open

101_1770EmeraldPrincessCabinR515_zps8202b235.jpg

with closet doors closed (bathroom is to the right of the closets)

101_1769EmeraldPrincessCabinR515_zpse878bdcc.jpg