Best over counter sea sickness meds

txgranny

tricky as it depends on the person and if they have any underlying issues or allergies .

standard OTC -meclizine which is the active ingredient in a couple name brand solutions.. (bonine) . dimenhydrinate is another which is the active ingredient ( Dramamine).

Both come in non drowsy formula.

my wife prefers meclizine ( original with out the caffeine ) taken at bedtime, helps her sleep and takels her sickness quite well.

other homeopathic /natural solutions go from ginger, pressure bands to crystals.

I would if u can consult a doctor

I bring Bonine, the wristbands, and ginger gum with me. I bring Dramamine only if the boat is really rocky when I'm sleeping, as it is drowsy-making. I try to avoid using Bonine because I drink (we get Cheers!) and you're not supposed to drink with it. I have, in a few instances, taken it after/while drinking, and nothing terrible happened, BUT I know it says not to. The ginger gum is actually pretty amazing. I bring diet ginger ale in cans too.

I have really bad seasickness tendencies but not so bad on cruises luckily; still I always have to plan for it as there's always at least 1 night I need something. I take bonine ahead of time if we go on excursions on smaller boats.

Wasn't sure if I suffered from seasickness - until I woke up the morning of our first cruise. Luckily I packed some Bonine just in case. Worked great, helped DW when she got a slight case later in the cruise. Helps to start taking it the night before your cruise to get into your system...

Thought i'd ask the experts here, i don't suffer but my neighbors daughter who's going is concerned. Told her to call dr and get patch but thought you all may know OTC meds that are effective

Thank you for recommending she speak with a doctor.

I have to make a few comments on Scopolamine patches. Too many people think because they are a patch rather than a pill that they are not really medicine. Did you know that are also used to treat Parkinson's disease, muscle spasms, and irritable bowel syndrome. It has also been prescribed "off label" for asthma, depression, as a smoking-cessation remedy, to relieve the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy and is used on many of my hospice patients to “dry” them up to decrease the likelihood of pneumonia.

The patches work great but they are a prescription medication and need to be used as directed. The are not a mediation you should share.

Others have made some great suggestions. Hubby uses sea bands. Grandson uses ginger pills. Daughter that can't ride in the back seat of a car, looks at a roller coaster and get sick doesn't get sea sick at all. And daughter had sailed in some very rough seas in the north pacific.

Have a wonderful cruises.

Bring several different things to try, because you won't know what works best.

Start with the most natural (simple ginger pills).

Wrist bands are good, too.

The patch has side effects (dry mouth, lethargy, dizziness...)

My BIL suffers from terrible motion sickness, and he found the ginger pills to be amazingly effective. He took one every few hours and didn't feel seasick.

I take Bonine once a day after dinner. If I feel the seas a little rough then I take 2. I also bring ginger pills and elastic sea bands. I read a lot of negative things about the patch that goes behind the ear. Dizziness, dry mouth, double vision.

I read a lot of negative things about the patch that goes behind the ear. Dizziness, dry mouth, double vision.

Mine was blurred vision...to the point that I could not read the menu in the MDR!

I suffer from motion sickness and I've tried just about everything on the market. Last cruise I took Bonine...actually it's the generic brand that I got from the pharmacy at Target. Just ask at the counter and they can get it for you. It's MUCH cheaper than the brand name and works just as well. I just bought a bottle yesterday for a friend for our upcoming cruise and it's $5.05 for a bottle of 100. The brand name was $5.09 for only 12!

I sincerely hope that she doesn't need anything and that you guys have a wonderful cruise!

I've never been sick on a boat, but cars and planes kill me.

Dramamine and Bonnie both work, but I'm not sure if that's just because they knock me out and you can't get motion sickness if you are asleep.

I've never tried the patch.

Honestly I like the taste of ginger. There are hard ginger candies sold near here that I keep around and suck on, but crystallized ginger or ginger ale (if it is made with real ginger and not artificial flavors) both work great and taste good. I normally stick with any of that.

Dramamine II(the NON drowsy one) and Bonine are just brand names for the SAME medicine which is called Meclazine. You can buy this generic pill over the counter in any drug store/pharmacy.

You don't have to pay extra for the brand name to get the same exact dosage.

DH takes 2 pills but I only take one a day.

Ginger pills may be fine but I never know what the dosage is (how many pills do you need to work?) so I haven't bothered to try since the Meclazine works great for us!

My husband gets seasick. He always uses ginger pills. It's most natural. I would get her to see a doctor to be sure what might be right for her. Mention the things people posted when she goes and the doctor can recommend what is best for her. My husband usually starts his ginger pills a few days before the cruise.

Mine was blurred vision...to the point that I could not read the menu in the MDR!

I suffer from motion sickness and I've tried just about everything on the market. Last cruise I took Bonine...actually it's the generic brand that I got from the pharmacy at Target. Just ask at the counter and they can get it for you. It's MUCH cheaper than the brand name and works just as well. I just bought a bottle yesterday for a friend for our upcoming cruise and it's $5.05 for a bottle of 100. The brand name was $5.09 for only 12!

I sincerely hope that she doesn't need anything and that you guys have a wonderful cruise!

Oh yes....so true! Could not see a thing on the menu and had to trust my husband to order for me.

Bonnie is the best....generic is cheaper.

Surprisingly....cruise ships don't affect my sensitivity.....but.....a small boat like one we took on an excursion to the great barrier reef....nearly turned me inside out. Did not take my Bonine in ample enough time and just sent it back up into a sack they gave passengers for just those times. Luckily I was not alone.

You may find on a large cruise ship you are fine but if going on an excursion on a smaller boat BE PREPARED AND TAKE YOUR MEDICATION...GINGER GUM.....GINGER CANDY...GINGER ALE and pray!:D

Thought i'd ask the experts here, i don't suffer but my neighbors daughter who's going is concerned. Told her to call dr and get patch but thought you all may know OTC meds that are effective

If I were you I wold take the advice of a Physician that knows her conditions and what other medications she is taking. I doubt that many cruisers on this forum are medical experts.:)

What works for one person might not for the next. If you are on prescription meds, you might want to check with your doctor to make sure whatever you take doesn't interfere with your medication. For example, if you're on blood thinners, you need to stay away from ginger.

Otherwise, one can try various OTC ahead of time and then take a few (ones that don't give you side effects) with you.

I've always used meclazine. It is generic Bonine, much less expensive.

Similar to Dramamine but without drowsiness as a side effect.